• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Why do your characters look like they do?

Years
  • How do you decide how your characters look? Why do you make the choices you make in regards to their appearances? Do you match personality traits to appearance or do you have another method?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2023
    I usually design an entire character around one design aspect, usually their power, and use that to design their appearance, personality, name, etc

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I use Picrew usually to create a design. And usually, that's what sticks. Siorc looks how he does because of the Picrew I made of him.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I'm not really very good at establishing a character and putting a face to them after, so I tend to look through art, live action media and use Picrew until something "clicks" and the character just comes to me after that. I do make adjustments from there, with changes being made to reflect their background and style etc., the way I imagine a character is never really a direct representation of the pictures I use. Even my own drawings don't quite capture it the way I want them to!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • vibes honestly. i get like.... a fuzzy feeling of shape and form. i know the way they move and how they generally dress. it just appears with the similarly vague attitude and role that this character will have.

and then i have to refine that into words! the intricacies of character design is just part of development for me tbh and i ping all across the board as i piece things together. oh, my character is from a city that loves sports and he loves to move and be occupied- he certainly is athletic! things change as i follow though ideas, too- casey's not physically as big as i initially thought he would be but it's because he's 16- 16yos aren't fully settled into their adult bodies yet. it only makes sense! and thats the refinement baybee

but yeah uhhhh vibes

Back