• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game of the Year 2020

pkmin3033

With 2020 slowly but surely coming to a close and several game awards already coming around, I feel now is a good time to post this.

Share with us some of the best games you've played that have been released this year! What made the experience so good? Overall, how has 2020 been for you for gaming - have you found more titles you've been interested in this year, or has the pandemic held back releases you were looking forward to?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i haven't really played a lot of new games this year, but from what i've played, my personal game of the year is persona 5 royal. it gave my favorite character some much needed improvement in his writing and also introduced some new characters that i love and new ideas that i feel add a lot to the persona 5 experience. the new songs added to the game are fantastic and meaningful, too. throw your mask away, colors flying high, our light...oh god...our light...hhhhhh. if you skipped the original game, i highly suggest playing royal over the vanilla version because of how much it improves on an already fantastic game. i don't see myself playing the original ever again tbh.

Years
  • Animal Crossing for me. Despite the flaws, I had an amazing first few months of release playing with others. It was incredibly fun. The game is breathtaking - the clothing and fur textures, the backgrounds, the attention to detail with furniture/clothes... they were so good. <3 I just wish, instead of drip feeding us new updates, they had all of those updates on release so my group of friends could've remained interested longer.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • DOOM Eternal, considering that is the only game released this year that I have played.

Perhaps Destiny 2: Beyond Light can also count... but I consider that to be an expansion on an already existing game even though it revamped a lot of stuff, would be above DOOM Eternal though not gonna lie.

Then there are also remasters that I don't really consider to be newly released games, like for instance the C&C Remastered that came out this year, but thats a remaster of a game from 1996... so I personally wouldn't count that as a game released this year :P

Years
  • I haven't played that many games released this year, but I watched some of them on Twitch.

For me, it's Doom Eternal. I don't usually play FPS, but Doom 2016 had special place in my heart, so I was really looking forward Eternal. And it delivered what I was expecting. I was a little bit afraid that it would be too colourful and that the platforming will hurt the pacing, but it was great. I still have yet to finish on Ultra Nightmare difficulty.

The best indie game I've played this year was Ghostrunner. To be honest that was the cyberpunk-themed game I was looking for this year. I enjoyed every single moment in it. The world looked great, parkour and fighting segments were clever and hard enough, bossfights were mostly original and I was this close to rage quit and smash my mouse into the wall most of the time.

Overall I think this year was great for games. I bought more games than usual and I plan on buying at least one more game from this year. This year was probably the first that I was considering getting PS4 or PS5 over Switch, since many great PS games were released.

Back