• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Nearly a month since the last post - let's keep the Challenge alive people! Sorry it's been a while since my last post, I've been busy/on holiday.

We've got 53 - yes FIFTY-THREE - Challengers, so surely we can get some more regular updates going?

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Name: Nick
    Game: Heartgold
    Pokemon:Relicanth, Omastar, Kabutops, Swalot, Armaldo, Aerodactyl, Banette, Zangoose, Cacturne, Altaria, Grumpig, Abomasnow, Glalie, Walrein, Kangaskhan, Ursarang, Mismagius, Ledian, Ariados, Spiritomb, Politoed, Cloyster, Arcanine, Electivire, Magmortar, Mismagius, Lanturn, Espeon, and Lopunny.
    Number:6
    Requirements: At least one water type.

Magikarplvl.98

The Water Pokemon Defender
    Years
  • sorry life got in the way of me doing the challenge but i just invested a few hours into silver and now have seven gym badges and caused Team Rocket to re-disband heres my lineup now
    Yanma/Fauxdragon
    lvl.28
    Tackle
    Sonicboom
    Quick Attack
    Double Team
    Quagsire/Who per?
    lvl.30
    Watergun
    Tail Whip
    Slam
    Amnesia
    Xatu/Psychosis
    lvl.31
    Fly
    Leer
    Night Shade
    Teleport
    Kangaskhan/Karen
    lvl.32 Item-Pinkbow
    Mega Punch
    Rage
    Bite
    Surf
    Typhlosion/Cynda
    lvl.37 Item-Charcoal
    Cut
    Quick Attack
    Smokescreen
    Flame Wheel
    There is my update next one coming whenever I play next
    For Fat Cat
    Politoad, Espeon, Ursarang, Spirittomb, Arcanine, Electivire
    Hop they work for you

Wi-fi Battler

currently in la la land.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2011
    Name: Bee
    Game: Fire-red
    Pokemon:

Spoiler:

Number:5+1 Slave(choose for me)
    Requirements: Someone that can learn surf and someone that can learn fly. Also pick which one will be my starter Pokemon
    Note: All pokemon listed are in their first stage. As time goes on, I will Evolve them.
    looking forward to doing this ^.^

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2018
    Some1 choose for me:

Name: Creeper
    Game: Fire-red Omega (if possible it's a hack with the national pokedex from the beggining and only missing the starters you didn't choose)
    Requirements: A surfer and a flyer. ! starter only plz
    Note:
    Pokemon (they are all the fully evolved forms):

Spoiler:

There we go :)

Diversity is requested on the types

Can't choose to the one above me some1 else beat me to it
    Plus you guys are taking so long to choose my pokes...

Last edited:

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    So i can hack in any 6 pokemon i've always wanted to complete the game with? o3o

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Some1 choose for me:

Name: Creeper
    Game: Fire-red Omega (if possible it's a hack with the national pokedex from the beggining and only missing the starters you didn't choose)
    Requirements: A surfer and a flyer. ! starter only plz
    Note:
    Pokemon (they are all the fully evolved forms):

Spoiler:

There we go :)

Diversity is requested on the types

Can't choose to the one above me some1 else beat me to it
    Plus you guys are taking so long to choose my pokes...
    You get Omastar, Weezing, Noctowl, Dugtrio, Hitmonchan, and Gengar.

So i can hack in any 6 pokemon i've always wanted to complete the game with? o3o
    Actually, you post a list, and someone chooses your team.

Here's my entry. This will be my second time doing this!

Name: Jdthebud
    Game: SoulSilver
    Requirements: Need someone who can learn Surf and Fly. Also, try to give me a variety of types.

Here's my list, it's sorted a bit by primary types. Flying/Surfing are in italics/bold:

Spoiler:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    You can have Wailord, Aerodactyl, Froslass, Pachirisu, Hitmonchan and Granbull.

Sorry it's been so long since I upda- wow, deja vu...Anyway, here's part...whatever of my Heart Gold run.

-Headed back to Ecruteak, temporarily forgetting that Maria has fly now and found myself surprised at the lack of random encounters on the water outside Mt. Mortar...and immediately after I thought that, ENTEI!
    -Anyway, time for another gym

Vs. Pryce.
    I led with Cher, he started with Seel. Seel got leech seeded and set up hail before falling asleep, leech seed easily outhealed the hail and snore while Cher set up some growths, Dewgong and Seel were both one hit KOs. Piloswine KOd Cher with Blizzard only to be taken down by Roadkill's glare+headbutt combo. Glacier Badge get!

-Got a call from professor Elm, headed to Goldenrod
    -Dressed as a rocket grunt, had my disguise removed in a scene that launched a thousand fanarts.
    -Beat Petrel, got the basement key
    -Beat Gav, Fergie evolved
    -Freed the chairman, got the card key
    -Beat Archer, got the Rainbow Wing
    -Went through Ice Path
    -Gym time!

Vs. Clair
    Gyarados got frozen, confused and leech seeded...yeah, overkill. Both dragonairs got ice beamed, Kingdra got confused and seeded before going down to a crit ice beam. Rising badge ge-WHAT?!

-Went into the Dragon's Den, got my badge, TM and type booster.
    -Headed back to New Bark Town, got the Master Ball
    -Flew to Ecruteak to battle the Kimono Girls
    -...I'll do it later. And I'm definitely not just saying that because I don't want to deal with the fact that I'm underleveled, that would be silly >.>

Current Team:
    Sting/Mantine Lv.33
    Modest/Water Absorb
    -Ice Beam
    -Signal Beam
    -Surf
    -(Went to the move deleter even though I didn't have anything to teach him) :P

Roadkill/Dunsparce Lv.31
    Adamant/Serene Grace
    -Headbutt
    -Bite
    -Glare
    -Rollout

Cher/Sunflora Lv.31
    Modest/Chlorophyll
    -Energy Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Growth
    -Leech Seed

Solid/Seviper Lv.30
    Quirky/Shed Skin
    -Night Slash
    -Poison Tail
    -Headbutt
    -Bite

Fergie/Camerupt Lv.34
    Hardy/Solid Rock
    -Flamethrower
    -Rock Slide
    -Mud Bomb
    -AncientPower

Maria/Murkrow Lv.30
    Lax/Super Luck
    -Faint Attack
    -Haze
    -Fly
    -Confuse Ray

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • You can have Wailord, Aerodactyl, Froslass, Pachirisu, Hitmonchan and Granbull.
    Finally someone posted. Thanks for a great team! Pachirisu will be interesting with Pickup.

I will start out with a hacked Pachirisu, then hack the rest after I beat a gym, since none of them are easily obtainable (Snubbul is a 1% chance too). I'll go in a reasonable order though.

Years

• I know I'm already signed up for this, but I totally lost my file. I'll be using Ruby and I would like only 3 Pokemon please :3

Spoiler:

Gosh, I never realized how many Pokemon I had been ignoring..​

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years

• I know I'm already signed up for this, but I totally lost my file. I'll be using Ruby and I would like only 3 Pokemon please :3

Spoiler:

Gosh, I never realized how many Pokemon I had been ignoring..​
    Crawdaunt, Linoone, Weezing

And here's update #1.

Name: Fred
    Rival: Silver
    Starter: Totodile
    • After the beginning stuff, I hacked in Hoarder the Pachirisu.
    • Beat Falkner with Hoarder's Quick Attack and Spark.
    • Hacked in Blimpie the Wailmer in Slowpoke Cave.
    • Beat Bugsy with Blimpie's Rollout.
    • Hacked in Boxer the Hitmonchan just before Goldenrod.
    • Beat Whitney with Boxer's Revenge and Mach Punch.
    • Saved in the National Park.
    Screens:
    Spoiler:

Team Fred:
    Spr_4p_417_m.png

Hoarder the Serious Pachirisu, ♂ - L20
    Ability: Pickup
    Moves: Quick Attack, Spark, Headbutt, Charm
    Spr_4h_107.png

Boxer the Docile Hitmonchan, ♂ - L20
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Moves: Revenge, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Pursuit
    Spr_4d_320.png

Blimpie the Relaxed Wailmer, ♀ - L21
    Ability: Water Veil
    Moves: Water Pulse, Headbutt, Whirlpool, Rollout

HM Slaves:
    Totodile - Cut
    Geodude - Rock Smash

Last edited:

NeroTH

Aspiring Master of Mega Evolution
    Years
  • Okay, so I haven't posted status updates for a while. Blame the fact that my comp broke. No problems with the hard drive, but the screen broke off, so I had to get a new one. Got everything off my old hard drive, so I'll be picking up from where I left off, soon. I'll edit when I've got a status update.

Oh, also, I'm wondering how I put in the little challenge bar in my sig?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm new here and really enjoyed the idea of this challenge. Can I take up the ultimate challenge, starting in Fire Red ? I'll be using an emulator and hacking in everything at levels 2-5,so lack of availability and other such stuff won't affect me. I'd also like to take up the optional challenge :D

Name:Kimbo
    Game:FireRed
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Surfer, Flyer, 2 Pokes per region ( Kanto, Johto, Hoenn)

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm new here and really enjoyed the idea of this challenge. Can I take up the ultimate challenge, starting in Fire Red ? I'll be using an emulator and hacking in everything at levels 2-5,so lack of availability and other such stuff won't affect me. I'd also like to take up the optional challenge :D

Name:Kimbo
    Game:FireRed
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Surfer, Flyer, 2 Pokes per region ( Kanto, Johto, Hoenn)
    Go with Arbok, Slowbro, Dunsparce, Girafarig, Tropius, Absol. Have fun, and I made it so you wouldn't need to hack the National Pokedex (yay!).

Years
  • Go with Arbok, Slowbro, Dunsparce, Girafarig, Tropius, Absol. Have fun, and I made it so you wouldn't need to hack the National Pokedex (yay!).

Dec 3rd, 2011
    Hallelujah ! The day I finally get my own pokemon! I leave for Ol' Prof Oak's Lab, but he isn't there. Oh well I'll go check the Route out behin my house, he normally checks on the pokemon there. As I head up towards the Route he shouts me, and after a brief conversation we head to his lab where HE (!!!) is waiting. Oak then says that I get to have a pokemon. I take Bulbasaur, he's number 1 :D. After some more talking and Bulbasaur scrapping with his Charmander, I head out to the Route , battling weak Pidgeys and Rattatta's.
    After a small walk I arrive in Viridian City. I head straight to the Pokemon Center to heal, then head to the Mart, to buy some Pokeballs. Then the chick, at the counter, refused to serve me untill I deliver this parcel to Oak ! The nerve !! I relunctantly agree and head back home.
    When I get there I give Oak his Parcel, HE (!!!) and myself recieve a Pokedex and 5 Pokeballs !! YES !! I head straight out on the route when I find an Ekans ! A rare sight this close to town, and a risk to the people. I aimed to sneak up on it and catch it. But it turned and saw me. It jumped straight at me ! I ducked in the nick of time ! I sent out Bulbasaur and had it use leech seed to stun the Snake Pokemon. But it was too late, Ekans was wrapped around Bulbasaur's neck. I caught the Ekans but Bulbasaur was in a bad way. I ran to Proffesor Oak's Lab.
    The diagnosis was bad. Bulbasaur wasn't fit for battling. Oak gave me two options, let Mom keep it as a pet, or take him along as a pet. I let Mom keep him, on the condition I can use him to cut tree's when I need too. I give Bulba an emotional goodbye and head off my Sevvy, the name I gave my Ekans. We train up on the local Pokemon.Sevvy was a vicous quick attacker, wrapping his victims untill they passed out (PERSONALITY RULE: Must Always Have ONE of Wrap/Bind/Constrict in a moveslot) .I healed at the center , then head of to Viridian Forrest.

Spoiler:

I think I'll tone down updates a little ,took me a while to write this one :P

PART 2: BOULDER BADGE
    So me and Sevvy head to the Forest. Just before going in an Old Man stops me. He shows me how to catch a Pokemon, because obviously there as a ghost that caught Sevvy for me. After that he gives me a little portable TV. That has only one station. The Education Channel !!. I'll throw THAT to the bottom of the bag.
    Immediately after arriving in the Forest I see a Girafarig, nibbling on the leaves of the tree's. I send out Sevvy, hoping he doesn't hurt this gentle creature. Sevvy flung itself at the Two Headed pokemon, wrapping itself around its neck. Girafarig bucked and Sevvy flew straight off. "Wow !" I muttere. Girafarig hears me and immidiatly retracts its neck and hides its girrafe head. Sevvy see's the oppertunity and wraps himself around Girafarigs legs. Girafarig fell on the floor. Taking the opportunity I throw the ball at the downed Pokemon. I catch Girafarig and name her Luna. We go back to the Poke Center , heal and train in the forest, against the wild Pokemon and the large amount of Bug Catchers. Whilst training I found that Girafarig hide her head everytime she boosted her stats, she hid her head , so I stopped trying too. (PERSONALITY RULE: Can't use stat boosting moves). The final trainer in the forest mentioned a boy who was attempting to crash the pokemon league. It was HIM !!!! I headed back as fast as possible to Viridian City !
    I met him on a little side route. He taunted me about my poor Bulba !! I was furious and threw Sevvy out of his ball. He sent out a Pidgey. Sevvy jumped straight out at the Pidgey and wrapped itself around the Tiny Bird Pokemon. This left Pidgey flightless. Then Ekans gently bit the Pidgey, pushing its venom into the birds system. Slowly, causing little damage, Pidgey passed out and was recalled. HE then sent out his Charmander. Sevvy flung himself at the Lizard Pokemon but Charmander fired out an Ember which hit Sevvy in midflight , flung him backwards and Sevvy was really struggling. I brought him back and sent out Luna to Tackle straight into Charmander. Charmander was unable to battle, deeply winded. I had defeated HIM again!
    I ran back through the Forest to Pewter City and ,after healing, run into the gym. It was very cave like, dark with big boulders. There was two trainers in there. I walk to the first trainer, who is training under Brock, the Gym Leader. Luna easily dispatched of both his Geodude and Sandshrew. Next up is Brock himself.
    I spoke to the calm collected young Gym Leader and challenge him to a battle. He lead with a geodude and I sent out Luna. He curled up into a ball to defend himself then attempted to keep Tackling me. I say attempted ,as Luna kept using Astonish to make Geodude flinch. Luna won the battle between the two but was hurting. As Brock's Onix got sent out I withdrew Luna and sent in Sevvy. Sevvy flung himself at Onix straight away, however Onix caught him in midair and started to Bind him. Whilst Sevvy was in the Bind attack I healed Luna using my two potions I had stored in my bag. When Luna was fully healed I told Sevvy to Poison Sting the Onix. It took Sevvy a few turns but eventually he hit the Posion Sting on the Onix, slowly weakening the Rock Snake. However before the poison could finish Onix off the Rock Snake landed a Rock Tomb on Sevvy. When he was pulled from the rubble he was declared unable to battle. I sent in Luna, and he Astonished the Onix, making him flinch an letting the Poison finish him off. I have won my 1st Gym Badge! Brock hands me my badge and also a machine which he says will teach one of my Pokemon Rock Tomb. I heal and head off to Mt Moon !
    TEAM IN SPOILER
    Spoiler:

Thoughts and opinions guys ?

PART 3: MOUNTAIN ON THE MOON
    After healing and visiting the PokeMart I head to the East of town where I am intercepted by Prof Oak's Aid. He says I have a parcel....-_- If I have to deliver another.... Oh its from Mom. Running Shoes ? Are these shoes Lead ?Why can't I run in these ? And what the hell is this push B to run nonsense ?! What the blinking hell is B ?!
    After recieving the most puzzling information EVER , I continue east along the route, facing off against as many trainers as possible, training Luna and Sevvy along the way. When I come to alcove with a sign indicating what route they are in, I see a dangerous sight, a wild Absol. I sent out Luna and told her to Tackle the Absol, she smashes into the Disaster Pokemon. I hurl a pokeball at Absol and catch it. I call my female Absol Ravina. With Ravina joining Luna and Sevvy I heal and enter Mt Moon.

TEAM IN SPOILER
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm cutting down on what I write so I can complete quicker :).
    Part 4: THE CAVE
    -In the Pokemon Center a dude offers me a Magikarp for money !!! Hells NO!!!
    -Walk into Mt Moon and see a bunch of kids!! Pfft easy training for Ravina.
    -When I go down a floor I see a man in a black costume with a hat. Ravina, despite being battered by wild pokemon and other trainers, insisted on battling and refused to go back in her ball. *PERSONALITY RULE: Ravina must always start battles against HIM, Team Rocket, Gym Leaders and the Elite 4.She cannot return to her ball untill she has defeated a Pokemon or she faints*. She fainted quickly, so Luna came in and clean him out.
    -I continue to clear out Mt Moon, picking up items, defeating trainers, wild Pokemon and Rockets alike. This is untill I find two fossils. The Pokedollar signs light up in my eyes. I head toward them and am abushed by some Scientist. After a brief battle , which I won, he let me take a fossil. I take the Dome fossil and leave Mt Moon far behind.

TEAM REPORT

Spoiler:

Part 5: To BILL !
    -After leaving Mt Moon I see two Karate dudes arguing. Realising they are stronger then me I tiptoe by and arrive in Cerulean City.
    -I heal my pokemon and head to a bridge to the north. Oh no ! HE IS HERE !! Ravina jumps straight out of her Pokeball, taunts his Pigeotto, then attacks with Razor Wind. I then let Luna finish up his team. Then HE (!!!) gives me a fame checker, calling me a 'Chatty Gossip'! That biyatch !!!!
    -I then proceed across the bridge, beating the trainers along the way. At the end was another Rocket Grunt. Before I had a chance of doing anything , Ravina had decimate his two pokemon.
    -I look at the edge of the lake. I see a Slowpoke, fishing with its tail ! I need to catch this before it evolves. I tell Luna to Stomp on the Slowpokes head. I throw a pokeball at the stunned Slowpoke. I catch her and called her Lavender.
    -I go off to the east and start to battle a trainer. I send out Lavender and tell her to Tackle the opponents Machop. She refuses and instead Yawns the Machop to sleep *PERSONALITY RULE: Must use a non offensive first, before attacking*.
    -I continue to the east , winning a number of trainer battles. I then get to a small cottage. I enter and see a Clefairy. Which spoke to me. So I punched it :). It stirred, explained that it was Bill, got mixed up in an experiment (SICKO!!!), asked me to fix it. I didn't want to, but he threatened to combine me with a Wobbuffet, so I went with it. After the reconversion he gave me the SS Anne Ticket *Insert I'm on a Boat reference*. On my way out I see Bill skipping in circles singing to himself. I think I'll stay away from here.
    -I head back across the bridge to start the Water Gym, lead by a Lady called Misty. I battled against her two Gym Trainers, healed and went to face the lady herself.
    -Misty sent her Staryu out, I sent out Ravina. I had her taunt the Star Pokemon, then I used Razor Wind. Staryu was unable to battle. Starmie then came out and Water Pulse Ravina, Lavander and Sevvy into Submission. Only Luna was left, she galloped towards Starmie, tackled it to the ground and Stomped on its Jewel. I claimed my 2nd Badge and the Water Pulse tm.

TEAM REPORT

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Name: Nick
    Game: Heartgold
    Pokemon:Relicanth, Omastar, Kabutops, Swalot, Armaldo, Aerodactyl, Banette, Zangoose, Cacturne, Altaria, Grumpig, Abomasnow, Glalie, Walrein, Kangaskhan, Ursarang, Mismagius, Ledian, Ariados, Spiritomb, Politoed, Cloyster, Arcanine, Electivire, Magmortar, Mismagius, Lanturn, Espeon, and Lopunny.
    Requirements: At least one water type.

Take Relicanth, Mismagius, Ursaring, Arcanine, Swalot and Altaria. Enjoy! Sorry it took so long to post you a team - it seems your post got skipped over :( hope you're still gonna do the challenge.

This team is fine, but I can evolve Zigzagoon right?
    I'll start tomorrow, after school and all that.

Evolve away, my friend :)

Okay, so I haven't posted status updates for a while. Blame the fact that my comp broke. No problems with the hard drive, but the screen broke off, so I had to get a new one. Got everything off my old hard drive, so I'll be picking up from where I left off, soon. I'll edit when I've got a status update.

Oh, also, I'm wondering how I put in the little challenge bar in my sig?

On the first post, right click on the userbar you want, then go to "Copy image URL". Then when you're editing your sig, click the "insert image" button - it looks like a little landscape with a grey mountain and moon on a yellow background. Paste in the URL you copied, and voila!

Thanks for all the updates guys - I've basically been AWOL from these boards for months now, but glad to see you're keeping the thread alive :)

Years
  • -Beat Rocket Grunt, got Dig TM
    -Arrived in Vermillion City.
    -Caught Tropius (Hagrid) *PERSONALITY RULE* Must be first party member in Caves
    -Caught Dunsparce (Ron) *PERSONALITY RULE* Must always use Sp Attacks when possible
    -Trained in Route 11, to east of Vermillion
    -Trained on SS Anne
    -Defeated HIM using Ravina (Pidgeotto,Raticate and Kadabra) and Ron(Charmeleon)
    -Got HM01 Cut.
    -Did Diggletts Cave, got Old Amber
    -Sevvy Evolved Into Arbok
    -Defeated Lt Surge using Ravina

TEAM REPORT

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back