• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Version Exclusives

pkmin3033

We hate them. We know we're going to get them. Given the thematic naming, they're probably fairly easy to predict with a reasonable degree of accuracy, too. So. What Pokemon, if they are available in the games, do you think will be exclusive to one game? Which Pokemon being version exclusive would sway you to buy one version over the other?

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Well of course there's the obvious solrock/Lunatone.
    And then what? Espeon/Umbreon, which can't. Be exclusive, then anything that evolves with a sun/moon stone. Which is too restrictive. Oh and volcarona.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It will probably be Pokemon that relate to the version of the game.

Sun - Solrock, Sunflora, Volcarona, Espeon, Cherrim, Beautifly
    Moon - Lunatone, Clefairy, Musharna, Umbreom, Gengar, Dustox

I think it would be pretty cool to have version exclusive eeveelutions, it would make sense if they altered the method of day and night evolution.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Aside from legendary version-mascot Pokemon..:

SUN (10 Pokemon families, with all the Pokemon I mentioned as ideas):

I'm hoping that Solrock (holding Sun Stones) and Sun Stone-associated Pokemon are exclusive to Pokemon Sun:
    Bellossom, Sunkern/Sunflora, Cottonee/Whimsicott, Petilil/Lilligant, and Helioptile/Heliolisk.
    Larvesta/Volcarona would fit really well, although it sucks that there is no proper moon counterpart (I don't think that Cresselia serves as a good counterpart for them)..
    Additionally, if you interpret the Shiny Stone as being associated with light (by virtue of its Japanese name, Light Stone), then these Pokemon could also fit: Togetic/Togekiss, Budew/Roselia/Roserade, Minccino/Cinccino, Floette/Florges (could AZ's Floette make an appearance..?).

MOON (10 Pokemon families, with all the Pokemon I mentioned as ideas):

I'm hoping that Lunatone (holding Moon Stones), Cresselia (ugh; but there's no proper solar counterpart!), and Moon Stone-associated Pokemon are exclusive to Pokemon Moon:
    Nidoran/Nidoqueen/Nidoking, Clefairy/Clefable; Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff, Skitty/Delcatty, Munna/Musharna.
    Vileplume could probably fit here as well (it honestly seems like a Moon Stone-esque candidate), since it learns Moonlight and Moonblast in contrast to Bellossom's Morning Sun..

Additionally, if you interpret the Dusk Stone as being associated with darkness (by virtue of its Japanese name, Dark Stone), then these Pokemon could also fit: Murkrow/Honchkrow, Misdreavus/Mismagius, Lampent/Chandelure, Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash.

"MIX/ECLIPSE":
    (Dang Dawn Stone messing things up even though it's supposed to be "Awakening Stone" by virtue of its Japanese name...I don't know what to do about these Pokemon; probably just throw them in both games as available Pokemon to enforce "unity" of some sort!) - Ralts/Kirlia/Gallade (and Gardevoir); Snorunt/Froslass (and Glalie)

:t196: :t197:
    I don't know how you would make Espeon/Umbreon exclusive unless you limit the "time/planetary rotation" in each game to day or night, or you change their evolution method from being clock-based. What I've hoping for is that the "evil team"'s goal is to effect permanent day or night, and proper planetary rotation is only restored either once the player defeats the evil team or beats the Pokemon League/Pokemon Champion completely.. On a side-note, Game Freak should also retcon the evolutionary method for Espeon/Umbreon...they can keep the day/night dependence, but just retcon it so that the Sun Stone and the Moon Stone can induce the same evolutionary changes on Eevee (I mean, it makes so much sense; even Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness bothers to use the "Sun Shard" and "Moon Shard", which essentially function/act as the same thing/stand-ins for the Sun Stone and the Moon Stone!).

*Wow, even though I feel that Cresselia and Larvesta/Volcarona don't properly counterpart each other, by including them, I managed to come up with 10 Pokemon families being "exclusive" to each version! Neato! {XD}^^ Eh, but Gloom might cause issues unless Pokemon Sun lacks Leaf Stones (and Moon Stones), and Pokemon Moon has Leaf Stones and lacks Sun Stones..

*By version exclusivity for all of the aforementioned Pokemon, I mean (more of the "more common than the other, like Plusle and Minun in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire" kind, not the "one is obtainable, one is completely unobtainable unless you trade" kind of version exclusivity). {:3} Trading should strictly be a convenience, not mandatory, in my opinion (to account for single-cartridge players without local friends/cartridges and/or Internet connectivity..).

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    While I think the most obvious version exclusives are Solrock/Lunatone, I really hope they put Solrock in Moon, and Lunatone in Sun, just to screw with everyone.

I don't think they really would, unless something happens like for example: the evil team fossilizes Solrock in Moon, forcing an eternal night, as in this region Solrock and Lunatone (who will obv be megas) are essential to controlling how day turns to night. So basically you would need to find a way to re-awaken Solrock or you will be stuck in night forever. That's the only way I think they'd do that, only if they were essential to the story, or else it probably isn't going to happen.

Also for Espeon and Umbreon... it can work if they do force an eternal night/day, you'd be unable to get the other until the balance is restored.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Well, Black had Reshiram (a white Pokemon) and White had Zekrom (a black Pokemon) so theorizing Solrock in Moon and Lunatone in Sun isnt that far off js :x

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    We hate them. We know we're going to get them. Given the thematic naming, they're probably fairly easy to predict with a reasonable degree of accuracy, too. So. What Pokemon, if they are available in the games, do you think will be exclusive to one game? Which Pokemon being version exclusive would sway you to buy one version over the other?

I don't hate them I enjoy them a lot. It opens the doors to new bonds via trading and etc.

I want the legends to be Fire (Sun) and Earth(Moon)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was pondering the Umbreon/Espeon theory with my sister and we both agreed that it'd be unreasonable for them to be version exclusive just based on the way they evolve, HOWEVER, I toyed a bit with the idea that instead of making the evolutions themselves version exclusives, that they might give them mega evolutions which could be version exclusive, much like there were version exclusive mega evolutions in X and Y. It'd be interesting to see if they would ever give the eeveelutions megas in the first place, that's a completely different topic altogether though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well, Black had Reshiram (a white Pokemon) and White had Zekrom (a black Pokemon) so theorizing Solrock in Moon and Lunatone in Sun isnt that far off js :x

The reason that worked was because Reshiram didn't represent White and vice versa, and the way everything was unlocked worked really well. In this case, Solrock literally represents Sun, and Lunatone represents Moon, so unless they're essential to the story it doesn't make any sense.

Back