• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I really like the habitat list idea. But instead of showing all the Pokemon on a route, maybe just a "local rarities" sign or something that lists the rarest Pokemon on the route (<10% chance?). That way almost every sign would be unique and not be populated with common Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Beta testing! I really do think 3.0 will be out soon, but I want to avoid game-breaking bugs at release. PM me if you're interested in beta testing the nearly-finished game. I'll send you a patch for it.

While testing, please compare your experience with the list of known bugs, and try to find new ones. Also, let me know if you see the "unconfirmed" bugs or not. In particular:

The first two were bugs in 2.2.0, and the last one appeared while developing 3.0, but I can't reproduce any of them now. Whether they can still occur or were fixed by accident, I want to know.

Is this beta an IPS version of what currently is on GH? I compiled an "alpha" a few days ago and I can confirm the first and third "unconfirmed" bugs (Onix, Tentacruel and Ekans sometimes hold Master Balls, although it seems to randomly fix itself), in addition to: mons learning Fire Blast rather than Spark, some Vulpix and Drowzee encounters crashing the game (I suspect it's an ability related issue, as the ones that don't crash the game always have Flash Fire and Insomnia, respectively), Sheer Force not working (properly? at all? Bite still causes flinching for some reason), Rattled getting activated by pretty much any attack, and something else that I just forgot about, haha.

Also, a question: I'm considering using city and route signs for a Habitat List feature like in B/W, with caught species marked by a Pok? Ball. (This makes more sense to me than the Pok?dex already knowing what's there.) However, it would take time to develop and would use ever-dwindling ROM space (it's already 95% full). Does this seem useful? Please let me know if you would bother checking signs or not. Or suggest alternate ways to implement a Habitat List, as long as they don't require coding a whole new UI.

While it makes perfect sense for the dex to not know what species are present in certain areas it kind of makes the dex's Area function redundant. You could delete that function altogether, of course, but IMO the dex would be pretty much pointless as it would only offer information and cries...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    I sent a pm regarding beta testing, I will also be able to complete the pokedex and try to complete everything in the game

Also, a question: I'm considering using city and route signs for a Habitat List feature like in B/W, with caught species marked by a Pok? Ball. (This makes more sense to me than the Pok?dex already knowing what's there.) However, it would take time to develop and would use ever-dwindling ROM space (it's already 95% full). Does this seem useful? Please let me know if you would bother checking signs or not. Or suggest alternate ways to implement a Habitat List, as long as they don't require coding a whole new UI.

wVGWVu2.png

The Habitat List was my absolute favorite feature from B2W2, but this implementation leaves much to be desired and I don't believe is really necessary. Maybe it would be better if you full-screened the sign so that you don't have to scroll through, or used Pokemon icons on a full screen picture to show it. Either way, the Pokedex seems to already know what Pokemon appear where. If you find a Pidgey on Route 29, it magically knows all the other routes it appears on without you ever having gone there and seen one. I don't see why you wouldn't want to add it to the Pokedex, or make it a Key Item that could be registered to select for quick lookup. JasonPK's idea is a good one, I think. List only rare, interesting, or unique Pokemon on a route's sign. If this is the only place in the world where Snubbull appears, then it should go on the sign along with the rare 5%-ers.

I would absolutely loooooooove to beta test, but if I started Polished Crystal right now I know that I'd neglect things I have to do in real life. If you put out this offer literally two weeks from now, I would've been all over it! Alas, I'll have to wait. You'll get my super long feedback either way.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Is this beta an IPS version of what currently is on GH? I compiled an "alpha" a few days ago and I can confirm the first and third "unconfirmed" bugs (Onix, Tentacruel and Ekans sometimes hold Master Balls, although it seems to randomly fix itself), in addition to: mons learning Fire Blast rather than Spark, some Vulpix and Drowzee encounters crashing the game (I suspect it's an ability related issue, as the ones that don't crash the game always have Flash Fire and Insomnia, respectively), Sheer Force not working (properly? at all? Bite still causes flinching for some reason), Rattled getting activated by pretty much any attack, and something else that I just forgot about, haha.

The beta patch was built just today from this commit.

If you want to beta test, I'd appreciate trying to figure out what the heck causes these issues. I can't even reproduce the unconfirmed bugs, so I really need to know what is causing them. Try to find commonalities with the buggy ones that didn't happen with the OK ones. Like, what Ball did you catch them in? What time was it? Was Nuzlocke mode on? Etc.

And please give as much info as possible to reproduce them, if you can. Which Pok?mon learned Fire Blast instead of Spark, and at what level? At what point in the battle did Drowzee and Vulpix crash?right after their sprite showed up, right after it said "A wild X appeared!", after you sent out your own Pok?mon?

Edit: Do you mean that Nuzlocke mode turned on by itself? Just in case, you can reset the initial options by pressing Left+B at the title screen. Try that, turn it off, see if it turns back on again.

While it makes perfect sense for the dex to not know what species are present in certain areas it kind of makes the dex's Area function redundant. You could delete that function altogether, of course, but IMO the dex would be pretty much pointless as it would only offer information and cries...

That's true. Guess I was rationalizing not wanting to design a Pok?dex GUI for the Habitat List. :P

The Habitat List was my absolute favorite feature from B2W2, but this implementation leaves much to be desired and I don't believe is really necessary. Maybe it would be better if you full-screened the sign so that you don't have to scroll through, or used Pokemon icons on a full screen picture to show it. Either way, the Pokedex seems to already know what Pokemon appear where. If you find a Pidgey on Route 29, it magically knows all the other routes it appears on without you ever having gone there and seen one. I don't see why you wouldn't want to add it to the Pokedex, or make it a Key Item that could be registered to select for quick lookup. JasonPK's idea is a good one, I think. List only rare, interesting, or unique Pokemon on a route's sign. If this is the only place in the world where Snubbull appears, then it should go on the sign along with the rare 5%-ers.

I've reconsidered and may now add Habitat List as a function of Prof. Oak's PC. So you'd get a choice of Habitats, Rating, or Log Out. Habitats would list locations, and selecting one would list the species, along with caught indicators and maybe time/method indicators.

I didn't use the Habitat List in B2/W2 myself, and am not personally interested in completing the Pok?dex, so I'd like to hear more from someone who does and says the Habitat List was their "absolute favorite feature". (DexNav was apparently popular too.) What was good about it, the info specifically, or something about the graphical presentation? Does the Oak's PC thing sound OK?

I would absolutely loooooooove to beta test, but if I started Polished Crystal right now I know that I'd neglect things I have to do in real life. If you put out this offer literally two weeks from now, I would've been all over it! Alas, I'll have to wait. You'll get my super long feedback either way.

Not a problem, I hope you enjoy it when it comes out!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    I have found 2 bugs so far in the beta,
    1) joey's rattata was sent out missing some Hp (not sure if intended)
    2) my zubat used absorb on a geodude in dark cave and it just turned into a blank white screen
    EDIT; geodude in dark cave seem to be broken, I used water gun on one and the same thing happened that did with zubat

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Beta testers, thank you! A few game-crashing bugs have already been found and fixed. You can see the open and closed issues, in case a bug you find has already been reported or fixed in a newer version.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    And please give as much info as possible to reproduce them, if you can. Which Pok?mon learned Fire Blast instead of Spark, and at what level? At what point in the battle did Drowzee and Vulpix crash?right after their sprite showed up, right after it said "A wild X appeared!", after you sent out your own Pok?mon?
    It's all mons that learn Spark via learnset (Mareep, Flaaffy, Magnemite, Magneton, Pikachu, just to name a few). All, except for Pikachu, were caught with a regular pokeball. Not a Nuzlocke run. I noticed that it's been fixed for Mareep already; hope the other ones aren't hard to fix either.

The Drowzee and Vulpix crash happens after my mon is sent out. Should my mon have an ability that triggers at the start of a battle it will, but as soon as that's over the game will crash.

ALSO, scrolling through the dex in A-Z mode freezes the game, usually around the end of L/start of M. It also freezes in Johto mode, but interestingly enough it doesn't in National mode...

edit: I can also confirm the Rage not working properly bug. At first I thought it was a side effect of Sheer Force but in my latest "alpha" run I discovered that wasn't the case.

Edit: Do you mean that Nuzlocke mode turned on by itself? Just in case, you can reset the initial options by pressing Left+B at the title screen. Try that, turn it off, see if it turns back on again.
    Yeah that's what I meant. I made sure Nuzlocke was off before pressing New Game and again a few seconds later in the "how do you want to play PC" prompt, yet it turns itself on some time between then and when receiving the starter.

That's true. Guess I was rationalizing not wanting to design a Pok?dex GUI for the Habitat List. :P
    I've reconsidered and may now add Habitat List as a function of Prof. Oak's PC. So you'd get a choice of Habitats, Rating, or Log Out. Habitats would list locations, and selecting one would list the species, along with caught indicators and maybe time/method indicators.
    After working on 3.0 for so long it's understandable that at this stage you just want to finish all the important stuff and be done with it already. :P

Honestly, has anybody ever used the Rating function in the PC and/or gotten genuine satisfaction from the assessment? I reckon that can also be discarded in its entirety (or maybe not so that you don't have to think how to fill the void it'd leave after winning the league?), unless every time a completion landmark is achieved you're awarded something. I realize that overlaps with the role of the aides in certain gates, but if could be repurposed/being turned into other NPCs somewhere else...

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

Spark has been completely fixed. Drowzee and Vulpix were crashing due to Forewarn, which is fixed. Rage is not fixed yet.

I can't reproduce the Pok?dex freezing. Just which Pok?mon have you seen and caught?

No need to discard the Rating function, it's just calling the same code that's used when you talk to Prof. Oak himself.

What do y'all think of this trainer card design? It's based on Name Cards (1, 2) from the Japanese Mobile Adapter. I tried three ways of doing the top part; which looks better?

qpzXbD2.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    I can't reproduce the Pok?dex freezing. Just which Pok?mon have you seen and caught?
    I first encountered the dex issue shortly before challenging the first gym. I ran into it again a few minutes ago and I just beat the fifth gym. Interestingly enough, it only happens when I use the right button to scroll down (rather than down), and perhaps coincidentally, as soon as I tried to see the mon following Magcargo: Magikarp . Perhaps it's an emulator thing?

A couple of other minor issues:
    The description for Fur Coat has a funny symbol right at the end of the first line (right after "from"); and the second line isn't aligned properly ("physical" is right at the edge of the screen).

I think this has already been acknowledged (if not outright fixed) but Unnerve allows enemy mons to consume their berries while printing out a really weird message.

Edit: card design #2 looks the best IMO.

The ability Competitive has "---" for a name. :P

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I first encountered the dex issue shortly before challenging the first gym. I ran into it again a few minutes ago and I just beat the fifth gym. Interestingly enough, it only happens when I use the right button to scroll down (rather than down), and perhaps coincidentally, as soon as I tried to see the mon following Magcargo: Magikarp . Perhaps it's an emulator thing?

A couple of other minor issues:
    The description for Fur Coat has a funny symbol right at the end of the first line (right after "from"); and the second line isn't aligned properly ("physical" is right at the edge of the screen).

I think this has already been acknowledged (if not outright fixed) but Unnerve allows enemy mons to consume their berries while printing out a really weird message.

Edit: card design #2 looks the best IMO.

The ability Competitive has "---" for a name. :P

Just fixed all of that except the Unnerve bug. The Pok?dex scrolling was due to Magikarp having multiple patterns from Jump now. (Thank you for noticing it happened with Magikarp, that saved a lot of time.) Now it uses the first pattern you saw, same as Unown.

HvDOvbY.png

I didn't use the Habitat List in B2/W2 myself, and am not personally interested in completing the Pokédex, so I'd like to hear more from someone who does and says the Habitat List was their "absolute favorite feature". (DexNav was apparently popular too.) What was good about it, the info specifically, or something about the graphical presentation? Does the Oak's PC thing sound OK?

The Habitat List was the feature that got me to complete the Unova Pokedex on B2. I'm a completionist at heart, so having an indicator of when I've "finished" an area is a big deal to me. B2 had several Pokemon that could only be found rarely from phenomena (the grass shaking that normally spawned an Audino), a few Pokemon that were rare in normal grass, and a few in the dark double grass. Knowing that there was still Pokemon for me to find on the route kept me there longer searching for them, as it was a lot of fun for me to make sure that I wouldn't have to backtrack later. If you didn't know that the Ruins of Alph was the only place you could get a Smeargle, for example, you might run around and encounter 4 or 5 Natu and decide that there's nothing else there. The Habitat List being readily available on the route itself is a big deal for this feature (at least for me), so the Oak's PC implementation would probably make it so that I'd never use it.

Aesthetically, the Habitat List was nice as well. When you saw all the Pokemon in an area, you'd get a gray Poke Ball stamp on the list and it made it feel good to fill it up. When you caught everything on a Route, you'd get a colored stamp. It sounds dumb, but it just felt good to fill up the list. They did a good job making it feel rewarding with those little touches. Even if you haven't opened the list in a while, the stamp animation would play the next time you opened a completed route that hadn't been stamped yet.

Obviously, you don't need to full on emulate this for the list to have that effect. But I'd be wary of making the list inconvenient to use by requiring tons of scrolling. Not being able to see all the entries at once makes it more difficult to know at a glance what you're missing from an area, and not having it on hand while on the route in question would compound that issue. In B2W2, you could assign the list to your quick menu as well, so you could quickly pull up the list in 2 button presses, check what you're missing, and be back in the OW in less than 5 seconds.

The Habitat List also clearly delineated whether the Pokemon came from the grass, surfing, or fishing; but if space is at a premium for the list hypothetically getting a GUI, the delineations should probably be done by time of day.

I did not find the DexNav to be as good as the Habitat List. Being able to draw specific Pokemon to you undercut the need for the list and the difficulty of encountering rare Pokemon in the first place, Hoenn changed its wild Pokemon pool after encountering the Primals (so you had to backtrack anyway), and aesthetically it didn't look as nice (with the Pokemon scattered around haphazardly). There was also no nice visual indicator (as far as I can remember) congratulating you for completing a route, which made catching everything seem less rewarding and important. I also had a complete Living Pokedex when ORAS came out, so I may be biased a bit by not needing to catch any Pokemon for those games.

EDIT: Also, card design #2, but the Money looks a bit cramped at the max value.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    The ace trainer on route 31 has the same issue as the geodudes in dark cave, is any other beta tester having the issue of whenever you use a super effective move on a geodude from dark cave and that trainer the game goes white screen or is it just me?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    B2 had several Pokemon that could only be found rarely from phenomena (the grass shaking that normally spawned an Audino), a few Pokemon that were rare in normal grass, and a few in the dark double grass.

This would be difficult to pull off well with GSC's small Pokédex. I already moved some encounters around so you can get roughly one new Pokémon in each pre−Elite 4 location. (There are a few Kanto natives, most of which can be traded for in Johto if you really want them early.) However, what is probably feasible is occasional Egg moves on Pokémon in completed locations.

The Habitat List being readily available on the route itself is a big deal for this feature (at least for me), so the Oak's PC implementation would probably make it so that I'd never use it.

Good point. Hmm... what if it was available via the Town Map? I don't think there's room in the interface to describe it, but the Guide Gent could explain that pressing A/Start/Select will bring up a list of Pokémon in the highlighted location. (Then I just have to hope people don't skip past his text, assuming it's unchanged. Could add some more reminders like from Prof. Oak's aides.)

Aesthetically, the Habitat List was nice as well. When you saw all the Pokemon in an area, you'd get a gray Poke Ball stamp on the list and it made it feel good to fill it up. When you caught everything on a Route, you'd get a colored stamp.

There are inherent limits to how fancy the graphics can be in Gen 2, but some kind of "area complete!" stamp should be possible. What about a Poké Ball like this?

w3YmTeP.png

Maybe it could change color for "all seen" or "all caught", maybe it would just be for all caught.

But I'd be wary of making the list inconvenient to use by requiring tons of scrolling. Not being able to see all the entries at once makes it more difficult to know at a glance what you're missing from an area, and not having it on hand while on the route in question would compound that issue. In B2W2, you could assign the list to your quick menu as well, so you could quickly pull up the list in 2 button presses, check what you're missing, and be back in the OW in less than 5 seconds.

The Habitat List also clearly delineated whether the Pokemon came from the grass, surfing, or fishing; but if space is at a premium for the list hypothetically getting a GUI, the delineations should probably be done by time of day.

Well, I definitely can't use icons or a small font, so scrolling is going to be inevitable. I do think it would be feasible to add icons for morn, day, nite, Surf, and fish.

Also, card design #2, but the Money looks a bit cramped at the max value.

#2 seems to be the consensus. I was torn between it and #1. The ideal would be in-between with regard to white space, but the tile grid makes that impossible. As for the money, I think millionaires can deal with the imperfect display. :P (Actually, in GSC just having six digits would already look like that, "Money¥999999", no space. I special-cased the higher amounts to shift right by a character.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The ace trainer on route 31 has the same issue as the geodudes in dark cave, is any other beta tester having the issue of whenever you use a super effective move on a geodude from dark cave and that trainer the game goes white screen or is it just me?

This is an issue with either its item, Air Balloon, or its ability, Sturdy. Both have been fixed since the beta was released. I'll probably put out a new patch tomorrow.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    This is an issue with either its item, Air Balloon, or its ability, Sturdy. Both have been fixed since the beta was released. I'll probably put out a new patch tomorrow.

Ohh okay, good to know it was fixed, I forgot to save often and had to restart from my starter twice, will beta saves be compatible with 3.0 once its released on pokecommunity?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Sorry for bugging you with yet another bug:

Happened in the afternoon during a non-Nuzlocke run. Captured a shiny, level 24 Tauros; it automatically got sent to the PC where it became a level 0 mon; trying to see the stats freezes the game (possibly due to the game being unable to calculate the stats of a level 0 mon). This happens regardless of what type of ball I use to capture it. Withdrawing it out of the box restores it to its normal level and all screens are visible. Manually depositing the mon doesn't cause this issue.

edit: it's the first shiny mon I've acquired. Will try to hatch the egg given at the daycare.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Ohh okay, good to know it was fixed, I forgot to save often and had to restart from my starter twice, will beta saves be compatible with 3.0 once its released on pokecommunity?

No. I'm doing my best to make 3.0 so that plenty of new updates can be done as save-compatible patches like 3.0.1, 3.0.2, etc, but until the official release things can and will break.

Sorry for bugging you with yet another bug:

Happened in the afternoon during a non-Nuzlocke run. Captured a shiny, level 24 Tauros; it got sent to the PC where it became a level 0 mon; trying to see the stats freezes the game (possibly due to the game being unable to calculate the stats of a level 0 mon). This happens regardless of what type of ball I use to capture it. Getting it out of the box restores it to its normal level and all screens are visible.

Hmm. You caught it on Route 48? Lucky and yet not. I'll look into it. It sounds kind of like an earlier bug where PC Pokémon appeared as level 255 until being withdrawn, but that was fixed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Hmm. You caught it on Route 48? Lucky and yet not. I'll look into it. It sounds kind of like an earlier bug where PC Pokémon appeared as level 255 until being withdrawn, but that was fixed.

Sure did. Just updated my previous post including more detail on the matter. That being said hatching the egg won't let me reproduce the egg, but capturing the red Gyarados will. Hope to get back to you soon.
    My build includes that fix for it's only a few days old.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Hey Rangi, this might sound silly, but have you thought of something like a Magikarp Dex akin to the Unown Dex? Or maybe the Magikarp guy at Lake of Rage can give you points/prizes depending on how many different kinds of Magikarp you show him?

Back