• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of water pokemon!

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Seriously Black and White have like 2 pokemon you can find in the water. The fish and the jellyfish. Thats it. Whats the point of getting a fishing rod.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • Alomamola,Tympole line, Basculin, Panpour line, Tirtouga line, Ducklett, Frillish line, Oshawatt line....Did I miss anyone? But yeah there aren't enough water pokemon in Black and White :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I agree entirely actually. It's probably even worse due to the fact that you can't even get a fishing rod before the post-game and that you can't get Surf until after the 6th gym while there are bodies of water before that (and even water you can't surf in, which I still find pretty stupid - you should be able to swim in all water not just random rivers throughout the region) and yeah when you see what's offered in terms of water Pokemon, it's like, why the wait?

At least you can get Pokemon that can learn surf early on, but again there's no real point if there's nothing to be offered (though I believe you can trade for a Pokemon with surf early on without having the HM but I didn't get a chance to test that earlier lol).

But yeah a larger variety of Pokemon found in water would've been nice, even Ducklett/Swanna would be appropriate for the water as well as the bridges.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Alomamola,Tympole line, Basculin, Panpour line, Tirtouga line, Ducklett, Frillish line, Oshawatt line....Did I miss anyone? But yeah there aren't enough water pokemon in Black and White :(
    I think he meant in the Water not Water pokemon as a whole. Which the only ones in the water are Alomamola, Basculin, Frillish, and Jellicent.

I am not really disappointed in either there being a small amount of Water types or Water pokemon within the Water. We have he plenty of abundant amount of Water pokemon in the past, so this region seems to make up for it a bit with the exclusion of many Water Routes or pokemon.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
  • I really don't mind the lack of water pokemon in unova, because water has the most species the last time I counted anyway. Most of the new water pokemon get more and more unoriginal anyway imo.

Tympole line = wannabes of Poliwag line
    Ducklett line = Psyduck line mixed with Farfetch'd imo
    Alomamola = bigger Luvdisc (at first I thought it was its evo)
    Basculin = it's alright I could take it or leave it
    Panpour line = I don't like them
    Tirtouga line = I like them but there are already 6 other turtle pokes
    Frillish line = I like the gender differences but the Tentacool line are better
    Oshawatt line = I hate Oshawott and Samurott, but I <3 Dewott it's so badass

Poison - Grey

The bringer of cake...
    Years
  • Seriously Black and White have like 2 pokemon you can find in the water. The fish and the jellyfish. Thats it. Whats the point of getting a fishing rod.

I agree that there arn't enough water pokemon, but thats not the point of the fishing rod.
    The point of the rod is to catch previous generation pokemon after the game, because alot of those pokemon shouldn't be found on land. Thats the only point I see, all Unova pokemon caught with a rod can be causght somewhere else....

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I agree that there arn't enough water pokemon, but thats not the point of the fishing rod.
    The point of the rod is to catch previous generation pokemon after the game, because alot of those pokemon shouldn't be found on land. Thats the only point I see, all Unova pokemon caught with a rod can be causght somewhere else....

Plus, thats probably why they don't give yu the rod till yu beat the game anyways...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The lack of Water Pokemon in Unova disappointed me. The only Water Unova Pokemon I was happy with were Oshawott, Tirtouga, Panpour and Frillish. Basculin was alright, Tympole didn't appeal to me (because it was denied Ice Beam and Waterfall) and Alomomola (which is rather terrible in singles).

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    Somebody some Tentacruel is better than Jellicent. Are you mad? I'm not gonna flame but I'm tempted to go on a cursing rant about that claim.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • I think he meant in the Water not Water pokemon as a whole. Which the only ones in the water are Alomamola, Basculin, Frillish, and Jellicent.

I am not really disappointed in either there being a small amount of Water types or Water pokemon within the Water. We have he plenty of abundant amount of Water pokemon in the past, so this region seems to make up for it a bit with the exclusion of many Water Routes or pokemon.

Ah I see but yeah theres still not enough water pokemon and those that are there the majority of them are found on land...They actually included Basculin as a last minute type of deal though didn't they? I mean GF realized they lacked fishies is what I read but it was already late in developtment...

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
  • Oshawatt line = I hate Oshawott and Samurott, but I <3 Dewott it's so badass

I totally agree with you, thats why i chose him, my dewott is lvl 59.
    But IMHO there are enough water pokemon. just wish keldeo; he is water type was available through in game and not just event. i want one bad!

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    The only water pokemon i really like are oshawott (level 89) and ducklett (level 65). Don't like their evo lines though. There should been more water pokemon though as said above ^_^

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Isshu has a lack of Water Pokemon.... Just like Sinnoh had a lack of Fire Pokemon, Kanto had only one Ghost and one Dragon Type Pokemon, Johto had a lack of Steel types (I can only think of three evo lines at this moment), Hoenn had a lack of Ground type Pokemon. It's not unusual for this kind of thing to happen.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • There is a huge lack of water Pokemon for choice. I especially noticed this when I battled swimmers before the E4 and the shallow variety of Pokemon their teams had. Basculin was a late addition because they noticed the lack of water types and they needed more, so they made a 2 for 1.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Alomamola,Tympole line, Basculin, Panpour line, Tirtouga line, Ducklett, Frillish line, Oshawatt line....Did I miss anyone? But yeah there aren't enough water pokemon in Black and White :(
    Tympole isn't exactly a water type, it's only Electric type. I would have wanted it to be water/electric, but I don't like Eelektross anyway. But yeah I agree on the lack of water types, Jellicent is a good one though.

EDIT - OK OOPS I MISTOOK IT FOR TYNAMO LOL. Nevertheless I do think Tynamo should be water type XD

Last edited:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • People normally complain about there being too many Water Pokemon in general. Clearly Game Freak decided to cut down. A lot.

Years
  • It doesn't bother me in the least.
    There are plenty of water type pokemon overall, and this IS a different region.
    It does get monotonous if you haven't beat the game already, but you also don't have to deal with a lot of water. I like that it's different and makes it seem more varied as far as the continents go. If I'm not mistaken, this release had more of an emphasis on bug and grass types? It sort of makes sense that water types would be less prevalent.

Back