• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    I can understand the Pikachu hat and stuff like that, but what's wrong with the rest? you're just really interested in it, or wait I forgot, everything besides football/soccer/whatever the popular sport is where you are is an "obsession" and must be taken care of, but those, oh no, that's just fine!
    Football and Soccer are a slightly bigger deal than Pokemon, though. Plus, they're not aimed at kids. In fact, Football is mainly aimed towards fast running, really in-shape men. The Pokemon demographic are kids in Elementary School, so-to-speak.

Although anyone who plays Football just to be cool shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Oddly enough.. no, I haven't.
    Not since I was 9 or 10.. back when it was 'the thing' and everyone lived for it,
    there were always those kids who thought they'd be cool if they made fun of the
    Pokemon fans. x__x;

But now that I'm older I hardly hear anyone making fun of it, because the people who
    use to like it just go 'Oh yeah, Pokemon was awesome!'
    & if I tell people I like it when its mentioned they normally don't say anything, unless
    they like it too..

&& even if they do say something, I really don't care.

I like Pokemon enough to where if I'm made fun of for it, I still defend it.

and my friends all at least like the games, so theres no issues there.

Years
  • Football and Soccer are a slightly bigger deal than Pokemon, though. Plus, they're not aimed at kids. In fact, Football is mainly aimed towards fast running, really in-shape men. The Pokemon demographic are kids in Elementary School, so-to-speak.

I still dun think it's fair though, no one ever called a football/soccer fan obsessed, yet a Pokemon fan on the same level is obsessed!

You could have a kid who spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on football ****e, take him to see someone and they'd say he was just fine! but anything else, oh no, it's an obsession

Power Ram

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2007
    everyday at school they ease me with names. i am told sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you, but i know that's not true. i hurt...

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I suppose I was a little back at my old school, but that was full of rich preps who hadn't heard of anime, so it didn't faze me much.

Now I''m homeschooled, and my friends either like Pokemon or don't mind it, but I'm also not nearly as obsessed as I was :3

Aruseus Rider

Areseus Master
    Years
  • Every girl at school teases me about it.(Heck,they ALL know.)Some christian girl was even screaming at me,"Go to bloody Hell!(Show how crazy girls are at my school.)"Over and over again.Then I grabbed a football on the ground and threw it at her head.(What?I get pissed off easily!)

Genghoul

Composer & Aspiring ROM Hacker
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Wanna know how to avoid all this? DON'T TELL PEOPLE!

Sorry for the Caps, but really, its simple.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Kids are cruel, or at least the jerks at my old high school were to me up until I graduated back in 2005. For some reason, people there just couldn't accept the fact that I was a Pokemon fan and found it worthwhile trying to taunt me with all kinds of slanders of the series. A lot of their comments were mixed with numerous swear words too, adding serious insult to injury.

But now that I'm in college, people are a lot more mature and, to them, Pokemon's just another of many game/anime series that's still popular amongst those respective groups of fans.

Years
  • Well i think everybody who lives in England (like me) will know that 90% of people are chavs, in otherwords walk around with their trousers around their knees spray painting and causing trouble, but there are just a few people that i think that would take the pi** coz i like pokemon but i dont talk to them plus the fact that all my freinds have either played or are still playing Runescape,WoW, and Guild Wars, i mean i havent got teased for it since i only really talk about it to my freinds and if they were to tease me id just pop out a random comment (since im a little weird) like "and i have Toe Juice on my nipple) or summat like that :p but most of my freinds like the pokemon games because of the RPG element which is why they like, Final Fantasy,World of warcraft, etc so im not really bothered.

i went into school on the last day of school in year 8 cause i couldnt catch that darn Rayquaza so i let my freind do it :p

and another thing is most of the ppl in out school only know the common ones in the 1st gen like Marill,Pikachu,Raichu,Mew,Mewtwo the rest have no idea who me and my best mate talk about in English :) cause hes weird aswell :) we just sit their and scream random words xD...
    fun times

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    I´m going into Year 10 in an English secondary school. I don´t shout from the rooftops that I play Pokemon, let´s put it that way. It would be fun if everyone played though ´cos I´d have people to play against. :cheeky: But oh well...Maybe they all play it secretly aswell. ;)

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • I don't think that I've ever been teased or bullied. Where I live, people are generally nice, so there's no bullying (at least, I haven't heard about any at my old high school). I'm shy, so I keep quiet about my interests and life outside school. But in college, no one really talks to me anyways, besides my friends.

I really want to share my interest in Pokémon with a friend, but whenever I get close to doing so, I chicken out. Recently, I found out that my friend's friend likes it too (she was playing Diamond or Pearl at her work), but my friends were with me, and I wasn't really sure about them. :(

Spinda

Shiny Spindas!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2007
    I live in west england and I get teased for it, and I still do in secondary.

I do see some kids at school looking at pokemon stuff though now and again, which is good to see.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Not that much for me, I sort of get teased by my brother sometimes but he used to like Pokemon too. :/

Years
  • Such is the hypocritical world we live in. :[

Though in his brother's defense, I could understand a "I used to like it, but I grew out of it" argument. Sadly some people can't hold onto things, even if they sometimes want to. Pokemon is a good example of this. o_< (That would actually be a good topic for another thread. "Do you think you'll ever out-grow Pokemon?")

so because he grew out of it, makes it okay to tease those who still do? then again this is a world where being cool, "in with the times" and rich is all that matters to most

Back