• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for some fans to talk about the good ol' days

Latios

Editor of the Johto Times newsletter
Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hey!

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'd really like to make some new friends who grew up around the same era as me with Pokémon, preferably someone who loves the First and Second generation era. I've had a really nice time reconnecting with a lot of very old friends recently from back in the day, and nostalgia is a very powerful thing. I thought it'd be nice to add a few new ones in there too. My DM's are open too if anyone would like to talk about the series there.

Thanks!

Years
  • I started around 1997 or 1998 with gen I! I do love those gens a lot but also like recent ones too. Back in the day we didn't have reliable internet so I was always finding out new things about the gen I and II games. I remember being shocked seeing someone have a Porygon2 for the first time when on a flight. Very nostalgic haha.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Hey!

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'd really like to make some new friends who grew up around the same era as me with Pokémon, preferably someone who loves the First and Second generation era. I've had a really nice time reconnecting with a lot of very old friends recently from back in the day, and nostalgia is a very powerful thing. I thought it'd be nice to add a few new ones in there too. My DM's are open too if anyone would like to talk about the series there.

Thanks!

We can definitely talk about it, but only if you're still here and willing to talk! ☺️

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Of course! It's always good to meet new people.

Years
  • Of course! It's always good to meet new people.

What was your first game and starter? Not sure how old you were when you played but I was around 8 years old and fairly vividly remmeber getting stuck in the Ice Path in GSC lol, had to give my game to a friend who got me through it. I also had a movie 2 Mew card which sadly got stolen in 4th grade and I'll never forget that. :(

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    What was your first game and starter? Not sure how old you were when you played but I was around 8 years old and fairly vividly remmeber getting stuck in the Ice Path in GSC lol, had to give my game to a friend who got me through it. I also had a movie 2 Mew card which sadly got stolen in 4th grade and I'll never forget that. :(

My first game was Pokémon Blue, and my starter was Charmander! I started a little later than most people, but was following the series for a few years before I got my first game. Pokémon Crystal was the game that changed everything for me, and Ice Path was a little difficult to navigate at first too! Sorry to hear about your trading card, how sad! I learned some life lessons in that area for sure.

Years
  • My first game was Pokémon Blue, and my starter was Charmander! I started a little later than most people, but was following the series for a few years before I got my first game. Pokémon Crystal was the game that changed everything for me, and Ice Path was a little difficult to navigate at first too! Sorry to hear about your trading card, how sad! I learned some life lessons in that area for sure.

Charmander is awesome and you really cannot go wrong with him! Crystal was absolutely amazing for me too yeah.. Johto was so fun and the game was really smooth overall. Good sprites, nice music, just was a lot of fun to play. ❤️ I think it was my most-replayed game next to RSE!

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Charmander is awesome and you really cannot go wrong with him! Crystal was absolutely amazing for me too yeah.. Johto was so fun and the game was really smooth overall. Good sprites, nice music, just was a lot of fun to play. ❤️ I think it was my most-replayed game next to RSE!

Charmander is called overrated these days, but he is still pretty awesome. I adore Johto over Kanto and its Pokémon though, I had so much fun in that region. I agree with everything you said about it! Are you looking forward to Scarlet & Violet?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Charmander is called overrated these days, but he is still pretty awesome. I adore Johto over Kanto and its Pokémon though, I had so much fun in that region. I agree with everything you said about it! Are you looking forward to Scarlet & Violet?

When I started playing the old school Pokémon games, I began with Pokémon Yellow. I kind of feel bad for it now, but back then, I didn't use the Pikachu that I started with because I wasn't a fan of Pikachu in-game at the time. I liked Ash's Pikachu a lot though when watching the show. Because I played Pokémon Yellow, I didn't have just one starter Pokémon, meaning that I had experience with all three because Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander were given to you as gifts throughout certain points of the game. Because each of them have their own charm and usefulness, it's hard for me to pick a surefire favorite, at least at that time. In other words, I loved Bulbasaur because it was a great Pokémon for an in-game playthrough at the time, being able to destroy Brock and Misty early on, and resist Lt. Surge. Squirtle was great when you needed a Pokémon to help you Surf as you got farther into the game. Charmander was challenging to use early on, but when you got it to evolve, you had a reliable and strong Pokémon that could learn Fly and help you fast travel. It was hard to pick a favorite because they were all so good.

Nowadays, I select Bulbasaur as my favorite because it evolves into Venasaur, which can do some great things in battle that would make it a mainstay in nearly every game it's featured in. Yet, I don't think the Bulbasaur line gets much love from the fans at least compared to the other, especially Charizard. As for Kanto and Johto, it's hard to choose which one I liked the best. Many people say Kanto was too plain, but I kind of disagree. In my opinion, it's better than Sinnoh, which I thought didn't really have too much landmarks to make it stand out. Ever noticed how many people say Hoenn had "too much water?" Well, I believe Sinnoh had too much woods. However, Kanto had big modern cities such as Celadon, Saffron, Vermillion, Fuchsia and its Safari Zone, and so on. Johto had a more traditional Japanese feel to it, which was especially evident in places such as Violet City and Ecruteak City, which was really nice. It's like Kanto and Johto directly contrasted to each other. I also have to appreciate the Johto games for improving upon generation I and adding the many features in Pokémon that we know and love today.

Years
  • the good ol days for me was finding out pokemon news through corocoro :c

i'm not sure if i've still fully processed it being pretty much irrelevant for the past couple years in lieu of pokemon presents. kinda wild.

Years
  • I have the most fond memories of GameBoy era Pokemon, as I didn't get to play the DS & 3DS titles until recently. I started playing with Pokemon Red in 1999 or 2000! I then moved on to Gen 3 on the advance. Recently played Heart Gold through, and omg I ADORED it! Gen 3 will always be my favourite though as that is the one I played the most 😊 I don't know how I played the games really as a kid, I had no clue what the E4 were, I just thought Victory Road was a place to show off your HMs 😂

of course, the kid me thought Charmander/Charizard was the COOLEST - although I didn't like Charmeleon but that's because they did his back sprite dirty... Chikorita is 100% my favourite Johto starter. In recent years though I've grown to think that Bulbasaur is the best Kanto starter!

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    When I started playing the old school Pokémon games, I began with Pokémon Yellow. I kind of feel bad for it now, but back then, I didn't use the Pikachu that I started with because I wasn't a fan of Pikachu in-game at the time. I liked Ash's Pikachu a lot though when watching the show. Because I played Pokémon Yellow, I didn't have just one starter Pokémon, meaning that I had experience with all three because Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander were given to you as gifts throughout certain points of the game. Because each of them have their own charm and usefulness, it's hard for me to pick a surefire favorite, at least at that time. In other words, I loved Bulbasaur because it was a great Pokémon for an in-game playthrough at the time, being able to destroy Brock and Misty early on, and resist Lt. Surge. Squirtle was great when you needed a Pokémon to help you Surf as you got farther into the game. Charmander was challenging to use early on, but when you got it to evolve, you had a reliable and strong Pokémon that could learn Fly and help you fast travel. It was hard to pick a favorite because they were all so good.

Nowadays, I select Bulbasaur as my favorite because it evolves into Venasaur, which can do some great things in battle that would make it a mainstay in nearly every game it's featured in. Yet, I don't think the Bulbasaur line gets much love from the fans at least compared to the other, especially Charizard. As for Kanto and Johto, it's hard to choose which one I liked the best. Many people say Kanto was too plain, but I kind of disagree. In my opinion, it's better than Sinnoh, which I thought didn't really have too much landmarks to make it stand out. Ever noticed how many people say Hoenn had "too much water?" Well, I believe Sinnoh had too much woods. However, Kanto had big modern cities such as Celadon, Saffron, Vermillion, Fuchsia and its Safari Zone, and so on. Johto had a more traditional Japanese feel to it, which was especially evident in places such as Violet City and Ecruteak City, which was really nice. It's like Kanto and Johto directly contrasted to each other. I also have to appreciate the Johto games for improving upon generation I and adding the many features in Pokémon that we know and love today.

I obtained Yellow from a friend who gave me his copy...well, I kinda won it in a bet, but that's a story for another time! Regardless, I was really thankful to him. Although I started with Blue, Yellow is probably my favourite of the three first generation games, because you don't need to choose a starter, you can obtain them all in one game! Bulbasaur is a great Pokémon if you want an easy time! Thanks for sharing your story, Sweet Serenity!

the good ol days for me was finding out pokemon news through corocoro :c

i'm not sure if i've still fully processed it being pretty much irrelevant for the past couple years in lieu of pokemon presents. kinda wild.

I used to put so much emphasis on a new Corocoro release, knowing it would be filled with tons of content we would learn for the first time! I went straight to Serebii to get that information back then. As much as I am nostalgic for the old days, you can't deny that having content arrive at the same time globally directly from The Pokémon Company, fully translated and clear, is way better than magazine scans that can be faked or mistranslated! Thanks for reminding me of those times though, Colours!

I have the most fond memories of GameBoy era Pokemon, as I didn't get to play the DS & 3DS titles until recently. I started playing with Pokemon Red in 1999 or 2000! I then moved on to Gen 3 on the advance. Recently played Heart Gold through, and omg I ADORED it! Gen 3 will always be my favourite though as that is the one I played the most 😊 I don't know how I played the games really as a kid, I had no clue what the E4 were, I just thought Victory Road was a place to show off your HMs 😂

of course, the kid me thought Charmander/Charizard was the COOLEST - although I didn't like Charmeleon but that's because they did his back sprite dirty... Chikorita is 100% my favourite Johto starter. In recent years though I've grown to think that Bulbasaur is the best Kanto starter!

Hey Northern Lapras! Before I reply, I just want to say that your display picture is wonderful! I am so happy that you adore the Heart Gold and Soul Silver games as much as I did! I feel so privileged that a remake of my favourite game was so fulfilling. Likewise, I could never complain about how thorough they were in creating (in my opinion) a perfect remake! I urge everyone to play those games if they can find them reasonably priced. As for gen 2, Cyndaquil was my choice. I don't think I ever chose anything other than fire starters until Gen 5 with Snivy.

Years
  • Hey Northern Lapras! Before I reply, I just want to say that your display picture is wonderful! I am so happy that you adore the Heart Gold and Soul Silver games as much as I did! I feel so privileged that a remake of my favourite game was so fulfilling. Likewise, I could never complain about how thorough they were in creating (in my opinion) a perfect remake! I urge everyone to play those games if they can find them reasonably priced. As for gen 2, Cyndaquil was my choice. I don't think I ever chose anything other than fire starters until Gen 5 with Snivy.

Thank you! As much as I wish I could say I drew it myself... I just found it on google! I have been trying to get better at drawing with the aim of drawing myself a Lapras one day!

Yeah, Heart Gold has been such a wonderful experience for me! I often struggle going back to older games but it was just so good, and amazing to experience Johto fully for the first time. I also picked all the fire starters really for ages! I used to swap it up in Emerald, but thats because it was essentially my only game at the time so I just played it over & over and picked a new one each time. I think Snivy is super cool, and I really actually like pretty much all the grass starters now!

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Thank you! As much as I wish I could say I drew it myself... I just found it on google! I have been trying to get better at drawing with the aim of drawing myself a Lapras one day!

Yeah, Heart Gold has been such a wonderful experience for me! I often struggle going back to older games but it was just so good, and amazing to experience Johto fully for the first time. I also picked all the fire starters really for ages! I used to swap it up in Emerald, but thats because it was essentially my only game at the time so I just played it over & over and picked a new one each time. I think Snivy is super cool, and I really actually like pretty much all the grass starters now!

It's a great picture! If you ever find the source of it, please let me know! I've just picked up a packet of CR2032 batteries, so I think i'll be taking my Pokéwalker out for a spin in the near future, and replaying Heart Gold or Soul Silver!

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2022
    Hey!

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2022
    Hey, I'd love to speak about the good old days of Pokémon. I was there at the beginning with the early games and cards, such a great time. Love Crystal though, definitely the best game

Latios

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hey, I'd love to speak about the good old days of Pokémon. I was there at the beginning with the early games and cards, such a great time. Love Crystal though, definitely the best game

Hey Johto Master! That would be great! Sounds like we started playing at a fairly similar time. Would love to chat with you :)

Back