• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen fun pokemon to use

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • so i've played rse a ton of times now but i bought a japanese sapphire version yesterday so lol. i'm looking to play again just kind of on the side, but i'm strugglin to think of what i should use bc you know. i've played it so many times already. so i'm just curious as to what you guys find fun to use in these games. i enjoy a lot of the obvious stuff -- blaziken, gardevoir, ludicolo, altaria, absol. i'm trying to think more outside of my norm when i go into this playthrough, maybe use some stuff i ain't used in a minute. suggestions? or just talk about your experiences using some pokemon in these games that you really enjoyed -- even better if it's something that surprised you with how good it might have been!

Years
  • Maybe Sableye? No weakness because fairies don't exist is pretty nice.

Some other oddities I can think of are Nosepass, Relicanth, Cacturne, Crawdaunt, and Shedinja.

These are some Pokemon that I have thought about using in the past but never did. The only one from that list I have used was Crawdaunt and I enjoyed using it.

Years
  • yep shedinja is fun to try out. dont know if it could be a permanent team member though :/
    torkoal with curse is actually a good member when i used it a long time ago. blazed through everything

Years
  • I enjoy using gimmicky and "weaker" Pokémon, so here are some of my choices:
    Beautifly/Dustox - These 2 early bugs aren't the strongest Bug-Types in the world, but I remember using Dustox throughout the whole Sapphire and it was my ace Pokémon for beating Tate and Liza.
    Slaking - While it has huge stats, it's ability is nice balance for using it in battle as you have to plan in advance.
    Shedinja - Great Pokémon for stalling. Using ti requires knowledge of your opponents, though.
    Sableye - It was already mentioned here. It has okay stats and no weakness.
    Castform - Pokémon that change it's time according to the weather can prove to be great team member for more weather-based teams.
    Wobbuffet - I know it's Gen II Pokémon, but I love using Wobbuffet. I finished few runs only thanks to it.

And then Pokémon with either low stats or bad movesets that still can pull some interesting strategies and can make the game more challenging:
    Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise, Swalot, Torkoal, Spinda, Chimecho, Luvdisc.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • thanks for the suggestions! i actually use beautifly and dustox quite often. they're super fun, i'll fight anyone that say otherwise, lol. cacturne is really speaking to me so i think i'm gonna go that route bc it's been a long time since i used him. crawdaunt is one i considered on a recent run but decided against it bc lack of dark moves buuuut if cacturne is gonna cover that base then perhaps. sableye is something i've actually used often too, plus i wouldn't need another dark type. slaking could be fun, too. it hits so hard that i could probably just deal with truant lol.

also fun fact about shedinja: i used one on my team as a kid in ruby one on a replay. my sister wanted to battle me bc she had a level 40 swampert (and like rando pokemon she didn't level up lol) and i had only recently restarted. she had nothing that could hit my shedinja so i was slowly taking down her swampert with cut while she cried and said i was cheating. it was beautiful.

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I used a Grumpig wayyyyyyyy back then. I quite enjoyed it. May not be the fastest but with a base 90 special attack, it hits pretty hard.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Yooo! I would suggest Shuppet, especially since in gen 3, ghost types were considered as physical moves. There is also chimeco if you are in the mood to use something gimmicky.

Back