• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Jellicent versus Chandelure

Who is the best ghost?!

• Total voters

DestinyDecade

Voice of Destiny
Years
  • My vote is on Jellicent. Sure, you can disagree with me but I personally like Jellicent over Chandelure. Sure, Chandelure has some advantages but Jellicent is what suits me. Personal tastes.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • its a fat pedo jellyfish vs bad @$$ soul sucking chandelier that steals souls and would fry that pedo-fish easy win

Jellicent sinks ships, actually. ;D Not only that, but it's hinted that it murders the crew members of the ship too. Pretty awesome in my opinion. :) Hmmm, Chandelure sucks souls? You mean with the many other ghost Pokemon. :P Plus, male Jellicent have a mustache and look like the Pringels guy, your argument is invalid. :P

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I like both of these Pokémon, but my vote has to go to Chandelure. My reasons for picking Chandelure are pretty much the same reasons that Hikari stated. I used Chandelure on my first run on White and it was exceptional, and it has an outstanding design. I also love its previous evolutions; the whole line is an example of outstanding Pokémon design.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
    Years
  • Jellicent sinks ships, actually. ;D Not only that, but it's hinted that it murders the crew members of the ship too. Pretty awesome in my opinion. :) Hmmm, Chandelure sucks souls? You mean with the many other ghost Pokemon. :P Plus, male Jellicent have a mustache and look like the Pringels guy, your argument is invalid. :P

i only know 3 pokemon that suck souls Shedinja Duskinor and chandelure and a mustache is your decicing factor its speed sucks i know a fire ghost would beat a water ghost look at the %

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    no jellicent is losing...
    its not even close

think it has something to do with choosing the female pic stead of the male lol

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I've only just realised how they could be considered 'opposites' of each other regarding their typing and their stat distribution. Neat! /slowpoke

Anyway, I enjoyed using either for my team, and I think they both have really good movesets that complement their stat distribution, but if I had to choose one over the other, I guess I'd pick the more offensively-inclined Chandelure. I think what separated them for me was their designs: I like Jellicent's Pringles man look, but Chandelure simply beats it out for me in terms of seamless integration of both of its types to its haunting, and graceful design.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Okay I think I choose Jellicent for competitive purposes. :x Mainly the fact that usually Terrakion is choiced and a ghost typing is really useful. As for Chandelure, it's outclassed by Heatran imo for general usefulness although you could say typing is good for Chandelure but idk SR is pretty common and Heatran gets the bonus of not being hurt as much. n_n SO. JELLICENT FOR NOW.

HOWEVER I COULD CHANGE MY MIND SO FEEL FREE TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

-cracks neck, knuckles, and back-
    Challenge accepted.

My vote obviously goes to Jellicent, especially since you put up the pink one, which I thank you VERY kindly for.
    However, this isn't why I love, and am obsessed with, Jellicent, pink or blue.

Jellicent is best known as being an amazingly wall, while being able to inflict some decent damage on its enemies when done right.
    For example (following information is from smogon) :

Below are just a number of damage calculations that demonstrate Jellicent's power. All calculations involving Water Spout assume rainy weather (unless stated otherwise), and Jellicent's HP is at 100%:

Water Spout vs 4 HP / 252 SpD Calm Blissey: 40.81% - 48.29%
    Water Spout vs 112 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 79.18% - 93.31%
    Water Spout vs 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 68.54% - 81.13%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 47.44% - 55.97%
    Water Spout vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 56.04% - 65.94%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 121.70% - 143.16%
    Water Spout vs 28 HP / 252 SpD Calm Wobbuffet: 85.23% - 100.57%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 192 SpD Sassy Tyranitar (Sand): 75.74% - 89.60%
    Water Spout vs 252 HP / 92 SpD Ninetales (Sun): 78.86% - 93.14%
    Shadow Ball vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 70.88% - 84.07%
    Shadow Ball vs 220 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 80.81% - 95.96%

This is of course a Choice Specs Jellicent with a Modest nature. Though not entirely impressive, it's able to hit many of the metagame's bit favorites pretty hard. With Water Absorb Jellicent can switch into many other Water-type attacks, practically completely shutting down a Choice-Azumarill, forcing out Heatran, and Jirachi will be under some serious pressure.

Regardless if this solidifies your choice, Jellicent will always be my jelly filled champion. <3

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • My vote also went to Jellicent, but only in its male form because it's a water type and I like my Pokemon to be the same colour as its typing :P

I love Jellicent because I love the idea of a Water/Ghost type more than I love the idea of a Fire/Ghost type. Also, in a fight Jellicent would win :P

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Overall I prefer Chandelure--his type and design is great! I'm also a bit biased because I feel Lampent is one of the best Pokemon names. But I also enjoy Pringles man and his great walling capabilities. Still, I have to go with Chandelure. Jellicent has trolled me far too often for me to prefer him.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah so I decided on Jellicent since defensively it's pretty nice whereas Chandelure just isn't really. :x I lose though! :(

ANYWAY. Unstickying for new weekly poll soon. The end of round one is p soon, I think.

Years
  • Well Nica, Chandelure had a big margin over Jellicent with 20 votes separating them.

Yay that I won this round cos Chandelure is one of my faves!

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Jellicent. It's not particularly strong, and its design is very meh, but I like the idea of such a gender difference, even if it can't be as awesome as Nidoran family's was in the first gen. And, it's a water type, knowing that I prefer this type than fire type.
    Chandelure is just for me the kind of Pokémon that ruin the 5th gen. Its design isn't that bad, but, the fact that it's just a lamp is pretty ridiculous...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • My vote goes to Jellicent. I've used both in game and Chandelure is definitely better because to me Jellicent is more of a wall, but competitively I love my Jellicent, and I just like him better <3

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • Chandeluuuuure. I love its typing, I love its entire evolution line, and as soon as Shadow Tag comes out, chaos will rain down upon the metagame. or maybe they'll just ban it to ubers, idk

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Chandelure or Jellicent? You choooosssseee ;)

Chandy still wins for me. What about everyone else?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I've used both of these and they were great. However, my Chandelure was able to keep its own in battle for longer than my Jellicent, who was OHKO'ed often. Chandelure is also cooler-looking.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Jellicent for me specially female Jellicent. It has an intriguing and surprisingly dark lore and design. The Female form also has a regal purple colouration.

Water Absorb is a great ability and in Gen 5 I had a female Jellicent called Helena which was part of my PWT Champion winning team.

Chandelure is a cool Pokemon and may have the best cry in the entire series but Jellicent still wins here.

Last edited:
    Back