• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What is the best way to level up?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2016
    Hi i'm playing through Pokemon emerald at the minute and i am wondering what the best way to level up is any ideas??

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    You can always fight the Elite Four multiple times. They give good experience. However, if this is for the Elite Four, your best bet would be to grind in Victory Road.

Years
  • Hi i'm playing through Pokemon emerald at the minute and i am wondering what the best way to level up is any ideas??

Depends what level you are. I'm doing post-game training right now trying to get my squad up above level 60. I find that rematching the elite four has the best experience density for this. Otherwise, grind at victory road if your pokemon have the right moves. If your team isn't well suited to that then I like using Interviewer Gabby and Ty who move between three locations (near lavaridge, mauville, and fortree) and can be rematched infinite times.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    If your team isn't well suited to that then I like using Interviewer Gabby and Ty who move between three locations (near lavaridge, mauville, and fortree) and can be rematched infinite times.

To be more specific, they alternate between just above the Rock Smash rocks on Route 111, on the right half of the bit of water on Route 118, and on Route 120, dead east of Fortree City.

But yeah, if you're at the end of the game, either Victory Road or Sky Pillar is probably your best bet for wild encounters. Gabby and Ty aren't too hard, though, and will probably provide better experience than wilds, TBH.

Years
  • I actually prefer Sky Pillar over Victory Road, just for the reason that most Pokemon have at least one move super effective against Banette or Claydol, both of which give a decent amount of experience.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I mostly used Victory Road, and for any Pokemon that were better off training on water types just whatever is the highest level you can find, there's plenty in Hoenn. Can't remember the best spot for that at the moment.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    ^I could have sworn that virtually every area that has water encounters not only have the same three Pokemon (Tentacool, Wingull, and Pelipper), but that they were levels 5-35 as well. Unless you fish, but that can be a bit... annoying.

(Exceptions off the top of my head for Surfing encounters being a 1% chance of finding Tentacruel inside the Abandoned Ship and another 1% chance of finding Wailord on Route 129)

Years
  • You can either grind in the Victory road (which people have already told you) You can also surf between Mossdeep City and the outskirts of Sootopolis City which give you a chance to encounter Waillord or a Tentacruel You can also grind the pokemon trainers that you have registered on your PokéNav keep in mind that they are not always available More than that i cannot think of as there are really no great areas to grind in Hoenn as most pokemon is low leveled.

Last edited:
    Back