• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Battle Format?

pkmin3033

We've had new battle styles introduced in the last few games now - Triples, Rotation, Inverse and, most recently, Sky Battles. Plus the Horde battles of Gen VI could be considered a new format. Do you think Sun and Moon will introduce a new battle style? What form would this take?

I'd quite like to see something new again, although I have no idea what it might be. Maybe some sort of Day/Night battles that restrict your choices to certain types? Sky battles only allowed you to use flying types or Pokemon with Levitate. Perhaps Phantom Battles that only let you use ghost or dark types or something?

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I feel like a natural progression from Sky Battles would be Underwater Battles but then ORAS would've been a great time to unveil them. I've never thought it made much sense that Rock/Ground/Fire-types could battle underwater without even some sort of disadvantage, let alone battle underwater at all in the first place. It could be cool to have Underwater battles where all Pokemon can participate but Ground/Fire/Rock-types have their speed or defences lowered, or Water-types have an increased speed while underwater, or something.

I'd quite like to see something new again, although I have no idea what it might be. Maybe some sort of Day/Night battles that restrict your choices to certain types? Sky battles only allowed you to use flying types or Pokemon with Levitate. Perhaps Phantom Battles that only let you use ghost or dark types or something?

Why would only certain types of moves/Pokemon be useable when it's night? Sure, it might be physically dark when it's night but it doesn't make sense that you therefore shouldn't be able to use certain type moves/Pokemon.

pkmin3033

Why would only certain types of moves/Pokemon be useable when it's night? Sure, it might be physically dark when it's night but it doesn't make sense that you therefore shouldn't be able to use certain type moves/Pokemon.
    I have absolutely no idea; I was just throwing it out there. There could always be special areas and/or weather effects or something that could negate or seriously hinder certain types of moves...it's highly improbable, sure, but it might fit the general theme. It'd be more likely it wouldn't stop them being used, just make them pretty damn useless.

For some reason I'm thinking type-specific battles might be an option...like, in a dojo where you can only use fighting-type Pokemon. Almost like being part of a Gym, since most gym trainers will use the same type of Pokemon as a Gym Leader. That could be interesting.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    Unsure if this will be the game but they said they wanted to make battles more simple. Now what this means is anyone's guess. Could mean they go back to the Gen 1 days. Or they just take away like abilities.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I thinl there is going to be a retro facility for the Gen 1 Pokemon. No natures, abilities, or IVs, no need to convert all that when limiting their use to one place.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd prefer it if they didn't introduce any more types of battles, we have more than enough now. I'm pretty sure there are new methods of battle they could introduce, but I much prefer the standard single or double battles.

Years
  • Like Blue said, I'm okay with what we have right now plus it's way too soon to introduce another new format especially after we got four new types of battles added over the last two generations.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • New Battle Formats?

Last generation, they added Sky Battles and Inverse Battles, what are some new battle formats you think will appear within Sun/Moon? I still would like that Randomizer Battle Format I came up with in Building Your Own Gen 7 event.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think I'd prefer if they worked a bit more to incorporate the existing battle formats into the actual storyline and region. Let's have a gym leader(s) who specializes in triple or rotation battles.

Double battles have definitely found their place in the games but it seems like triple and rotation battles are still in an awkward position. You don't really see them unless you go out of your way to participate in restaurant battles or approach some npc for an optional battle.

I'm not sure about inverse battles though. I think it's cool to have it and I think it would be neat if they expanded the idea into a restaurant-like challenge but I think it might be too confusing if they were just dotted around the region as random trainers. (Unless there was some way to very clearly indicate that they were an inverse trainer)

Years
  • Like what one post said, we don't need any new formats, especially given how recent both 5th and 6th Gen are with what they introduced.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    I felt the game focused way too much on singles Like sky Battles were XY only and triple,rotation and inverse seemed it was so rare. Would be interesting to make gyms out of them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Rotation would of worked for the first Gym of Black & White if you would of fought all 3 at the same time, rotating between the different types.

Rotation could be used for Multityped Gyms.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Honestly, I think they should focus their innovations on the current and most frequently used battle systems (Singles/Doubles) rather than creating new ones that get left by the wayside. Nobody is ever really interested in these new battle systems and they're just largely unnecessary and poorly implemented most of the time.

Back