• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Type Chart × Alignment Chart: How does typing impact your characters?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
  • Code:
    Character got hit with [B]Character Development[/B]! It's super effective!

[s]Character fainted.[/s]

Let's face it, the type chart is an important foundation element of Pokémon's mechanics. It impacts the design and standing of entire species on its own, and back in the earlier gens it was one of the simplest traits to look at to determine that a character was over- or under-powered.

It stands to reason then, that if nature is half of how a character's... well, character, is determined, in Pokémon the type chart is also an important factor of that. Your character may dream of flying in the sky, but she was born a Slugma, or a Venipede. Your character may put as much resistance as he wants against the Ponyta Parade, but ultimately Paras takes 4x damage and that's even before factoring abilities.

So, the question is: how much, and what are the results? How are your characters affected by the fact that ultimately they are of a certain type combo, or might change into another upon evolution?

Years
  • Hm... honestly I've never really approached it with an angle like that in writing. Usually when I write Pokemon stuff, a disadvantageous typing is more like an obstacle to overcome than something than an impassable wall. But I also don't generally write from the perspective of the Pokemon either, which could be a part of that.

Bay

Years
  • Like GP I don't write in the Pokemon perspective all too often. Many times though it's usually the trainer that is guiding their Pokemon in dealing with another Pokemon they have a type disadvantage with.

Back