• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports General Sports Chat. All Sports Welcome

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • How can this year be a fluke if they won it last year, too?

And the Warriors are completely at the mercy of whether Kevin Durant decides to return to play or if he takes the big money elsewhere.

+1 to the second point. Cap is going tone a big issue for the Warriors this upcoming season. Durant finally got his ring, so he could cash in somewhere if he wanted to. Without knowing the Thunder's situation who knows, maybe he'll pull a Lebron and try to bring a title back to Oklahoma City at some point.

As for the first point, I don't know if I can call the Penguins championship a fluke or not, but I think it's safe to say there's a higher chance of probability that you can see two different finalists in the big dance with the NHL more than the NBA. Success in the NHL playoffs is really just derivative of who's goalie gets hot at the right time - the LA Kings of recent years comes to mind - so I could see the Penguins getting bounced. Plus, they had to go 7 games with both he Capitols and the Senators to even get to the Finals, so I expect the Eastern Conference to be tough next season.

Years
  • +1 to the second point. Cap is going tone a big issue for the Warriors this upcoming season. Durant finally got his ring, so he could cash in somewhere if he wanted to. Without knowing the Thunder's situation who knows, maybe he'll pull a Lebron and try to bring a title back to Oklahoma City at some point.

As for the first point, I don't know if I can call the Penguins championship a fluke or not, but I think it's safe to say there's a higher chance of probability that you can see two different finalists in the big dance with the NHL more than the NBA. Success in the NHL playoffs is really just derivative of who's goalie gets hot at the right time - the LA Kings of recent years comes to mind - so I could see the Penguins getting bounced. Plus, they had to go 7 games with both he Capitols and the Senators to even get to the Finals, so I expect the Eastern Conference to be tough next season.

Nah, can't see him going back to OKC with the ball-dominant Russ there. The question for the Warriors is how much Curry takes because that probably dictates whether KD re-signs.

Plenty of teams with hot goalies have flamed out in the playoffs because they haven't got anybody who can score. The primary reason those teams took the Pens to 7 games was that the Pens have injury issues that plague their top 4 defensemen, which is the primary weak point of their roster.

Because last year they were actually good.

How is grabbing the second best record in the entire league for 2016-17 not good? You talk like they were the 8th seed in the East and like they don't have a roster with 3 star quality forwards and like they didn't have two All-Star quality goalies on the roster. They looked mortal this postseason because of injuries to their top 4 d-men.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Granted I checked out for the NHL playoffs once my Bruins got bounced (can't believe they lost to the Senators god) so I didn't know about the injuries to the Penguins. Do you have any idea what FA will look like for Pittsburgh? Any key pieces that may be leaving or trying to hit the free agency market?

Years
  • No idea what FA looks like for Pittsburgh other than that I can't see Sid, Geno, or Phil deciding to leave that very good thing they have going. I think their roster issues financially are still going to be defensive side anyway.

Years
  • Pittsburgh's forward corps is going to be fine- the biggest name they might lose is Nick Bonino (who was injured during the final), so it wouldn't be a big loss. As long as Matt Murray can keep playing well, I think the Pens will be fine for a while, seeing as how they've got Kessel and Malkin under contract until 2022, and Crosby until 2024.

I am excited to see what happens with the Vegas Golden Knights over the next few days, though. It's the first expansion draft in the big 4 since the Charlotte Bobcats came into the NBA, which is about 15 years ago now. Wasn't old enough to appreciate all the new teams popping up in the late 90s/early 2000s, so it should be interesting to see what Vegas can do, especially with all the talent available to them.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    The NHL is going to be great next season. Leagues are always fun the season after an expansion draft.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • So how exactly does the expansion draft work? Do they do open tryouts for their team, or do they get extra picks in the actual draft?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    They pick one player from each team in the league. Teams get to protect a few players.

Years
  • At least, that's how this expansion draft is going to work. Last round for the NHL each team basically got what amounted to a minor league roster and a couple high draft picks.

In other news, did anyone see that the Cavs and their GM are parting ways?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Just the latest blunder by Dan Gilbert.

Hey, let's get rid of the architect of our one and only championship! Brilliant move!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Looks like the Cavaliers will stand pat.

Not that they have a choice, with no GM it's hard to make trades...

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    FC Cincinnati beats yet another MLS team in the Open Cup.

Years
  • In more NBA news, Chris Paul was traded to the Houston Rockets for Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, and the Rockets 2018 first round pick. The stove is heating up! Also Phil Jackson was fired by the Knicks.

Where do we think Blake Griffin goes now? Does he stay with the Clippers?

FC Cincinnati beats yet another MLS team in the Open Cup.

Even if it's a big victory for FC Cincinnati, you have to wonder if the MLS clubs they faced are even bothering to trot out their best lineups. Both clubs are in the top 6 of the East right now so I imagine they might be more focused on the MLS season.

Back