• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Your favourite RP genre

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
  • I'm unsure if the question in particular has been asked before but when it comes to joining RP's, what are specific things you're looking for? What is your favourite genre? Do you prefer a sandbox kind of style thing or would you prefer a linear story telling by the GM? What are gamechangers for you (as in, when will you or will you not join a RP)? c:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I think the main thing for me is the setting. I adore older settings, especially high fantasy, or something Ghibli-esque like Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky where it's not that technologically advanced but they have all these wacky contraptions and modes of transport and magic, it's the best. So if an RP is set in this kind of timeline, I'll always be tempted. I've never written sci-fi but slice-of-life sci-fi can be super cool.

So while these two ends of the spectrum interest me, I don't really have much enthusiasm for modern settings unless there's something that really stands out. I find it very difficult to conjure up inspiration for, say, a teenage Pokémon trainer in your typical journey-style RP -- and it's not that I don't enjoy those RPs (I sometimes check in to read the latest posts!) but I cannot for the life of me settle on a character or figure out what to do with them. Not sure why it happens so easily for me with other time periods.

And while I like sandbox, I think it's best when there is some kind of common goal or plot happening that players can participate in together!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Primarily I like somewhat linear adventures with enough room to develop a personal storyline and yeah, sure, that's vague. But I like my character to be moving and experiencing new places and situations. It's nice to have some sort of plot to move the adventure along and keep the cast together!

as for setting- Pokémon usually, fantasy generally. i like getting really creative within limitations- give me the scope of a power or skill and i love to push all corners of the box. innovation inside of restrictions is so fun!

Years
  • Yeah, I've been having a hard time narrowing it down to anything super-specific but I like something with enough direction as to give a sense of an end goal and progression while still giving me room to explore my characters personal growth and their interactions with others. As a general rule, I'm not huge on stuff that is fully sandbox.

Back