• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Perfect aint' Perfect? - Game Design Observation

Years
  • Folks who read my obscure games post know I go on spiels too much; though this topic was made just to make an observation and see if anyone else has felt the same way about certain games.

To start or to ask, does anyone think that any of the newer games from any platform, whether they be on the Xbox, PS4 or PS5 or even good old fashion PC; any game that has perfected something becomes too boring to play?

I sort of have 1 if not 2 examples of just the game's I have somewhat of an observation that I have given some notice. Well, games as a gamer that I either cringe at the though of playing with or don't feel like playing anymore because they just got somewhat boring.

Ratchet & Clank 2016.

If you've played the iconic duo until the game Disk's have scratches from over use over the laser of you still functioning PS2 and backwards compatible PS3 with the trilogy remaster for that same console AND for the PS vita until the contacts on the latter cartridge has bent outta shape from how OFTEN I've played the classic's of the two; you could call me a nerd or geek for the two. The reviewers and folks among all the games keep complaining that in the older titles, aliens and creatures feel more like bullet sponges when the difficulty is upped and they found it a bore to just blow things up for the sake of blowing sh*t up.

The first game, I have to strongly disagree with as combat felt more like a puzzle where you needed to use your weapons and gadget's to your advantage in a wide variety of situations. When it comes to Deadlocked, Up Your Arsenal and Going Commando; I do agree with them to certain 'extents' as the bullet sponge was never really a big problem for me as I found it all entertaining all the same as the game went from it's roots wehre you had to think before you approached a fight to just being a twitchy run and gun... Which, all the same, I still enjoyed playing; especially the insomniac museums where the museums in the PS2 Era we're actually fun to locate and enjoy with the different cut content they shoved onto the game disk to be looked over and enjoyed.

THEN when we arrive at the 2016 copy of R & C, the enemies have the right about of hit points where they don't feel like bullet sponges, the character's are on par for an HD textured game, jumping feels right, fighting feels spot on and right everything feels about as perfect as it can get with the exception of the story... Ratchet's motivation to leave Veldin was terrible and Hollywood shoe-horning in him wanting to be a Space Ranger didn't really play to his character.... and after I 100% the thing, I dumped it to the side of the road and started playing the PS2 copies again, followed by the PS3 games, especially the Co-Op focused one where I can't find 3 other players on the PS3 to help me finish it. The 2016 became the most boring version of R & C and kinda felt like a total let down. I still haven't touch or played the thing since, especially since the museum was also a let down; as the previous ones included cut content and insane ideas that while not fleshed out, we're there for the player to fool around with and enjoy.

Kingdom Heart's 3
    This one feels too easy and If you haven't played it yet; just read this much as I want to spare you and your wallet from this terrible entry.

There's no coliseum, Combat is more flashy and lights + slot machine tactic's. Disney want's you to go to Disney World based on the New RIDE summons to try and entice you to spend a $3k vacation package to just GO there. Flow Motion implementation, while interesting and fleshed out in the 3DS is terrible in this installment and breaks up t he action and Traversal... In fact, the whole game feels like an annoying Youtube ad that won't go away...

At least in the first Kingdom Hearts, you had to strategize your combat and who to take out or fight and what to use, etc. Kingdom Hearts 2 felt like it was aiming to be more flashier, but kept SOME elements from the first.... Everything else approaching KH 3 was a disappointment.

Though I think I'm getting off topic.
    Does anyone have a game that should technically be PERFECT or UP TO DATE in terms of mechanics and what not t hat you didn't want to play it anymore after 15 minutes in?... Or play it again after beating it?

Years
  • I've heard a few complaints about KH3 but unfortunately haven't played myself to judge. Sometimes I do feel like newer installments in certain game series focus a lot on graphics/appearance and (consciously or unconsciously) not enough on gameplay/content. Animal Crossing New Horizons comes to mind - gorgeous game in almost every way, but the content really suffered for it. Updates have slowed down a lot too and at this rate it doesn't seem like we'll ever get as much content/most of the old things brought back from New Leaf at all. :( For people who don't mind a downgrade in appearance quality then I definitely think New Leaf is the way to go over New Horizons, at least until we (hopefully) get more substantial things to do.

Years
  • I've heard a few complaints about KH3 but unfortunately haven't played myself to judge. Sometimes I do feel like newer installments in certain game series focus a lot on graphics/appearance and (consciously or unconsciously) not enough on gameplay/content. Animal Crossing New Horizons comes to mind - gorgeous game in almost every way, but the content really suffered for it. Updates have slowed down a lot too and at this rate it doesn't seem like we'll ever get as much content/most of the old things brought back from New Leaf at all. :( For people who don't mind a downgrade in appearance quality then I definitely think New Leaf is the way to go over New Horizons, at least until we (hopefully) get more substantial things to do.

Eh, ducking off what I intended the topic for; I do agree with the lack of content and the slow progress of updates. If anything, the game kinda feels like a waitress in the USA.

In game development, folks are burning their own time with a budget and time table to get a game out. If they've been working on a game since... 2016 as an example and publish what they have now, either they make back what they spent on it or gain nothing as games are on of the few mediums that require a metric SH*T TON of planning and you can't keep it up at a constant; sooner or later, there's gotta be a breaking point to just stop to back away from the abyss. Thus I can accept games having the little content they have somewhat today and the lack of updates to a certain extent...

On the flipside.

It's now an industry that has exploded where tech companies have to fight for the hard earned dollar. Nintendo fight's for it by publishing everything from their back catalogue with a few adjustment's to work on the current platform while mixing in new title's while destroying the fan base or killing it's own community for showing some support through fan game's, hacks and mods. The original Project M being a prime example. Sony works for our dollar by publishing foreign games from Japan elsewhere and sticking to where the winds blow at the 'social' intelligence level of things. Microsoft works for our hard earned cash with Halo.

At the end of the day, all 3 giant's are trying to support themselves on tower's crafted from memory foam, cardboard, scotch tape and Elmer's glue. They need to get games out the door and published as quickly as possible as they can no longer support themselves with on long development times under their own weight...

...Well, that's just my plain opinion; I'm open to be proven wrong if there's a good counter arguement that doesn't over analyze the whole situation.

I have some knowledge how to code; if I could find a team of folks passionate about putting 1 project together, we could set it up with plenty of content and allow a modding expansion for players to add their own gear like Scrap Mechanic; though keep it low res like a PS2 game or N64 title. There are folks who still love Low-Poly games and there is a market for games on older consoles; Watermelon games proved that before they went out of business over internal disputes. It just needs the right marketing.

Years
    • Online now
    I'm going through 100% completion on Red Dead Redemption 2 and while the game is fine in every way mechanically, it feels like they deliberately made 100% tedious.

There's a challenge required for 100% called 'gambler' which requires winning 3 games of blackjack after pressing "hit" 3 times. Anybody familiar with this card game would know how awful this sounds.

It's pretty much the only game i've played for the last month, and as tempted as I am for quitting, i've sunk too much time already. I just hit 52%.

Back