• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to use animated sprites

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    Hi! I'm new to this Essentials pack.
    I'm trying to get started, setting a new project with the latest version, gen 6-7 pokemon and animated sprites.
    it seems as simple as replacing the .png sprites with .gif sprites, except the sprites are way too small in the battle screen.
    I've tried the script Elite Battle, which uses a single .png file divided into "frames", but the result doesn't look all that great. the sprites are all "pixelated" and hurt the eyes.
    so.. any advice?
    are there large sprites with better quality I can download? or a better method to resize them?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    With some research you would have found that Essentials does not offer support for .gifs. So the best way to have animated sprites is to use the .png files as it is done with the Elite Battle System. I think this is what most of the games with animated sprites use as a basis. It might be time costly but it is efficient and allows for good quality sprites. I have now idea what you mean by the sprites being "pixelated" - maybe you do not have the right sprites.
    EBS comes with Gen 1-5 animated sprites. If you want Gen 6 or Gen 7 animated sprites in Gen 5 style, you will have to make them yourself (or maybe you can find some of them on the Internet). If you stick to the Gen 6-style animations, it will look weird in EBS because it was designed for a Gen 5 battle environment.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    elite_battle_screen.png

I mean pixelated, as in, you can see each pixel cause the image was enlarged too much.
    Did I set it up wrong? I've seen games made with animated sprites, and don't remember them being like this.

oh, and I actually noticed ANY gen6 graphics are too small. even the static .png sprites are only 96x96 pixels, while gen1-5 sprites are 120x120.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • silver-wind;9734258e said:
    elite_battle_screen.png

I mean pixelated, as in, you can see each pixel cause the image was enlarged too much.
    Did I set it up wrong? I've seen games made with animated sprites, and don't remember them being like this.

This is exactly what it looks like in the official Gen 5 games. All I did was use official sprites to replicate the official battle scene.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    With some research you would have found that Essentials does not offer support for .gifs.
    With some more research, you would have found that Essentials DOES support gifs as Pokémon sprites.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    You've probably seen used 3D models as in gen 6 and 7. Thing is, those look even uglier in a 2D game.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    Try changing the variable BACKSPRITESCALE to 1.
    thanks. I tried it when you replied, but couldn't find it.
    finally found it, and it looks way better.
    I'll just have to adjust the pokemon's Y or edit the scripts, cause the HP bars now hide the pokemon.

one more question:
    I found a resource with 3 animations for each pokemon. I think they're meant to display attacking/ being hit animations. is there an existing script that uses them? it should be a simple script change of the pokemon's AnimatedBitmap, right?

Back