• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Simulators - Do you like random battles?

Years
Battle simulators like Pokémon Showdown offer random battle formats, where you're randomly assigned a team that fits the chosen criteria (monotype random, color random, gen 7 random, etc). What do you think of the random format on battle simulators? Do you like using randomly generated Pokémon, or would you prefer battling with a team you've put together yourself?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I like Random Battles. For a while, they were the only battle format I cared about.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen today
As far as skill expression is concerned, I much prefer formats where one has to build their own team. There's an additional dynamic where the player has to think of what kind of Pokémon or teams or styles that they may have to go against. It's sometimes really hard, but the satisfaction of making a successful team is well worth it.

As for Random Battles, I don't dislike the format. I prefer Battle Factory formats to "traditional" random formats, since the sets are much more standard (what I'm used to) and the difference between the teams has a lot less variance. I think Random Battles put the player in a place where they have to analyze their resources and use them carefully - it's skillful in its own way.

Years
In my honest opinion i prefer Formats in which one has to build for. Building a team not only provides a capstone in that one has mastered or is an expert in the tier in a sense but it adds to the quality of skill involved in playing. OU for example fits this criteria and as a builder and player building a team that wins vs. an opponent in tour play or peaks ladder is satisfying and demonstrates this "skill". While i also enjoy Random battle formats from time to time despite them being less competitive, the fact that when you hit that "Find Battle" button sometimes one is often at the mercy of RNG whether or not they would have a good team. While i acknowledge that one might say that "It is a sign of skill to use the random team of mons that one is dealt with" i do not disagree with that but i just find it less satisfying than winning with a team i built in a format in which one would have to build for.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I like random battles when I need to take a break from more competitive tiers like OU. They are a nice refreshing approach and are available in dozens of different formats. In fact there are quite a few formats now that have competitively viable teams so they feel a lot more like regular battles. That said, teambuilding is the most important part of battling. Anyone can win with preset teams so they don't do much outside of helping you with the fundamentals. They are just super fun!

Back