• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Amazing work, hope you'll be able to host the code in Github soon.

Do you know how I can find out which tileset a HGSS map uses in SDSME?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Amazing work, hope you'll be able to host the code in Github soon.

Do you know how I can find out which tileset a HGSS map uses in SDSME?

Thanks! I will upload it to Github later. But you can already donwload the source code: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l05cygwl0o9qt4i/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_17_source_code.rar/file

For doing that in HGSS you need SDSME 1.9.0: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m4a9qbhf0mb7sij/SDSME_1.9.0-alpha2.rar/file
    As far as I know, this version is experimental but works fine with HGSS.
    For checking the tileset number of a certain map, you have to search for it in the header editor, and then check the column named "tileset" (or something like that)

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2022
    Hey Trifindo !
    So first off, congrats on making this tool, it's really permissive and gives us a ton of options for modding pokemon games

I made my first map today (using the tutorial on OP) and I guess for a first try it is not that bad
    Now I has two questions
    in my map, there are two stairs, both "up". One is at floor 0, the other at floor 1. The one at floor 0 works correctly, but the one at floor 1 has no collision and my character goes right trough. Any idea ? I'll link screenshots if needed.
    Second question: I saw a tutorial about adding buildings, but what about getting rid of buildings on a map ? Is it possible ?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hey Trifindo !
    So first off, congrats on making this tool, it's really permissive and gives us a ton of options for modding pokemon games

I made my first map today (using the tutorial on OP) and I guess for a first try it is not that bad
    Now I has two questions
    in my map, there are two stairs, both "up". One is at floor 0, the other at floor 1. The one at floor 0 works correctly, but the one at floor 1 has no collision and my character goes right trough. Any idea ? I'll link screenshots if needed.
    Second question: I saw a tutorial about adding buildings, but what about getting rid of buildings on a map ? Is it possible ?

Thanks for the support! 😁

About the stairs, it's better if you could paste here a screenshot. Usually, for the stairs you have to set a Z value that corresponds to the height of the lowest part of the stair.

Removing buildings is very easy. You just have to select your map in SDSME, open the Building editor, select the buildings and click on remove (or delete)

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2022
    Here are screenshots of my map, I have included 2d/3d view, heights, and bcdh
    There are no collisions whatsoever on the stairs, and the one not working is circled in red tho it has correct values afaik
    https ://imgur. com/njMOfH4 (remove the space)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Here are screenshots of my map, I have included 2d/3d view, heights, and bcdh
    There are no collisions whatsoever on the stairs, and the one not working is circled in red tho it has correct values afaik
    https ://imgur. com/njMOfH4 (remove the space)

I can only see one image (the one showing the map in 2D), but I think that I know what values you have to use.
    For the stairs on the right, you have to use a plate of size 2x1, of type STAIRS_UP and with a Z = 0
    For the stairs on the left, you have to use a plate of size 2x3, of type STAIRS_UP and with a Z = 1

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2022
    Thanks, going to try these values and get you back at it
    Also a bit unrelated (kinda but... idk)
    What about scripting/NPC's ? I guess everything related to that is done in SDSME ?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Thanks, going to try these values and get you back at it
    Also a bit unrelated (kinda but... idk)
    What about scripting/NPC's ? I guess everything related to that is done in SDSME ?

Yeah all of the scripts, events, buildings, warps and all of that stuff has to be done with SDSME or PPRE.
    PDSMS is only for making maps.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2022
    Hey, back again with another question (sorry, it's just there is very limited documentation out there...)
    Would we be able to literally add maps to the game ? Not sure if SDSME has that capability (or maybe that mystery tool you mentionned a couple times in older posts)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hey, back again with another question (sorry, it's just there is very limited documentation out there...)
    Would we be able to literally add maps to the game ? Not sure if SDSME has that capability (or maybe that mystery tool you mentionned a couple times in older posts)

Don't worry about the questions, feel free to ask anything you want to know about.

Adding maps is actually possible but, as far as I know, it requires some hex editing.
    And, as you were saying, it can't be done with SDSME, but the new tool will be able to do it easily. But that tool is currently under development.

MelonSpeedrun

Fruit Person
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Been EXTREMELY excited since I saw this tool! I've been learning it these past few days, and I'll definitely share what I've made soon. Keep doing awesome work!

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Can you tell me what the missing step in your tutorial is for adding custom buildings to HGSS?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Can you tell me what the missing step in your tutorial is for adding custom buildings to HGSS?

SDSME doesn't read properly some properties of HGSS headers. So you have to hex edit them. Also, the game doesn't assign the building list to the tileset, instead it does it to the Areadata files. It's long to explain but you could get it working by experimenting a bit. I don't have much time now, but maybe I can do a tutorial in the future.

On a different topic:

Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.18 is out. This new version has the following changes:
    -New tilesets for HGSS
    -New tilesets fro BW and BW2
    -Overall performance improved, fixed memory leak
    -IMD exporter now uses less normals.
    -New tile preview display
    -New global texture mapping

You can see the new changes here:

DONWLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8yt2hld9jkz7doj/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_18.rar/file

Credits to Brom and AdAstra for making the BW2 tilesets.

IMPORTANT: Due to personal reasons, this will be the last update in a long time. With the current state of the tool you can almost make any kind of map. I hope this program will bring many awesome NDS games :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    Pain.png

Hi, a quick question.
    Is there any possible way to replace big maps like this? I can't find a way to make a big map like this in the Map Studio and whenever I import a map there's lot's of dead space around it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    View attachment 92219

Hi, a quick question.
    Is there any possible way to replace big maps like this? I can't find a way to make a big map like this in the Map Studio and whenever I import a map there's lot's of dead space around it.

The only way to create bigger then 32x32 tiled maps at the moment is to create your map over multiple maps and stitch them together in tools like Blender.
    You can then use DS map studio to export it to .imd and .nsmbd.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    View attachment 92219

Hi, a quick question.

In fact you can use PDSMS for making those maps too. No need for Blender. Just make the part on the right of the map as a separate map and export it as OBJ. Then open the main map in PDSMS, go to the tileset editor and import the previous OBJ map as a tile. Then you can use the red right arrow for moving the tile to the right.
    Later put that tile in your map and that's it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    Wow thank you thats much easier than using Blender. Seriously this tool is revolutionary for the DS community.

Back