• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Years
Perfect! lol XD

I'll get the August results up (/ongoing leaderboard?) on Wednesday since I'll probably be waiting around all day for somebody to show up and get my internet hooked up (I'll be mooching off my landlord until then)

I'll try to create thread for some kind of scoreboard, so when it's ready, just post it there.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'll try to create thread for some kind of scoreboard, so when it's ready, just post it there.
Hey, I changed the splash a bit. I'll of course stop doing it if you want to handle that yourself :D And if you need help finding your way around the code in it, just let me know!

Years
Hey, I changed the splash a bit. I'll of course stop doing it if you want to handle that yourself :D And if you need help finding your way around the code in it, just let me know!

It's okay :) I'm not on friendly terms with CSS after last semester, so when I looked on it, I just noped really quickly :D And then forget on it

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
After the time I completely ruined the splash in here bc I was trying to change something, I never touched splashes again lmfao. Left me traumatized I guess??? aha

Years
After the time I completely ruined the splash in here bc I was trying to change something, I never touched splashes again lmfao. Left me traumatized I guess??? aha

OMG, Senpai!!!

By the way guys, what do you think about reviving some old challenges like TCG, Bingo, Gym Leader, etc. challenges?

Years
Okay, I've submitted a thread for the August results

I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have two separate threads: a new one every month for the last month's challenge, which is deleted/archived/whatever after a couple of weeks, and an ongoing thread that we can copy-paste the "official" results into so that we have an easy to access record, and the initial post of that thread can have leaderboards updated monthly.

thoughts? Did that all make sense?

Years
Okay, I've submitted a thread for the August results

I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have two separate threads: a new one every month for the last month's challenge, which is deleted/archived/whatever after a couple of weeks, and an ongoing thread that we can copy-paste the "official" results into so that we have an easy to access record, and the initial post of that thread can have leaderboards updated monthly.

thoughts? Did that all make sense?

It could get quite messy, but right now, I think we can do that like this. Thanks for the results :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
OMG, Senpai!!!

By the way guys, what do you think about reviving some old challenges like TCG, Bingo, Gym Leader, etc. challenges?

Nooo, you're senpai now! ;) But yeah, I think reviving some oldies but goodies would be great! If I had the time, I'd bring back the gender discrimination challenge or the favorites challenge. Or even the least favorite challenge, lol. I think people are less likely to do the latter because you're stuck with Pokemon you don't even like.

I wish work didn't suck away all my time, bleh. Thinking about doing a challenge when Gold/Silver releases on the eShop, though. Just not sure which...

Years
Nooo, you're senpai now! ;) But yeah, I think reviving some oldies but goodies would be great! If I had the time, I'd bring back the gender discrimination challenge or the favorites challenge. Or even the least favorite challenge, lol. I think people are less likely to do the latter because you're stuck with Pokemon you don't even like.

I wish work didn't suck away all my time, bleh. Thinking about doing a challenge when Gold/Silver releases on the eShop, though. Just not sure which...

Heh, thanks :) Feel free to revive any challenge you like. I myself was searching through old challenges, picked few favourites and I'm currently updating rules for them.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
The following is something I created out of the blue not that long ago while playing Pokemon Yellow. Seeing as its the only Pokemon Game I own, I try to find new things or avenues when doing yet another playthrough. Nuzlockes, Monotypes and other challenges only get me so far so I developed a new challenge that is completely unique(AFAIK) and refreshing because the challenge is based on the following criteria: An Animated show.

This Animated Show can be ANYTHING animated. Be it Looney Toons to the ultra serious series of a Japanese Anime like Full Metal Alchemist. Whatever the show, pick 6 characters(most of which will be Protagonists(not too many shows I know of have more than 6 while the rest can be antagonists or side characters)) and then analyzing their character traits. From which you will determine what Pokemon best represents that particular character and then building your Pokemon Team from your character list.

Here is an example I did not that long ago. One of my favorite animated series is a French anime of Code Lyoko. Code Lyoko has five main protagonists: Jeremy, Aelita, Ulrich, Yumi and Odd. Jeremy is basically a science nerd(similar to Clemont in the Pokemon Anime) who often sits in front of the Computer while aiding the rest of the group while they are on the virtual world that is Lyoko. Being that he's in the real world, he's at the mercy of the rogue AI antagonist and is often electrocuted as a result. Therefore an Electric Type Pokemon(in this case conveniently Pikachu) was my choice.

Aelita is a timid and shy girl who often relied on the rest of the group for mission success. Later on in the series she grows more confident and gains the ability to fight back. Despite her newfound abilities, she's often at the mercy of the antagonist and henceforth I chose a Bug Type(Butterfree to be exact since her virtual form gains Wings later on). Ulrich is the stereotypical Jock with a jealous nature and a thin skinned pride to go with it. His athleticism is unmatched within the group and his prowess for hand to hand combat is unmatched. Initially I was going to go with Scyther but opted for Sandshrew(and its evolved form) because I needed a Ground Type and because its a powerhouse(and Ulrich certainly was that in the anime).

Yumi is as loyal as any friend can be but comes with a bit of a hot temper and is portrayed as one hot vixen. As such Vulpix seemed to be the appropriate pick for her. Odd was a no brainer. Odd loves to sleep and eat so the perfect Pokemon for him is Snorlax. Finally, I opted to go for their virtual ship: Skidbladinir as the final slot in my team. It's a mythical Viking ship that always reached its destination and I thought Lapras best represented it.

Once you have your team planned out, you then go through the course of the game and catch ONLY those 6 characters/Pokemon. If one should die(faint) you lose. The rest of Nuzloke rules such as SET and other parameters are still in play. Might need some refining but I think it would certainly spice up future games if people played a Pokemon game based on one of their favorite animated series(like Avatar: The Last Airbender as another example).

Years
The following is something I created out of the blue not that long ago while playing Pokemon Yellow. Seeing as its the only Pokemon Game I own, I try to find new things or avenues when doing yet another playthrough. Nuzlockes, Monotypes and other challenges only get me so far so I developed a new challenge that is completely unique(AFAIK) and refreshing because the challenge is based on the following criteria: An Animated show.

This Animated Show can be ANYTHING animated. Be it Looney Toons to the ultra serious series of a Japanese Anime like Full Metal Alchemist. Whatever the show, pick 6 characters(most of which will be Protagonists(not too many shows I know of have more than 6 while the rest can be antagonists or side characters)) and then analyzing their character traits. From which you will determine what Pokemon best represents that particular character and then building your Pokemon Team from your character list.

Here is an example I did not that long ago. One of my favorite animated series is a French anime of Code Lyoko. Code Lyoko has five main protagonists: Jeremy, Aelita, Ulrich, Yumi and Odd. Jeremy is basically a science nerd(similar to Clemont in the Pokemon Anime) who often sits in front of the Computer while aiding the rest of the group while they are on the virtual world that is Lyoko. Being that he's in the real world, he's at the mercy of the rogue AI antagonist and is often electrocuted as a result. Therefore an Electric Type Pokemon(in this case conveniently Pikachu) was my choice.

Aelita is a timid and shy girl who often relied on the rest of the group for mission success. Later on in the series she grows more confident and gains the ability to fight back. Despite her newfound abilities, she's often at the mercy of the antagonist and henceforth I chose a Bug Type(Butterfree to be exact since her virtual form gains Wings later on). Ulrich is the stereotypical Jock with a jealous nature and a thin skinned pride to go with it. His athleticism is unmatched within the group and his prowess for hand to hand combat is unmatched. Initially I was going to go with Scyther but opted for Sandshrew(and its evolved form) because I needed a Ground Type and because its a powerhouse(and Ulrich certainly was that in the anime).

Yumi is as loyal as any friend can be but comes with a bit of a hot temper and is portrayed as one hot vixen. As such Vulpix seemed to be the appropriate pick for her. Odd was a no brainer. Odd loves to sleep and eat so the perfect Pokemon for him is Snorlax. Finally, I opted to go for their virtual ship: Skidbladinir as the final slot in my team. It's a mythical Viking ship that always reached its destination and I thought Lapras best represented it.

Once you have your team planned out, you then go through the course of the game and catch ONLY those 6 characters/Pokemon. If one should die(faint) you lose. The rest of Nuzloke rules such as SET and other parameters are still in play. Might need some refining but I think it would certainly spice up future games if people played a Pokemon game based on one of their favorite animated series(like Avatar: The Last Airbender as another example).

Good idea. Maybe I wouldn't limit team to be 6 Pokemon. Some shows have fewer main characters. And sometimes, characters leave the show and new one appears.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Good idea. Maybe I wouldn't limit team to be 6 Pokemon. Some shows have fewer main characters. And sometimes, characters leave the show and new one appears.

If a show has one to two main protagonists, you fill your team with antagonists or side characters. Again using Code Lyoko as an example, William was a secondary character who was recruited by the group but was turned into a tool of evil by the antagonist on his very first mission. Takes the protagonists the rest of the series to free him, all the while he battles them while under the influence of the antagonist(and is a pretty formidable foe too). William was strong and had a bit of a temper like Yumi and therefore Onix kind of matched his personality(that or Mewtwo but that would be cheating).

If Generation 2 was available to me, I'd pick Milly and Tamiya as Plusle and Minum. These two were best friends and were always supporting one another as Journalism enthusiasts. There are several more characters I could pick as well and I limit it to 6 because I try to give myself a challenge. If a person wants to have no limit on the amount of Pokemon they catch, that's fine but I'd still limit Pokemon captures by the character and Pokemon they best represent(which if you do the challenge, you announce right at the start of the challenge). There would be no first encounter restriction, only the restriction of capturing Pokemon that fits that particular character. Run out of characters and well you can't capture Pokemon.

Some shows people could do(and example Pokemon for each one):

TMNT: Blastoise, Torkoal, Samurott, Greninja, Raticate, and Bisharp. First 4 as the 4 Turtles, Splinter as a Rat and Bisharp as the antagonist Shredder. Then Rhyhorn for Rocksteady, Krookodile as Leatherhead and so on.

Gravity Falls: Dipper and Mabel(Male and Female Meowstic), Zoos(Slakoth), Wendy(Alola Vulpix or an Ice type), Ford(Alakazam), Stan(pick one lol).

This mode has numerous applications and replayability because you can do a new show each time and even if you go with the same show multiple times, you can probably pick a different Pokemon for a particular character, thereby giving it a fresh take.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yeah, that would work well :) If you decide to make thread, I'll surely participate with some shows.

I'll post it soon. I just have to decide on what show to be my inaugural challenge. Never been good at story telling either so I may forego that.

Years
It will be end of the month soon and that means new Monthly-Mini Challenge... And because it'll be Halloween this month, I wanted to know, would you prefer another Monthly-Mini Challenge or some old school Event?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2018
LF someone to do a Taglocke with

Hey looking for someone to do a taglocke with. We will talk about which game to do if i find someone, just message me or reply here for more details

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I personally don't have the time for them like I would have used to, but I do like the idea of having something every month, even if it is just a little something. Provides a good little boost to the area and keeps things fresh, but also doesn't impede on anything bigger you might like to do for holidays or something. It's just a matter of keeping it up and it not being too stale. That is one issue with monthly things.

I don't have any ideas for mini-challenges, but I would suggest a more major event for December. More people will have time off in December (students, usually) to do them and with the majors holidays that come in that month, it's makes for an easy base to build an idea on.

DeusPro

Banned
Years
Hi! I'd currently like to propose the plan of a Communitylocke. A Communitylocke is a competitive points based Nuzlocke run where people create Nuzlocke runs on the forums under an event's overarching rules, and receive or are detracted points depending on certain in game events.

For Example
Catching a Pokemon earns you one point
Having a Pokemon faint costs you one point
Winning a Gym Battle earns you one point
etc etc

So.. this concept originated on the Nuzlocke Forum, and to boost the activity on the Challenge Subforums and cultivate a community, I'd like to host and promote the first PokeCommunity Communitylocke. What do you guys think? If you have any questions, you are certainly open to ask me on this thread! :D

Thanks!

Back