• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NASA discovers 7 Earth-like planets in one solar system

Years
  • NASA is announcing that they have found 7 Earth-like planets in orbit around TRAPPIST-1, a small star 39 light years away. The planets were discovered using the Spitzer space telescope and they are reporting that the planets are all much closer to one another than the planets of our own solar system, so much so that they would appear large like our moon does for us and would have gravitational affects on one another. They are also announcing that three of the planets are within the habitable "Goldilocks zone" where liquid water would be possible if it were present. They don't have much information on the compositions of the planets' atmospheres yet though.

Spoiler:

Thoughts? Hopes?

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's been theorised before that Earth-like planets are actually far more common than we originally thought. I'd say that this probably proves it.

I'd love to see the sky on one of those planets with their neighbours in close proximity. I wonder why they formed that way though.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Welp if we ever develop faster-than-light technology, I guess we know where to go now.

I just wonder how their own gravity affects each other though? They're close enough to be seen in the sky like our own moon, so how would that work?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I hope our kind lives long enough to visit other planets.

Unfortunately I doubt it will be within our lifetimes.

Well I share the same thought too.
    To reach these planets in a reasonable amount of time and visit them we should first develop a technology that is somehow able to overcome the light barrier, but for now that remains impossible since everything with mass cannot travel faster or at the speed of light. (It can get really close though)

I've seen stuff such as the Alcubierre Drive, which wouldn't move the ship, instead it will move parts of the plane around the space ship thus moving you around, theoretically overcoming the light barrier. (explanation might not be 100% correct ^_^)
    But that's all science fiction for now as developing a technology that does stuff like that it's not really easy.

Years
  • Hmmm....a record breaking discovery of exoplanets indeed. Hope like radiating, our kind live long enough to see them c: Spitzer space telescope always do wonders. It's heat sensitive infrared eyes are perfect for studying these exoplanets. There are many more scientific discoveries to be made. We can just wait and be amazed by them ^^

Years
  • I wonder why they formed that way though.

This is the very good question that I want answers to. Does that system's lack of a large gas giant support the idea that our Jupiter may have made it more difficult for planets to form early on? Is the Trappist-1 system the more common arrangement of planets in the galaxy?

Years
  • This is the very good question that I want answers to. Does that system's lack of a large gas giant support the idea that our Jupiter may have made it more difficult for planets to form early on? Is the Trappist-1 system the more common arrangement of planets in the galaxy?

I don't know about it being the most common arrangement. Evidence right now seems to indicate the opposite.

From what I understand, Jupiter did play a part in that. Although when the solar system was young there were way more planets than we have now. I'm not sure if that hurts the idea or helps it though.

Starpire

King of Crystal Styx
    Years
  • Welp if we ever develop faster-than-light technology, I guess we know where to go now.

I just wonder how their own gravity affects each other though? They're close enough to be seen in the sky like our own moon, so how would that work?

that IS a really good question.
    spitballing here.. i'd imagine that in certain parts of the year, there would be enormous tides (provided there are oceans) that would recede as the planets moved further away.
    it would probably have an effect on climate as well or geological events like volcano eruptions, but that's just off the top of my head.

we'd have to colonize far above sea level for sure.

astrometeorology would be cool as heck to study now that this is a thing.

Last edited:
    Back