• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does it seem that Confusion and Evasion statuses are against you?

Years
  • YES! Thank you, some other PC members who feel like they get screwed over when we get inflicted with a status!

I've remembered times where my Pokemon were infatuated and wouldn't attack 80% of the time (instead of the purported 50%). I've also remembered when my opponent's Pokemon were confused but hit me 100% of the time for 3+ turns. Or when I miss twice with a 90% accuracy move. Yeah, those times were absolutely horrid. Of course, Brendino makes a good point in that most times we remember losses more than gains (case in point, probably had confusion work for me numerous times but I only remember the times it's worked against me). Loss aversion seems to be a key factor in this discussion.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Oh, definitely. Confusion, sleep, and full para bother the living crap out of me more than anything else. Inflicting the conditions is its own gamble so I count my blessings if I even manage to do that, but they never seem to stick or function. The enemy always seems to break out of confusion, never hit itself, wake up, or attack normally while paralyzed. I've just learned to not trust status conditions except for poison.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Definitely. After one Double Team boost, the opponent almost becomes impossible for my Pokemon to hit unless I carry something such as Aerial Ace/ Aura Sphere. It's rather frustrating since even usually 100% accurate moves miss. And then when I attempt to lower the foe's accuracy, they shrug it off casually and proceed to attack with all sorts of things- Fire Blasts, Thunders and for some reason, they still manage to hit while I'm sitting here with my Earthquakes missing. :[

Infatuation has always been the most troublesome one for me. It feels like almost all the time that my Pokemon are unable to move due to this and they rarely attack. Combine that with confusion and paralysis and you've got a kid screaming for ten minutes straight, "STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF!".

But I feel like it's meant to be harder for you. It's meant to help turn around a match, to give the game a proper challenge probably. I'm not quite sure but I feel that it's meant to be harder for the player, mainly to make you use strategy etc.

Guest123_x1

Every time my active Pokémon was hit with paralysis or confusion, more than 75% of the time it would be unable to attack-even though documentation suggests 50%. The battle mechanics are always slanted in favor of the NPC. (Never mind that most video games are rigged much like Dotto and The $64,000 Question anyways.)

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
    Years
  • O.M.G do not get my started on this.... the dice rolls are blatantly rigged for certain battles (Gym/Rival) nothing like seeing a 75% acc move miss 4 times in a row.... or like how whenever you use moves that may cause flinching it may work 1 out of every 20 times but for the foe's bite it will cause flinch reliably every 3rd or 4th hit. Lastly my personal favorite is crits I swear gym leaders crit every 5th move... in your 20 attacks you will crit maybe one (without buffs) whitney's miltank? yeah that will pull crits like every 4th move :/

Edit: oh yea forgot one more... Sleep it seems whenever I get put to sleep it will be 4 turns minimum but when I put a foe to sleep? nope 2 turns....

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I feel as those who feel as though they get haxed more often than their opponents is because, whenever their pokemon hits despite confusion or evasion, they just mash A without paying attention. It's only when they get haxed do they pay attention to what's going on, having to re-evaluate their strategy.

The Local Joke

Trubbish in the Classroom
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    In my Pokemon Black playthrough, I literally counted only two times that my confused Pokemon successfully attacked the opponent.

Years
  • ...in reality, it's probably just that I remember the times it negatively effected my own Pokemon rather than when it worked on the opponent...

I try very hard to believe this, but given the results i've percieved I don't know if I really do. I'd be interested to know from someone who's done actual research(looking at code or good old fashioned chance and data) if it is slightly rigged.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I agree, it does often seem to work against you more than for you, but I think it's just a case of the bad times sticking out more than the good times so it creates the illusion that it's constant haha. I'm pretty certain if we were to experiment properly it'd equal out at the expected ratios, but in-game especially confusion, infatuation, paralysis, evasion, etc, definitely do seem to favour the opponents over you. Or maybe I'm juts making excuses for having weak Pokémon ;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Evasion is worthless against me; I always keep a no-miss move somewhere in my teams, or the ever-awesome Hone Claws.
    Confusion does feel like 60/40 in the AI's favour, but it's not much.

Criticals, however... in the Frontier, PWT, Subway, etc. it's like every damaging move the AI has carries a high critical hit ratio. Even my Super Luck/Scope Lens/Night Slash Absol lands less crits.

Last edited:
    Back