• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Scheduled Downtime - Server upgrade discussions

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    How much memory (RAM and swap I guess) will the new server have? Seeing as the majority of errors I've been getting are "Out of available memory", it'd be useless to upgrade the servers processor but keep the amount of RAM.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    That's good, hopefully there will be a positive drastic difference in how well the site is running then.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Two whole days, huh? :\
    That stinks. :'(
    Well, at least it will [hopefully] fix those fatal and database errors.
    I get then everyday. -_-
    GL with the...moving...:D

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • the new server also has a much faster bus and disk i/o.. should be a noticeable improvement.

this is a newer generation processor as well and has way more cache on-chip then the old one.. yet another thing to speed up processing and limit RAM usage.

but in all honesty we just don't know how it will perform till we get PC onto it and it running under heavy loads.

the down-time days are really needed as tar/zipping the site(s) data for moving is VERY cpu/RAM intensive and we need it all focused on that process and not serving webpages or email.. that's why we're shutting off the server.

Update: new PC IP address (pending)

most likely we'll be setting PC up with the IP of 174.133.255.180 (its not there yet so don't bother clicking / visiting it) if you want, start checking it on the evening of the 20th.. we should have PC moved by then.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • I for one think that if the problem is recovered then PC will get more and more active as most people don't like the fact that every second there is an error or something along the lines of it xD, please try your hardest to fix it xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think it'll boost activity.

Activity mostly comes from when new games are released/holidays...not from people returning to PC from the fatal errors/DBE's being gone. If they like PC, they should just put up with it, and not leave while the errors are occuring.

Also, downtime sucks but hopefully successful.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
  • OOOOoooooOOhhhHHHHhhhhhh quad core.... mmmmm

anyway, whenever somebody changes a server, it's basically like changing....say... your tv, you still get the same programs, on the same channels, but the picture is better and the sound is better.

so...what are these mysterious errors i am hearing about? maybe i'm too new, but i haven't seen any.... i think these "errors" are just made up.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • They aren't every now and them mucus, there will be a Database error and you won't be able to get on PC, it happens frequently and it probably is because mods and staff have been trying hard to get rid of them, then they came to the conclusion to sort of "move" or change server. Also is this "move" JUST to get rid of the errors or is there more?

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Yes! No more database errors and fatal errors! You would not beleive how many i get every day.. hopefully the only thing that stops me from going onto PC will be my dodgy connection!

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Noo! You're gonna make me miss my 1 year anniversary here!

Ah well, it's for the good of the community.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Eh. Hopefully this will cure the stupid Database Erros. And Toblerone, we're still not quite sure that this will fix it. We're just keeping our fingers crossed. I'll just have to find something else to do those days. Maybe I'll be on my trip that chunk of days.

Last edited:

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    That's annoying, Gofre! Bad luck.

Yes, we'll have to keep our fingers crossed, and hope that the fatal errors etc. will be no more.

MudMast

Does not exist.
    Years
  • wow, no more errors?

hmm, people will test that theory and open many tabs/windows waiting until the site crashes.

we need a way to make it so people cant open many tabs.
    something like 3 should be the maximum?

Anyway, hope the move (again) works this time :D

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • We have finally found our new slogan! should be the slogan. ;x

Ahh, finally the Fatal Errors are coming to an end. but3wholedaysjustwhatwereyouthinking? *shot*

I swear, if this doesn't fix the Fatal Error problem, I will sue you guys. XD
    Hopefully this works.

:D

Years
  • I am glad that the new server will hopefully eliminate the server problems. I am also glad this will occur after my birthday tomorrow.:classic:

Back