• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you were the head of an animation studio...

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    ...and could change Ash's design and personality even though it would cost you alot of money, would you do it? I would make it back to X/Y.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'd do a whole lot more than that: I'd also make sure that Ash actually WINS a league, even if it goes against the Pokémon Company's wishes, precisely BECAUSE I want him to actually WIN for once, sales be darned.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I'd do a whole lot more than that: I'd also make sure that Ash actually WINS a league, even if it goes against the Pokémon Company's wishes, precisely BECAUSE I want him to actually WIN for once, sales be darned.
    You would end the Anime if you'd make Ash win a League because even when Ash doesn't beat the Elite 4 Ash would try again until he beat them all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You would end the Anime if you'd make Ash win a League because even when Ash doesn't beat the Elite 4 Ash would try again until he beat them all.

Honestly, if it at least means having Ash actually WIN a league for once (which, really, considering Sun and Moon getting rid of gyms as well as a formal league, Ash really should have won the Kalos League since there's zero point having him lose that time due to the fact that there IS no league in Alola, not of the usual standard anyways), I'd take an end for the show.

Besides, considering Ash won the Orange Islands League, not to mention beat the Battle Frontier which according to both Scott and Agatha has each of the Battle Frontier Brains being on par with the Elite 4 member, and the anime didn't end either time, I'm doubtful that would be the end of Ash's journey even IF he does beat the league and the Elite 4/Champion. And since they've stopped doing leagues by Generation VII, it's literally not going to matter if it ends the show or not, because there's zero point for Ash competing in a league now that the series nixed that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I think the current design works for the show, if it went back to X/Y's style it wouldn't make sense because the feel of the show is completely different. The animation in battles and attacks so far in SM has looked beautiful, but because we're not getting a lot of them it feels wasted. I would make Ash less childish and over-enthusiastic though, because even in this series it's over the top right now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Honestly, if it at least means having Ash actually WIN a league for once (which, really, considering Sun and Moon getting rid of gyms as well as a formal league, Ash really should have won the Kalos League since there's zero point having him lose that time due to the fact that there IS no league in Alola, not of the usual standard anyways), I'd take an end for the show.

Besides, considering Ash won the Orange Islands League, not to mention beat the Battle Frontier which according to both Scott and Agatha has each of the Battle Frontier Brains being on par with the Elite 4 member, and the anime didn't end either time, I'm doubtful that would be the end of Ash's journey even IF he does beat the league and the Elite 4/Champion. And since they've stopped doing leagues by Generation VII, it's literally not going to matter if it ends the show or not, because there's zero point for Ash competing in a league now that the series nixed that.
    Orange League and Battle Frontier don't count since they aren't official Leagues (Orange League was just a battle with Drake). I would like for Ash to win a League but I would love it to be the Kanto League since it's his regions League.

I think the current design work's for the show, if it went back to X/Y's style it wouldn't make sense because the feel of the show is completely different. The animation in battles and attacks so far in SM has looked beautiful, but because we're not getting a lot of them it feels wasted. I would make Ash less childish and over-enthusiastic though, because even in this series it's over the top right now.
    But it seems like he made plastic surgery (he looks to different). I also think the writers and animators want to make to much comedy.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Orange League and Battle Frontier don't count since they aren't official Leagues (Orange League was just a battle with Drake). I would like for Ash to win a League but I would love it to be the Kanto League since it's his regions League.

It involved collecting badges and then fighting in a league. That's as close as we're gonna get to an official league. And if they aren't going to have Ash rechallenge the Indigo League during Battle Frontier, we most certainly aren't going to see him do it anytime soon. So at this point, the best chance he has, or had, rather, to winning a league is with the newest region, and now thanks to what the game developers did with Sun and Moon, and by extension the anime writers as well as the mess with Kalos, we won't even HAVE that chance any time soon. IF they're even going to revisit that idea, it's going to be in Generation VIII, and that's IF the game developers ever get back to that area ever again.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Assuming I had full creative control, I would've altered the SuMo male protagonist outfit a bit (Just like they did in xy: They made it tighter than it was in the game) secondly, I would've just rounded out his design... not completely alter the dynamics of his face.

Personality? SuMo Ash feels a lot more hyper than his XY counterpart. The main reason Ash feels like a child in this show now, is because he has a direct father figure in Professor Kukui that really we really haven't seen. It's not like he's all that serious in XY either... he was still a goofball, he just looked cool while doing it so you didn't really notice mind it as much.

His design also helped in projecting the image of a mature young teen. His jacket's and and baggy jeans and oversize shoes really extenuated the child like characteristic of Ash (Because of this he looked super short) with the XY design his jacket and jeans are super tight it hugged his body and made him look taller (He often looked taller than Serena, who in truth was a taller than him) the darker colors also helped in completing his XY look...

Still personality wise he's still the same, Battle maniac, loves Pokemon, Can't help himself from saving people. SuMo just has a warm and bright tone so he seems more child like than before.

TLDR: I would alter his XY design in a way that it would still work with the new design philosophy... Alter the look of his outfit (those shoes would make Sora proud.) And put him in more scenes that show off his coolness (We don't have enough of that in SuMo) :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • It involved collecting badges and then fighting in a league. That's as close as we're gonna get to an official league. And if they aren't going to have Ash rechallenge the Indigo League during Battle Frontier, we most certainly aren't going to see him do it anytime soon. So at this point, the best chance he has, or had, rather, to winning a league is with the newest region, and now thanks to what the game developers did with Sun and Moon, and by extension the anime writers as well as the mess with Kalos, we won't even HAVE that chance any time soon. IF they're even going to revisit that idea, it's going to be in Generation VIII, and that's IF the game developers ever get back to that area ever again.

Game Freak has been known to be unpredictable lately, so we can't easily predict what the games will do now, let alone the anime. Sun & Moon's shakeup to the formula coupled with the way XYZ ended meant Ash could have ended his journey there while SM pulled a reboot with a new protagonist, but it unfortunately had to shoehorn a now over-childish Ash in at the eleventh hour.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Personality? SuMo Ash feels a lot more hyper than his XY counterpart. The main reason Ash feels like a child in this show now, is because he has a direct father figure in Professor Kukui that really we really haven't seen. It's not like he's all that serious in XY either... he was still a goofball, he just looked cool while doing it so you didn't really notice mind it as much.
    I was thinking about that too- Kukui is more of a father figure to him than any of the previous adult males on the show. Professor Oak was the closest to this before him, but Oak is more of a mentor than a second father to Ash.

Something that bothers me about Ash in SM is that he's cared a lot more about himself than the Pok?mon and what he's supposed to be doing in that episode so far. He's always had an appetite and wants to eat, but this season it seems like we're seeing it more than in a while. It's not the greatest example for the target audience..

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I would probably make his squiggly Z lines under his face a little bit smaller and maybe have some effort put into his clothes but overall his design doesn't change much.

People complain that he looks weird in SM and cool/mature in XY but they don't seem to recognise that this design makes it easier for the animators to go off model, which allow for a greater range of expression.

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=pokemon+

Check a few clips from SM and XY and seasons prior. You'll notice that a lot of the XY animated clips are from battles (where humans typically stand still) while SM has clips that show Ash and co doing general things, all while moving. It breathes life into him and the others by giving them visual personality.

If I could sum it up in one sentence; IMO, XY makes great wallpapers, SM makes great animation.

His personality I am 100% OK with. I am loving this version (SM) of Ash. Despite him being pretty thin as a character (he had to be to be in it for 20 years and change for each region), it feels like I'm now getting to know Ash as a person, not just as a battler. Yes, I can appreciate some people would prefer an Ash that is 'cool' and 'badass' and is an extremely good battler. But to me...that's not what I want. Take away battling and Ash has as much depth as a sheet of paper. In SM, seeing him bounce off all the contrasting personalities is more entertaining to me - and yes the other characters could use more screentime but hey, I'm invested in about four out of six and don't mind the other two which is great.

(also helps I'm enjoying SMs approach a lot right now but that sort of goes off topic).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I would probably make his squiggly Z lines under his face a little bit smaller and maybe have some effort put into his clothes but overall his design doesn't change much.

People complain that he looks weird in SM and cool/mature in XY but they don't seem to recognise that this design makes it easier for the animators to go off model, which allow for a greater range of expression.

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=pokemon+

Check a few clips from SM and XY and seasons prior. You'll notice that a lot of the XY animated clips are from battles (where humans typically stand still) while SM has clips that show Ash and co doing general things, all while moving. It breathes life into him and the others by giving them visual personality.

If I could sum it up in one sentence; IMO, XY makes great wallpapers, SM makes great animation.

His personality I am 100% OK with. I am loving this version (SM) of Ash. Despite him being pretty thin as a character (he had to be to be in it for 20 years and change for each region), it feels like I'm now getting to know Ash as a person, not just as a battler. Yes, I can appreciate some people would prefer an Ash that is 'cool' and 'badass' and is an extremely good battler. But to me...that's not what I want. Take away battling and Ash has as much depth as a sheet of paper. In SM, seeing him bounce off all the contrasting personalities is more entertaining to me - and yes the other characters could use more screentime but hey, I'm invested in about four out of six and don't mind the other two which is great.

(also helps I'm enjoying SMs approach a lot right now but that sort of goes off topic).

Actually you can't say that you get to know Ash better because his personality changed to much. It's like you get to know an entirely different person.

To say the truth I still think they shouldn't have changed Ash's design no matter if the animation breathes life or not, his old design was awesome and redesign him creates a continuity problem.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Actually you can't say that you get to know Ash better because his personality changed to much. It's like you get to know an entirely different person.

To say the truth I still think they shouldn't have changed Ash's design no matter if the animation breathes life or not, his old design was awesome and redesign him creates a continuity problem.

His personality is great to me. Certainly in line with previous incarnations.

How does changing the art style create a continuity problem? Ash's eyes ere changed to brown and were rounder in BW from DP and they still managed to fit in Dawn, Pallet Town, Charizard and more. Heck, SM has Delia and Ash referencing his Tauros.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    His personality is great to me. Certainly in line with previous incarnations.

How does changing the art style create a continuity problem? Ash's eyes ere changed to brown and were rounder in BW from DP and they still managed to fit in Dawn, Pallet Town, Charizard and more. Heck, SM has Delia and Ash referencing his Tauros.
    Actually it's not in line with previous incarnations. Past generations Ash would never shake his butt like he did in Sun and Moon for example.

One thing is making a minor change like adding Irises to Ash's eyes, other is changing completely his face. He looks to different and younger, that's were the continuity problem is. Dermatologists must hate him, not only does he not age, he looks younger as time passes.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Actually it's not in line with previous incarnations. Past generations Ash would never shake his butt like he did in Sun and Moon for example.

One thing is making a minor change like adding Irises to Ash's eyes, other is changing completely his face. He looks to different and younger, that's were the continuity problem is. Dermatologists must hate him, not only does he not age, he looks younger as time passes.

...it was eccentric. Ash has an eccentric personality and consistently thinks outside the box with strategies and is generally a goofy character.

Other anime such as Fairy Tail and One Piece have changed art styles too and the overarching plot/past storylines have remained intact. It's a superficial way of thinking; 'art change = continuity disappearance'. I can understand how the change may be jarring but thinking it overrides what already happened is laughable. If you really want continuity problems, check where the upcoming movie heads. They essentially deleted Brock and Misty from Ash's past adventures if it's not an alternate universe. That changes the canon - that is continuity change. Not simply a change in art.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    ...it was eccentric. Ash has an eccentric personality and consistently thinks outside the box with strategies and is generally a goofy character.

Other anime such as Fairy Tail and One Piece have changed art styles too and the overarching plot/past storylines have remained intact. It's a superficial way of thinking; 'art change = continuity disappearance'. I can understand how the change may be jarring but thinking it overrides what already happened is laughable. If you really want continuity problems, check where the upcoming movie heads. They essentially deleted Brock and Misty from Ash's past adventures if it's not an alternate universe. That changes the canon - that is continuity change. Not simply a change in art.
    You didn't undetstand what I meant with continuity problem. I didn't mean that past events never happened, I meant that Ash is not the same person.

And the new movie is a different universe than the anime, it's not a retcon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    His personality is definitely over-the-top this season and it has been pretty grating. It's not really the show's style or direction though as it is the writing in the dub and how Sarah is doing the voice though. He's also being more self-centered and he's been shown at least a few times pigging out and just eating whatever he found like In the Shocking Grocery Run episode. It's more bad example than funny now.

Back