• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lost Media

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What is your opinion on Lost Media?

Not the creepypasta lost episodes, actual lost media, like, for example, the stolen Cigerettes and Valentine's Green Day album that's lost to this day, and the lost pilot of the Backyardigans, to name a few.

What are some "Lost media" you hope are found someday, from ones you've heard about?

Years
  • I've been binging lost media iceberg videos recently and lucky for me one of the ones that caught my eye was discovered recently!
    It was what people assumed was an adult film called Penis (1965), and it intrigued me because I didn't know why people were looking for a lost adult film. Turns out it was actually an art film that people suspect is about someone who is coming to terms with being a trans woman, which is quite interesting for something made in the 60s.

As for actual lost media, my favourite is probably the Mean Girls DS game, because it's so bizarre to me that what you'd expect to be a high profile game that a bunch of preteens bought is totally lost.

Years
  • The most immediate thing that springs to mind, for me personally, is Eurovision.

I love Eurovision to bits, and there is an awful lot of stuff still missing, even after the EBU started a drive to find the lost media.

The whole of 1956 (the first year) is missing, except for the winner's reprise. It's believed that it was never actually recorded by any of the TV stations that broadcast it live. So probably not much hope there.

The holy grail for me is 1964. It was broadcast live, and at least one recording was made, but it no longer seems to exist. There was some hope of a copy in the French TV archives, but I believe that turned out to be audio only. There was also talk of a 16mm copy existing in Malta, but I've heard nothing since. Pretty much all that exists is a small clip of the winner's reprise.

It's a real shame, because the winner of the 1964 ESC happens to be one of my favourites. I dream of one day seeing the whole performance, so if you happen to have a copy in your attic, be sure to hook me up!

Years
  • when i saw the title my mind immediately went to Cigarettes and Valentines, but it was already mentioned in the original post.

it's incredible to think where Green Day would be if those masters didn't get stolen. would we even get American Idiot any point? or would they have fallen into obscurity sooner or later?

Years
  • So the big one is the Eurovision Song Contest, however there's a load of missing Pingu pilots I've not sure have ever seen the surface? Would love to see these.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • The lost media I really want to be uncovered some day are those destroyed Doctor Who tapes that I've heard about. I know some have been found and reconstructed, but there's still over 100 lost episodes. I'm not into Doctor Who that much anymore, but I do think this is a really interesting bit of history I wish was preserved.

Also, apparently, the raw footage of the moon landing is lost, which I find to be very mysterious since... that was a landmark in history.

Back