• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of water pokemon!

blue

gucci
    Years
    The overabundance of water Pokémon from previous generations makes up for it for me anyway so I'm fine with it. Theres only very few ghost types which disappoints me.

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
    Years
    When I went through the game it didn't cross my mind that there was a lack of water types. Maybe it was because the Oshawott line is so blindingly awesome perhaps? And so any other water types were over shadowed? Well, only unless you didn't choose Oshawott as your starter, which I did.

Years
    When I went through the game it didn't cross my mind that there was a lack of water types. Maybe it was because the Oshawott line is so blindingly awesome perhaps? And so any other water types were over shadowed? Well, only unless you didn't choose Oshawott as your starter, which I did.

I chose Oshawott as well (because I like him) and although I caught several other Water-types, he stayed with me throughout my journey. I have since raised him into a mighty Samurott.

Intelligence

The return
    Years
    I agree that there is a lack of Unova Water Pokemon, but there isn't a lack of Water Pokemon overall. I have caught many rare Pokemon in Rippling Water and fishing in Rippling Water. During the story you struggle with Water Pokemon, but after the story... I have a Kingdra, Dragonite (I know he isn't a Water type, but you can catch him in Rippling Water), Wailord, Poliwag, Poliwhirl and more, because of the Super Rod.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I was disappointed in the relative lack of Water critters in Unova. As much as there are way too many Water-types in general, some of the best critters ever come from such a large sample. Indeed, none of the Unova-native water-dwellers really interested me in a real way: after beating the Elite Four for the first time, the first thing I did was box my Samurott and get me a Kingdra (after trying for hours to get a damn Lapras). Best decision I made for the rest of the game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2011
    I'm slightly disappointed with the lack of Water type Pokemon too. Though there are plenty from other regions and generations, particularly Hoenn, so it is ok. I'd prefer to have less Water types which are more original in design and concept, rather than more which aren't useful.

Last edited:

nekohime

Neko of the Jotho
    Years
    • Age 29
    • WI
    • Seen Nov 2, 2011
    totally agree!! need more water pokmon in Black *pout* lol.

I only caught like2 water pokemon that I liked out of the 5 I have seen so far..

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    There was never that much variety. Even with Hoenn's Wingul, Pellipper, Luvdisc, Wailmer, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Carvanha, and Sharpedo that's only 8. And that's the most variety out of any other region.

On a slightly different note, Frillish and it's fat evolved form seem weird for the water. They're part Ghost, why are they outside in the middle of the day?

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    There are tons of great water pokemon!

Ruby/Saphire had some really disappointing ones although there were so many. Although there are not a great amount of water pokemon, the quality of many of them are great.

Ones that I like:

Jellicent
    Lack of water pokemon!

Simipour
    Lack of water pokemon!

Swanna
    Lack of water pokemon!

Samurott (Best final-stage of water starters)
    Lack of water pokemon!

Legendary Water Pokemon

Keldeo (I love him!)
    Lack of water pokemon!

The ones I am not fond of:

Seismitoad
    Lack of water pokemon!

Basculin
    Lack of water pokemon!

Carracosta (Several people like him)
    Lack of water pokemon!

Alomomola (What is up with the name?)
    Lack of water pokemon!

So above are the 9 final stages of water pokemon from Black and White.
    I like 5 out of 9, which is great; I only intend to use one water-type on my team.

Number of water-types introduced:

Gen 1 - 32 (21%)
    Gen 2 - 18 (18%)
    Gen 3 - 25 (19%)
    Gen 4 - 14 (13%)
    Gen 5 - 18 (12%)

Okay there are 9 types of pokemon. 1/9=11%
    I think that the other generations had too many filler pokemon. There are quite enough water pokemon in my opinion.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I agree with you. The most common type got treated very badly in BW, just look at the comparison:
    Gen 1: 28 Water-types (0 Legendary).
    Gen 2: 18 Water-types (1 Legendary) + Water-types from other regions.
    Gen 3: 25 Water-types (1 Legendary) + Water-types from other regions .
    Gen 4: 13 Water-types (3 Legendary) + Water-types from other regions.
    Gen 5: 17 Water-types (1 Legendary).
    BW has very few water-types and many of them have low stats, are mediocre in battling or are outclassed by others (Alomomola, Basculin, Simipour and Swanna).

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Is there were enough Water types in the game, there would have probably been a Water gym in the game (and no, Cress doesn't count since he only has one Water type)

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
    I actually prefer this level of water Pokemon to those of other regions. Water has always been a common type, but I had always felt overwhelmed with the amounts that were found in other games compared to the other types. Ice for example has been a remarkably uncommon type in the past games, but now in Black/White there are finally enough to make then a usable early-game choice.

I support the movement of less water Pokemon. I prefer having a balance of all types rather than making some uncommon and others common.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    ^ this ^

Gen 1. Its so annoying fighting all these Water Pokemon while surfing.
    Gen 2. Why do they have so much Water Pokemon. Why do I have to surf so much.
    Gen 3. I'm sick and tired of surfing everywhere. All these water Pokemon are so annoying.
    Gen 4. More surfing...More Water Pokemon...RAGE!

Gen 5......WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL MY WATER POKEMON?!
    sums it up nicely :p Although I think it was okay after all later you get all the pokemon anyway.

bubblebeam

*splash*
    Years
    As a huge water Pokemon lover, I think having this amount of water Pokemon is good. Water is the most common type, so cutting the amount makes it slightly less common in comparison to all the other types.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    It was hard for me to look and train one as they got low stats, but I managed to get one and it eventually helped me pass through the elite four and defeat Flint.

Although yeah, it's a pretty common type, so having less ones are actually good, instead having those that are uncommon is a great idea! :'3

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    This gen there is actually a good amount of water pokemon. There are eight familes compared to poison with three and ice with three as well, not including legendaries. So while there may not be as many water types as previous gens, there is still more than enough

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't really think the lack of waters are a bad thing, there's still ways around not having that typing. In game, the worst you'll come across is a rock/ground type which can be nailed down easily with the 50 billion fighting types and grasses in the game.

Back