• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sudden depression

Jahgerwah

Sugar-free!
Years
  • So on occasion, like today, I suddenly start feeling a little depressed. Not clinical or anything, my mood just sort of gets knocked down a few paces.

I have no idea if this is just something that happens in a growing person (like myself) but does this happen to anybody? How do you get rid of it?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Growing? You should probably share your age just for further information.

Does something happen to knock you down, even maybe from several days prior?
    I've never had it just happen without any outside stimuli, personally.

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • So on occasion, like today, I suddenly start feeling a little depressed. Not clinical or anything, my mood just sort of gets knocked down a few paces.

I have no idea if this is just something that happens in a growing person (like myself) but does this happen to anybody? How do you get rid of it?

Perhaps due to the hormonal stuff going on in adolescence ~~if you are that old~~

I can't say ways I deal with it will help you, but for me I tend to let out my sadness or what have you in walks, music, something I like to do. Course, if it's something deep or acceptances that need to be addressed, talking about it with wise people or a doctor would be optimal.

Jahgerwah

Sugar-free!
    Years
  • Specifically, I'm 15.

As for anything bad that happened...can't really think of anything truly terrible.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I wouldn't say getting depressed is exclusively caused by truly terrible things only. Something very minor can do it too. Anything can.

How about those? Anything sour at all?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Happens to a lot of people. There's no universal advice for everyone, I just tried my best to ignore it personally. Depression tends to drag you down and can even turn you into a worse person.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I mean, if this is just a rare thing, it's not unusual for things like hormones, environment, stress, lack of sleep or even diet to affect your mood. Try to make sure that you're eating healthy and getting enough sleep and exercise and try to keep your stress levels down by surrounding yourself with good people and keeping on top of commitments before they pile up. Just general life advice I suppose.

If this is happening enough that you could consider it a recurring problem, or the feeling of depression is particularly severe, you should seek professional help.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 26, 2020
    It's okay and normal to just feel a bit sad or down sometimes.
    Especially when you are in your teenage years, your brain can be experiencing many random emotions that don't seem to have real causes or make sense.

It could be because you are tired or stressed. Most people have limits to how much they can deal with or how much they can do in daily life before they get tired and get upset.
    If it happens to you a lot, you may need to try more than usual to make yourself feel better.

The most important things to do are:
    Try and have a good diet, nutrition has a very large influence on your mental health.
    Exercise - you don't have to be a big sports dude, but a bit of walking or light exercise can release chemicals in your brain that make you feel better. Even if you are just feeling a bit down for a minute, a little quick walk can help.
    And to try and do things which make you happy, it can be talking to friends or reading or drawing or just playing Pok?mon.

At the end of the day, anything you ever think or feel, is just activity in your brain. You can feel better if you do things to alter how your brain is behaving. Try not to worry too much about it, because everybody feels bad randomly sometimes.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

Happens to me occasionally. It's usually either lack of sleep or vitamin D deficiency. The former's not too hard to correct and the latter is very easy to correct (drink some milk or take a supplement).

That's not to say those are the only two things that can cause random bouts of depression, but it tends to be the cause for me. Other people may have other body chemistry issues that could be causing it. Alternatively, there may be something weighing on your mind that your'e not entirely conscious of. If I'm feeling especially stressed, sometimes I'll just relax on my bed for a bit and let my mind wander to whatever; if there's something on my mind, it usually comes up eventually and I can think about it a bit.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I can tell you now that I get randomly sad for no reason all the time. I've started every school year with at least one 20-minute midnight crying session every year. It happens, and it'll probably happen until your stupid non-adult brain finally developed into your stupid adult brain at 25.

Humans are surprisingly fragile creatures. It doesn't take more than one or two major changes to our body chemistry to make us feel really awful. Bad sleeping habits alone can really mess up your whole brain and make you feel all kinds of wild emotions for seemingly no reason. If none of the above solutions work and you start feeling like this all the time, there's no shame in seeing a doctor about your symptoms. It's worth it in the long run so you don't feel like shit.

Years
  • I suffer from depression as a mental illness so i'm not that accurate gnsfgs but when it attacks I usually find something to distract myself.
    For a 15 year old maybe the stress of returning to school or just puberty? But if it's reoccurring I'd tell someone about it!

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • Yep, pretty sure school isn't that good when it comes to mood.
    History, actuality, delta=b squared -4ac, veristic literature, hermetistic poetry, dadaism, essays and other such things aren't exactly nice topics.
    Also, not sure if anyone still experiences harassments in high school and/or college,
    but if that is the case, I know how terrible it can be... even if some people here probably
    have been through far worse than me.

Let's see...

-Chocolate apparently can boost the mood and the cerebral functions, the darker, the better.
    (ah, apparently chocolate contains flavonoids, "identified with having anti-viral, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, and antioxidant benefits"...)

-It may not be everyone's case, but I personally enjoy being close to those dear to me(my family TwT).

-Pok?mon games, of course : Pok?mon is quite an ode to creation/existance, and looking at all those designs soothes the soul.
    Pok?dex entries can be a bit bothersome, and Sun&Moon are known to focus on dark dex entries.
    Mystery Dungeon games have relaxing gameplay, however the very intricate stories can be fairly overwhielming and are renowned for toying with our feelings, so you might wish to keep them for later on.
    Ranger games are more light-hearted and have quite a few gags. Just look how the villains from the original Ranger are dressed!
    Go_Rock_Squad_grunts.png

The very first Ranger game can be fairly difficult, but I still find it recommendable(also because it makes the two sequels feel like a cake-walk and you might not be able to enjoy it fully if you played the sequels first)

-I'd also recommend the Pok?mon anim? : all the burns characters cast on each other are way too funny.
    There might also be some more serious hidden messages, like the scenes of Misty with Ash's caterpie :
    they teach us that openly broadcasting our opinions in unpleasant ways can harm others around us.
    (take notes, people complaining about the developers' work)

-Some believe drawing and/or colouring can aid against stress. You could consider getting a colouring book, print your own colouring pages or make something from scratch(material or digital. You might also consider getting into fan-art).
    Also, a few things about colours : we attribute green and blue to vegetation, water and sky, thus they relax us. Yellow is the colour of our sun, and thus I assume it gives us a feeling of livelyness.

-Memetics might be able to help as well. I've read an actor who sparked up a memetic
    had cancer and some people used said memetic in order to gather funds hoping to contribute.
    He's still with us.
    Well, I'm already taking the whole screen. Please do, notify us regard your status.

Back