• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How do I add sprites and learn sets to an existing ROM hack?

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Alright, while I know I will likely be asked to browse the forum for existing threads this question is an example of me not knowing how or where to start. In Pokemon Radical Red all Pokemon from Gen 1 - 8 are seemingly available other than those from Pokemon Crown Tundra. The Pokemon such as Regieleki and Calyrex seem to have their data in the game as placeholders. These place holders have no sprite other than the MissingNo (?) and their move sets consist only of the move "Struggle". How would I go about adding a sprite, learn set and ability to these placeholders? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Years
    • Seen today
    @AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB

You need to know where the creator compiled/repointed the pokemon data to. If you know that, edit the .ini file of the pokemon editor tool of your choice and you should be able to change it afaik.

Since the placeholders are already in the game the creator probably wants to import them in an eventual release in the future. So it's probably better to wait for an eventual new release than to try this out yourself. You would need consent from the original creator if you plan on releasing any of this either way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    It would only be for personal use and would not be distributed in any way. I plan on making my own ROM hack in the vein of Radical Red soon. Is this information on the repointed Pokemon data publicly available or is it something known only to the creator himself? I know it was compiled using CFRU and according to this thread if I were to find the "before" ROM the process of editing details will be possible. Is this what you meant? Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    It would only be for personal use and would not be distributed in any way. I plan on making my own ROM hack in the vein of Radical Red soon. Is this information on the repointed Pokemon data publicly available or is it something known only to the creator himself? I know it was compiled using CFRU and according to this thread if I were to find the "before" ROM the process of editing details will be possible. Is this what you meant? Thanks in advance.

You could try and see if you can open it in hex maniac advance, I haven't tried a rom with a major patch applied, but it still worked for my rom after I patched, physical special split.

But for sprites you're probably better using advance map, adding a new sprite is as simple as adding more person events to the map.
    Unless you're trying to do a custom sprite, I believe I've heard it works with CFRU though so I think you should be fine.
    edit:
    I see you're talking pokemon sprites so...

Try this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I will try with that tool later but I think I somewhat figured it out. As far as the sprites are concerned they come in 256x64 sheets. I know they are meant to be split into 4 64x64 sprites (front, back, shiny, and icon) in order to be used with DPE and CFRU. Tools like G3T bypass the need to split them but only work with a clean base ROM rather than one altered with DPE or CFRU. How do I split the sprite sheets without losing quality? I have went through all the documentation and old threads to no avail. All the necessary tables have been altered so this is the last step. Gen 1 - 7 sprites that came with DPE have already been split but those from the thread you linked have not. Can I just put them as is (256x64) in the backspr, frontspr and pokeicon folders and call it a day? Or do I need another tool to split them into 64x64? Thanks in advance.

Back