• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen the 1/256 glitch

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • This is a glitch in generation I where moves that are 100% accurate, with the exception of Swift, have a 1 out of 256 chance to miss. Were you ever impacted by this phenomenan in gen i?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I assumed that 100% moves were still actually 99.6%

You mean they fixed that? 😅

Not sure, I just know that in gen i 100% accuracy moves can miss even without evasion buffs because of that 1/256 chance. It doesn't happen outside this generation (unless a Pokemon uses evasion moves).

Years
  • Just looked it up! You're absolutely right, they fixed it for gen 2. I just assumed it had stayed the same, and I didn't think any more of it. You learn something every day :)

To answer the question though, I've fallen foul of it plenty of times, usually at inopportune moments, but only in gen 1 as it turns out 😅

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've had it happen many times over the years. I never put too much thought into it, though. If a move missed I just clicked it again the next turn.

Now I'm wondering if they should have turned it into a feature, just to mess with people. xD

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    In a casual playthrough, you don't notice it, however with competitive or nuzlocke, it quickly becomes relevant. By the time you fight Misty you will very likely have a 1/256 miss.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • If this ever affected me I was never aware as:
    1. I'd never heard of it until now and
    2. I didn't understand the mechanics back when I played Gen 1 nor did I care to. I just wanted to catch Pokemon like my best friend.

Back