• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do your pc is strong enough to run newer or half-newer games?

Years
  • Mine can't run some half-newer games like gta v and probably won't even run doom 2016, but can run half-old games like gta iv, tf2, cs:go (it's the only source engine game that i have on low), cs:source, doom 3 and even garry's mod, and the reason why some newer games like gta v can't run it's because i have an intel core i5 with only 6 gb of ram, yeah, not enough to run this game, i even was forced to get an settings.xml archive that reduces things like shadows, shadows are probably the thing that makes the game really laggy in some pc's, of course still lag sometimes but is playable, tf2, cs:source and garry's mod even if they are in default graphics settings, is still pretty optimized, hell i can even run goldsrc games like cs 1.6 or tfc, because they are old, duh.
    And what about you?
    Do you pc is strong enough to run newer or half-newer games?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I can run newer games, so long as I turn down the settings. Mad Max ran pretty good at lower settings, same with GTA V (about on par with the PS3 version) and that's fine by me!

Despite 'lower' settings, they still both looked great. I don't get the need to run everything at super HD levels that so many crave. Looks aren't everything, so long as it runs and looks fine to you.

Years
  • I can run newer games, so long as I turn down the settings. Mad Max ran pretty good at lower settings, same with GTA V (about on par with the PS3 version) and that's fine by me!

Despite 'lower' settings, they still both looked great. I don't get the need to run everything at super HD levels that so many crave. Looks aren't everything, so long as it runs and looks fine to you.

Oh, that is good, but even if is gta san andreas, i still have to lower the settings, because of the goddamn bush that lags the game, gta iv also had to lower the settings too, i have to admit, they still look good even in lower settings, and also cs:go had to lower the settings also too, but there is a game that lagged in your pc no matter if you lower the settings?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Oh, that is good, but even if is gta san andreas, i still have to lower the settings, because of the goddamn bush that lags the game, gta iv also had to lower the settings too, i have to admit, they still look good even in lower settings, and also cs:go had to lower the settings also too, but there is a game that lagged in your pc no matter if you lower the settings?

Even my old computer could run something like SA. barely, but it could.

Well, I'm sure that as settings continue to skyrocket, in due time even the lowest settings will probably not run well, but I'm not there yet.

The most lag I've had is trying to run something is on complicated emulation. Like a PS2 emulator, which is tricky enough to run.
    I think you'd have to have mega power to get those games to play super smoothly, if it's possible at all. They were playable, but noticeably choppy and even frustrating at times.

Not had the issue for actual games made for PC yet though.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even my old computer could run something like SA. barely, but it could.

Well, I'm sure that as settings continue to skyrocket, in due time even the lowest settings will probably not run well, but I'm not there yet.

The most lag I've had is trying to run something is on complicated emulation. Like a PS2 emulator, which is tricky enough to run.
    I think you'd have to have mega power to get those games to play super smoothly, if it's possible at all. They were playable, but noticeably choppy and even frustrating at times.

Not had the issue for actual games made for PC yet though.

Yeah, the issue with lag only happened with gta v, no other gta i had lag, also interested in your old pc, might be an windows xp or an vista or even an windows 2000.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    My comp can play some MMOs, and some JPRGs, but I have to turn the graphics down.

It can't play newer games like Overwatch very easily, which pisses me off, because I bought it, and tried to play on low settings, and it worked but barely...

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah, the issue with lag only happened with gta v, no other gta i had lag, also interested in your old pc, might be an windows xp or an vista or even an windows 2000.

Yep, XP. I literally used that from then to 2015 when I skipped all the way to 10 on the new one.

It was so ancient too, it never could've played anything past a PS1 era game until the video card got replaced. That's the only reason it could handle GTA anything.

Hilariously too, it only had about 32 gigabytes total memory and yet I still tried GTA IV on it, when that game was almost that entire size! Oh man that install progress was a comedy of errors, haha.

And after all that... Only the text showed up and it barely worked at all.

Years
  • Yep, XP. I literally used that from then to 2015 when I skipped all the way to 10 on the new one.

It was so ancient too, it never could've played anything past a PS1 era game until the video card got replaced. That's the only reason it could handle GTA anything.

Hilariously too, it only had about 32 gigabytes total memory and yet I still tried GTA IV on it, when that game was almost that entire size! Oh man that install progress was a comedy of errors, haha.

And after all that... Only the text showed up and it barely worked at all.

I think gta iv should not be supposed to run in xp, because it was really actual and difficult to run for the time it was released for the pc, also i've wanted to download the game in my old xp for like so many years since i was a kid, but, i could encounter any portable version, then, i only installed the game in my pc and got to play it only in 2016, yeah, also i didn't know gta sa at the time of gta iv, and i confused cj with a white bald man like niko bellic, yeah...good times, also my old xp computer broke in 2014, the same year that xp officially ended support, and now i have windows 8 and it works pretty fine tbh. Also, windows xp is 16 years old, there is no way gta iv could run alright even if you lower the settings, cs:go also is from 2012, windows xp would practically burn and explode if you tried to run it even on lower settings, cs:go also shouldn't be released for windows xp either.

pkmin3033

My laptop has an i5-6300HQ and GTX 970M, so whilst it could certainly be better by current standards I can run anything I want to pretty comfortably, and some higher-end games too if I make a few compromises with settings that I probably wouldn't even notice.

...but more important than that, it has a customisable backlit keyboard.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I don't have a 144Hz monitor and I play at 1080 instead of something fancy like 1440 or beyond, but mostly every new game runs at a steady 60 for me unless it's horribly optimized. I'm pretty happy with my pc. It wasn't overly expensive and I built it myself years ago

Years
  • I think so? I play FFXIV just fine, even when clustered together with a bunch of people in a small map. I've a MacBook Pro 2017 with touch bar which isn't exactly known for being a stellar gaming computer (it is a Mac haha, though I do have a Windows partition...) but the specs are fine and it does well!

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Mine can play pretty much anything at max graphics. Its less than a year old. Has a i7 7700k and a GTX1080, I must admit the only game that really pushes it is rainbow 6 siege, other than that it handles anything easily.

Back