• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Pikachu2007

Free hugs for everyone!
Years
  • I remember a few years back I kept getting chewed on by my peers just for liking Pokemon. At least now, it seems my generation doesn't do that as some people my age are starting to get back into Pokemon, so now, I'm in an okay situation. :)

Just Darth

Dude.....LIke Totally Dude....
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    I live in UK and mostly my friends dont know except one who plays themselves and I have lots of hints in and around my room like the pocket monsters 2007 calendar from japan I find it funny and so do they but except pika supposibly have no clue who the others are?

I havent been bullied or teased to a big extent but was so close when by accident we were talking about pkmn when this gay person came up and exclaimed it but no one luckily believed him.

Personally I play secretly but I think so do some of my friends and I dont think I would lose many friends if I told everyone 'cos most of my friends just dont care but I would defo get bullied by everyone else. some of my friends also like strange cartoons like me such as Ed, Edd and Eddy and The Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy!

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • When I was younger (from, what? 12 to 15/16?), I used to keep it secret. Now I don't care anymore. Actually, I'm proud of my Pokemania! =D

Anyway, when I was in 5th grade (16~17 yrs old [yeah, school systems are different everywhere, so...]), there were some elementary school students (so, 10~11) that somehow learned that I liked Pokemon (don't ask me how...), and they started to make fun of me, calling me "baby", "Pikachu" etc
    Everyday they waited for me, and everyday they did that. What they didn't know, though, is that my friend and I stopped near their spot and just wait there and listen to them to laugh beteween ourselves at their stupidity XD
    That was cool.

But something that I loved when I went to Japan, is how students openly talked about it during class etc or even played in the streets. I mean, they were at least 17, but no one made fun of them for that. And girls like to draw Pikachu on blackboards =D
    I love Japan!

Allen K.

At least!
    Years
  • I got teased, because I was playing the card game and playing to the game.
    So now I'm just like hiding this, I don't really cares about theese guys saying it's for babies.

My best moment, was 3 years ago, a guy kept teasing me by saying "He likes Pokemon and Mario games, he is a faggot!", and one day he was saying "Hu, my parents doesn't allow me to play counter strike, they're saying it's too violent...." so I told him "You know, they're just like you, they can't accept other people to like others things... so stfu, and stop complaining about your parents who say CS if for frantic teenagers if you're saying Mario and Pokemon are for babies..."
    Anyhow he stopped talking to me and teasing me... but I still don't know if he understood what I said. xD

alex-zeal

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I got bulled all of year 7 because i liked pokemon... good thing was, my best friend liked it too ^_^

Stupid Jhonny (bully) I hate you soo much... im gonna own you with splash :17:

Annnayways now im in my new school (high school ^_^) No one cares that i like pokemon :)

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • When i used to be at school years ago, for Year 8 onwards I was teased a lot for liking Pokemon from many different people. I had some bad experiences, the worst being that in Year 10, when I was a Pokemon ficwriter, I left a disk in one of the school computer which contained a story i'd written up to post on Fanfiction.net and one of the kids in my class found it and well he "said" that he printed off several copies and distributed them around the school. Him and his friends spent the entire rest of the year teasing me about my author name, my story and about the fact I liked pokemon.

Funnily enough, close to the end of my school years, it wasn't liking pokemon that got me teased but playing my Gameboy. They most often reckon I played too much Tetris but always came up and asked me what I was playing despite the fact they knew.

Some people are just so nasty sometimes. I don't really care if you like or not like certain things. As long as you're understanding about what I like i'll respect what you like, as long as you don't force it on me. Thats my creed.

Hana~

Now available in surround~
    Years
  • Uh uh. I've also been teased for loving Pokémon. Then in 3rd grade when Pokémon was really popular, a gang teased me for loving Chikoritas - because they were not tough. Then I met that gang leader in a Pokémon battle on GBA, his Ruby team vs my Emerald team with an Chikorita on it. Won the match with her^^

joyce : the fluffy pirate~

→ s m i l e .
    Years
  • Lol, not really bullied or stuff.. There was just one girl trying to make fun of me when she saw that I was playing Emerald.
    Everybody was like 'who cares that she plays that?' but offcourse, she [I'll name her M ] couldn't stop. Only when I sticked a few pink bubblegums in M's hair in class [ M was sitting in front of me ] she seemed to realise that she should leave me alone =3

like poof ~

rofl, I heared she was crying later. [ she had very long blond hair youknow & getting bubblegum out.. scissors anyone? xD]

Oh & btw. I'm not mean o_o I really don't get easy angry or stuff.. But she was like laughing at me with her annoying laugh ,pointing her finger for weeks...
    I couldn't stand it anymore. >.>

Years
  • Hopefully at Sixth Form though, things will be better (I start it in September) and I can be open about liking Pokemon and such, not as in telling a random person, but not being scared to play on my DS and Pearl/any Pokemon GBA games once I have them

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    If you prance around school with a Pikachu shaped hat and a belt filled with toy Pokeballs, you're going to be teased. There's ways to make Pokemon look perfectly cool and acceptable when you're not talking about EV Training and Shinies, and naming all the legendaries, and comparing cards. That **** simply doesn't fly when you're speaking to people who don't play the game.

Improvise.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • My friends tease every once in a while. They call me "PokeMaster" and ask me how Pikachu is doing. But it's all in good fun. I actually started playing Pearl at school and all of the nerdy people saw and bought their own DSes and played too. They would come up to me and ask me what to do and to battle. It was fun. And I just found out one of my roommates plays every once in a while, so that's cool. But bullied for Pokemon. Never.

Years
  • I've had the occassional "wow that's gay and childish" comment but they are from people who haven't picked up a Pokemon game in their life and judge the genre on the cute Pikachu they see on the TV.

I'm a very geeky guy, all my friends know it and accept me for who i am and it's what makes them my friends. If they ever brought something upon me that meant i couldn't enjoy the things that interest me then they wouldn't be my friends.

Years
  • If you prance around school with a Pikachu shaped hat and a belt filled with toy Pokeballs, you're going to be teased. There's ways to make Pokemon look perfectly cool and acceptable when you're not talking about EV Training and Shinies, and naming all the legendaries, and comparing cards. That **** simply doesn't fly when you're speaking to people who don't play the game.

Improvise.

I can understand the Pikachu hat and stuff like that, but what's wrong with the rest? you're just really interested in it, or wait I forgot, everything besides football/soccer/whatever the popular sport is where you are is an "obsession" and must be taken care of, but those, oh no, that's just fine!

PikaPi123

Pikachu Power!!!
    Years
  • I usually keep my interests in Pokemon to myself. Nobody in my class knows I play and watch it.

But some of my neibourhood friends know I like it and tease me sometimes but most of my neibourhood friends play it too and watch it.

Like one time I was telling them I was getting peek-a-boo highlights in my hair and one of my friends who don't like Pokemon said "I know you like Pokemon, but that's wierd!" and I said "What??". And then my other friend who likes Pokemon a little said "Ha, we thought you said Pikachu highlights!" That was soo funny.

Last edited:

Gold Tom

Krazier Than You
    Years
  • I get picked on all the time. There are my mates who accept that I'm not changing, but some people are just so stupid always picking on me and stuff. It's not fair though, everyone has their interests.

Back