• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst pokemon species names

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So here's a thread where we discuss what are some of the most unfitting categories the pokedex bestown on certain creatures. As in, the _______ pokemon part, what do you think are some weird ones? For me...

Slowbro being the Hermit crab pokemon
    Someone please tell me where exactly is the crab in that design.

Dunsparce being the Land snake pokemon
    Because we were totally gonna mistake it for an air snake. Apparantly this was brought up on a similar thread here and I believe that post claimed it was a mistranslation.

Blastoise being the Shellfish pokemon
    Shellfish defines things like crustaceans, clams, and by the looks of it, not turtles. I also heard this was a mistranslation.

So what are some species names you guys think are weird?

Years
  • Arcanine... 'Legendary' pokemon.
    Kinda 4th wall breaking, but I refuse to call it a Legendary ^^

Grapploct... 'Jujitsu' Pokemon
    looks more like a wrestler to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Anorith - the Old Shrimp Pokemon.

Someone needs to throw Anorith out! It's starting to smell...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Anorith - the Old Shrimp Pokemon.

Someone needs to throw Anorith out! It's starting to smell...

Hahaha, this is cute. I like the species name though! I mean, you can't deny it's accurate.

I don't care for how Rhydon and Nidoking / Nidoqueen are both the "Drill Pokemon". Kinda lazy imo.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Pokémon whose categories are literally just animal names always make me feel weird. The PokéDex is pretty much the only time real animals are mentioned in the games (aside from some Pokémon being "Bug"-type, for instance), and it's just...odd.

Here are a few notably goofy ones I came across:
    If you're looking for unfitting, Wooper and Quagsire take the cake. "Water Fish" Pokémon? What makes them so much more "water" than other "fish" Pokémon? They're not even fish; they're amphibians!
    -Horsea and Seadra are called the "Dragon" Pokémon, but...you get the idea.
    -Love how Zangoose is called the "Cat Ferret" Pokémon when the word MONGOOSE is literally in its name.
    -Cyndaquil is called the "Fire Mouse" Pokémon when...no. That's not a mouse. So close, yet so far.
    -Bidoof is called the "Plump Mouse" Pokémon, even though Bibarel is called the "Beaver" Pokémon.
    -Pachirisu's, Galvantula's, and the Tynamo line's categories are really strange to me. "EleSquirrel?" "EleSpider?" "EleFish?" Those are certainly ways to categorize Pokémon.

Is it alright to use Japanese categories too? I find Galarian Zapdos being categorized as a "Good Walker" Pokémon hilarious, as if its most notable asset is its ability to walk well.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't know how many are a result of mistranslations but these come to my mind:

-Venusaur, the "Seed" Pokémon, because why is still called the Seed Pokémon in its final evolution stage.

-Cyndaquil the Fire "Mouse", as mentioned above.

-Electabuzz and Zapdos, the "Electric" Pokémon.
    I mean that was just incredibly lazy. Zapdos could have been called the "Thunder bird" or something.

-Brionne the "Pop Star" and Inteleon the "Secret Agent"... Seriously WAT?

Years
  • Horsea, The Dragon Pokemon
    Bruhh....😒

Pokémon whose categories are literally just animal names always make me feel weird. The PokéDex is pretty much the only time real animals are mentioned in the games (aside from some Pokémon being "Bug"-type, for instance), and it's just...odd.

Here are a few notably goofy ones I came across:
    If you're looking for unfitting, Wooper and Quagsire take the cake. "Water Fish" Pokémon? What makes them so much more "water" than other "fish" Pokémon? They're not even fish; they're amphibians!
    -Horsea and Seadra are called the "Dragon" Pokémon, but...you get the idea.
    -Love how Zangoose is called the "Cat Ferret" Pokémon when the word MONGOOSE is literally in its name.
    -Cyndaquil is called the "Fire Mouse" Pokémon when...no. That's not a mouse. So close, yet so far.
    -Bidoof is called the "Plump Mouse" Pokémon, even though Bibarel is called the "Beaver" Pokémon.
    -Pachirisu's, Galvantula's, and the Tynamo line's categories are really strange to me. "EleSquirrel?" "EleSpider?" "EleFish?" Those are certainly ways to categorize Pokémon.

Is it alright to use Japanese categories too? I find Galarian Zapdos being categorized as a "Good Walker" Pokémon hilarious, as if its most notable asset is its ability to walk well.

Haha, seems like raising a mouse will eventually get me a beaver!

Last edited by a moderator:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • -Pachirisu's, Galvantula's, and the Tynamo line's categories are really strange to me. "EleSquirrel?" "EleSpider?" "EleFish?"

I think for Pachirisu Electric Squirrel probably wouldn't fit on the screen or something, but that's just me guessing.

Also Seadra being the "dragon" pokemon isn't that hard to believe. Seadra literally has -dra in its name, so.

-------

Anyway, Mew being the New Species Pokemon is just stupid. It's definitely not a new species by any means.

Caterpie being the "worm Pokemon" when it's clearly a Caterpillar, clearly stated in its name.

Ratatta and Raticate being the Mouse Pokemon after generation iii, which is stupid. It's a rat, not a mouse. Rats =/= mouse, they are completely different rodents.

Sandshrew and Sandslash being "Mouse Pokemon" too, that doesn't look like a mouse to me. Sandslash especially not.

Furret's isn't "the worst" but I find Long Body Pokemon to be a little silly.

Ledyba and Ledian being the Five Star Pokemon when they have no stars to speak of on their body. Where did this classification even come from?

Politoed being called the Frog Pokemon when it's called PoliTOED it is not a frog, it's clearly a toad. It's right there in the name. Frog =/= toad, they're similar but they're not the same animal at all.

Girafarig as the Long Neck Pokemon when it has doesn't have that long of a neck, if you ask me. But, I can forgive this one.

Numel being the Numb Pokemon doesn't make sense to me. This one just comes to me as a strange one.

Happiny being the "playhouse Pokemon" I think this one shouldn't be one word, it should be two. It just feels mistranslated to me, I don't know. I a playhouse is an object, there should be a space in between play and house so it's a verb instead of a noun. That's just a nitpick, though.

Froslass being the Snow Land Pokemon is just an odd one to me. Feels like a poor choice of wording.

Buzzwole being the Swollen Pokemon is weird, but it's a ultra beast so it doesn't really matter, I guess.

That's it, though, I skipped the ones other people already said,

Years
  • Dwebble being referred to as the 'Rock Inn Pokémon' and Crustle as the 'Stone Home Pokémon' is so strange to me considering how open they are to calling many other Pokémon as animals outright (chinchilla, mouse, bird, turtle, etc).

Back