• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2007
Most of my friends like pokemon but some people that are not my friends might tease me but I just ignore them. Suprisingly lots of people still like pokemon alot but are not willing to admit it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2007
Tina's comment is bang on I think. A lot of bullying in school occurs because the bullies are insecure. A lot of them have difficult home lives or were themselves bullied at a younger age. As you get to meet people who are more 'mature' i.e. more secure about themselves you'll find less bullying. Unfortunately, bullying isn't completely absent from the adult world as there are very many insecure adults. The difference is that you have more choice over whom you associate with.

Last edited:

Tutwiglup

I found slashes hat. oh.......
Years
i have to say quizmaster, well said. Thing is though altough commonnly bullying happes because the bullies are insecure, its the ones that know exactly what they are doing that are the trouble. and im all up for individuality, people that single others out for daring to dress differently or like things that are seen as childish disgusts me slightly theyre jus making themselves feel better. did i just contradict myself?

C Sherbii S

...still trying to beat the E4
Years
  • Age 34
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 9, 2008
I used to play Pokemon at school and no one really cared, actually I got thought of as being sort of cool for playing a game that people got made fun of for playing. I dared to be myself and it worked out. I don't play at school anymore though.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I haven't been bullied or teased because i liked Pkmn. To tell you the truth I put fear into people so probably thats why. I still Play Pokemon and still buy there merchandise for example stuff animals

:t354:TG

Apathetic_Yen

very original
Years
I used to keep it a secret that I liked Pokemon, but I found out some of my friends (who are liked by just about everyone in school) liked it also so I wasn't afraid to say anyhting. But yah, people call me a Pokemon-freak and I just laugh at them and say 'I prefer to be called Pokemon Master' :cool:

Pikachu.exe

Weavile fan
Years
When I was at about 8 years old, I changed schools. There people started calling me 'Pikachu', and asking me things like "Hey, Pikachu, are you going to use a Thundershock today?" (in Brazil, Thunderbolt's and Thundershock's names are the same). It was really annoying. Today, I play my Diamond at school, and people ask things like that "Thiago (my name), do you like Pokémon?" something like that. There is also my teacher's son who plays Fire Red and always wants my advices, and ask things like "Do you have a Gyarados?", "Do have a Pikachu?", "How do I get into Stage 4?" (he doesn't understand pokémon is like an RPG).

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
Years
...Thinking back, I haven't ever really been bulied, period. Most people I know IRL aren't huge Pokemon fans, or even really into animanga/video games, but it's never been much of an issue. |D

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
Years
well, i wasnt quite bullied or anything in those extemeties, by teased yes. Sometimes, when i feel comfortable around a group of friends, and there discussing video games or something of that nature, i usualy bring up pokemon, some are like "cool! Bet you can't beat me" some just don't care either, kinda thinking, "it's there life, they might as well have fun, as nerdy or stupid as it may be..." and some, the teasers are like: "you frigin nerd! What are you? Like five? So stupid, wait til (insert name here) gets a load of this!" and they don't seem to let it go on for about a month then stop. So yeah, but it's not too bad.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
Years
Yes I have been bullied for my love of Pokemon. People would spread rumours about me and my friend because we both like pokemon. The rumours turned into many things and me and my friend were mocked aaallll year. It actually hurt and it lowered my self-confidence a little bit.They would go hey pokegirl still a little kid liking pokemon and call me other things.It almost got physical I was threatned alot, but on matter what I couldn't stop liking pokemon its jsut not fair ya know? So many kids are bullied because they like pokemon. I am always thinking "why do you bully kids with there own likes?" i';m probably going to get bullied this year but Imma learn to tell em off. Seriously though there is no need to tease someoner for their like of pokemon. Although somehow through it all I made several friends who liked pokemon and thats what kept me happy throughout the year ^-^. But I guess some kids aren;t as lucky =/

I just wanna know whats so wrong with liknig pokemon although your still a teenager? Its just unfair so many people are forced out of their love for pokemon just because they are getting bullied/teased.

The best thing I did was...(thank gosh I did this) I told my prents and this led to a looong chain of events that stopped it.

I stuck through it but it still hurts to think about it. Verbbal abuse still hurts even if you try and ignore it.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Yes I have been bullied for my love of Pokemon. People would spread rumours about me and my friend because we both like pokemon. The rumours turned into many things and me and my friend were mocked aaallll year. It actually hurt and it lowered my self-confidence a little bit.They would go hey pokegirl still a little kid liking pokemon and call me other things.It almost got physical I was threatned alot, but on matter what I couldn't stop liking pokemon its jsut not fair ya know? So many kids are bullied because they like pokemon. I am always thinking "why do you bully kids with there own likes?" i';m probably going to get bullied this year but Imma learn to tell em off. Seriously though there is no need to tease someoner for their like of pokemon. Although somehow through it all I made several friends who liked pokemon and thats what kept me happy throughout the year ^-^. But I guess some kids aren;t as lucky =/

I just wanna know whats so wrong with liknig pokemon although your still a teenager? Its just unfair so many people are forced out of their love for pokemon just because they are getting bullied/teased.

The best thing I did was...(thank gosh I did this) I told my prents and this led to a looong chain of events that stopped it.

I stuck through it but it still hurts to think about it. Verbbal abuse still hurts even if you try and ignore it.

Well, I agree. I just keep it secret. I've learned to become good at it...

bgt

R A W R
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
Lmao, speaking of this, I was browsing PC about 2 years ago before I had CSA status and I had the Yellow Pichu theme, and this uber fat kid is like, Greg's over there on a pokemon forum. Then I reply back with, you need to get your fat <insert word> on some weight watchers and stop watching me on forums, and a few people busted out laughing. </random>.

So, to not go off-topic, I guess I was teased that time, but I was still rofling for like 10 mins after that moment. Every now and then someone will ask me what I do as a hobby and I'll say run a site, they'll ask the genre, I'll say Pocket Monsters, they'll say, whats Pocket Monsters, I'll say Pokémon, and then they'll either give me a weird look or say they'll check it out.

From what I've seen, most people are generally only ridiculed if you watch the Dub and/or wear the apparel. I haven't seen one person, at least in my experience, say anything about the games personally.

I play the games personally myself and I'm 19, however, I do stay away from any apparel, watching the dub, and any public events. I don't want to look like a dork wearing a Pikachu shirt, lmao.

Last edited:

EvilWii

Hacker and mike myers
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2008
ever one still plays if i play so now (im the leader)

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
Years
Lmao, speaking of this, I was browsing PC about 2 years ago before I had CSA status and I had the Yellow Pichu theme, and this uber fat kid is like, Greg's over there on a pokemon forum. Then I reply back with, you need to get your fat <insert word> on some weight watchers and stop watching me on forums, and a few people busted out laughing. </random>.

So, to not go off-topic, I guess I was teased that time, but I was still rofling for like 10 mins after that moment. Every now and then someone will ask me what I do as a hobby and I'll say run a site, they'll ask the genre, I'll say Pocket Monsters, they'll say, whats Pocket Monsters, I'll say Pokémon, and then they'll either give me a weird look or say they'll check it out.

From what I've seen, most people are generally only ridiculed if you watch the Dub and/or wear the apparel. I haven't seen one person, at least in my experience, say anything about the games personally.

I play the games personally myself and I'm 19, however, I do stay away from any apparel, watching the dub, and any public events. I don't want to look like a dork wearing a Pikachu shirt, lmao.

Yeah these aren't the only reasons I am teased but they mainly knew because I brang my ds to school and play pokemon diamond version whiel I'm waiting for class to start lol. I really don't care anymore. Now I'm being called a "lezbian" or something because me and my friend have the exact same schedule its just dumb. Tehir the children not me. Ridiculing people for their own self gain. Pitiful truly pitiful.

Craig²

H a p p y☆
Years
I've never been bullied before, really. And the only thing I was ever teased for was liking Naruto, which was minor, because I didn't really care. I keep my D/P obsession to myself. That way I don't get teased for liking that kind of thing. Aside from myself, only one other person knows about my Pocket Monsters lide. I just..Keep it to myself. Gah I keep a lot of things to myself these days.

Kyaru-san

Mysterious Trainer
Years
Teased, yes
Bullied, No
Well I think they would think I like it bcuz I'm Japanese American but still they cannot say anything about liking Pokemon and If they like other Kid anime show. I mean Pokemon is by mean the Popular of all. But in America I think they go harsh on it, like Anti-Pokemon crew, hah. Those are the people who like kiddies stuff like Barneys and friends and etc. So I really dont care what they think of me because I like Pokemon, I mean if you like Ice Cream will you grow out of it b'cuz you're older and you think that for kids? Noo! I like Ice Cream...neway, I like pokemon and they cant do anything about it. But if they ever think about bulling me Hah let them try....

Back