• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Genesect banned from SM OU

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'd like to preface this by saying that if there are already plans of creating a similar article then you can reject this.

Genesect was recently banned from SM OU. I figured an article about it would be interesting since OU will undergo a pretty huge tier shift. Particularly I want to tackle the following aspects:
    • why Genesect deserved to be tested
    • how Genesect impacted the OU metagame, as well as an overview of its most effective and popular sets
    • what Pokemon / playstyles will be more viable with Genesect out of the way
    • what are the general changes within the tier now that Genesect is gone
    • (optional, but useful) what are the next potential candidates for a suspect test

The article could also probably include some arguments presented by people on why or why not Genesect should be banned, which could be sourced from either Smogon's suspect test discussion or by our own members (or both).

Sirfetch’d

this is arguably the biggest news for the SM meta yet since not a lot of people expected Genesect to even be OU to begin with and the fact that it stuck around for this long was quite surprising. I'd quite like to see this article and maybe cover a bit of how this affects another broken Pokemon, Tapu Lele, who just got even better.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it's a good idea, since a lot of people (including myself) don't check Smogon, and only rely on Aurora's BTB posts to keep myself updated. People who don't check the subforum won't know. For the lower tier/non-OU changes, you could have a small section at the bottom briefly mentioning these.

@Decidueye: Genesect was actually unbanned at the start of Sun/Moon. I understand that it was a "testing" period, but its tier has indeed changed. Some people will be wondering why Genesect is no longer playable in OU, and we have to give them that news.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    My counter-point is that it has been banned for like ever, so this isn't news. That's my only objection tho.

It was unbanned in the beginning of Sun/Moon and people abused that. also OU always gets a massive tier shift every time a Pokemon is banned so I want the article to actually focus on the changes in the tier, and not just something that tells people "oh hey Genesect was banned better start using Tapu Lele it's broken af!!" :)

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Zeffy have you thought about what I mentioned at all?
    actually meant to it but i forgot woops

i think it's a good idea! honestly i don't think people who frequents PC/reads the daily bother stepping foot in Smogon to read about changes in OU (or Smogon's tiers in general), so I think it will be a good source of information for them. i think at some point it can also extended to other tiers.

also small nitpick but Pokemon moving up from another tier to OU / dropping from OU to another isn't usually a big deal compared to Pokemon being banned from OU, so it would be hard to write articles focusing on them but it's definitely something worth mentioning

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sounds good to me. +1 from me if there's no other interjection from batting writers (and thus far there has been none, so should be approved soon anyways). Agree with the above suggestions. I'll poke you again, Zeffy, when approval is official and you have a workshop section thread for the draft, Zeffy!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Check the Editor Workshop subforum for your thread! I just copied your OP.

Also, PM me or Jake an email, desired username (can't be changed!) and nickname (can be changed and is how you're labelled as an author) for a WordPress Daily account for you. We make those for fancier author credit and allow you to see the final draft in WP form if desired.

Back