• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kyledove Sinnoh Tileset For RMXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
    Hi, I'm Lord Wolfybob and I'm making my new game, Pokemon Chronicles: The Seventh Sea using RMXP and Poccil's Starter kit. I'm making the game all on my own and so was wondering if there's either a public tileset for RMXP with all of Kyledove's Sinnoh Tiles in it or if someone's got one and could I use it.
    I would do it myself but as I said I have to do everything in the game myself and so simply don't have enough time.

If you are willing to share your tileset, you'll recieve a part in my game as thanks.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Well, you're not making the game all on your own, are you? You're using the starter kit and Kyledove's tilesets so the majority of the game is done for you. But anyway.

Here is Kyledove's tileset.

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Lord Wolfybob,
    I'm sorry but... I have to say this....
    You actually pissed me off with 2 comments in your post. I'm pretty sure any member of this forum will know what I'm lines I'm talking about, but I just think you shouldn't play on the whole "I'm doing ALL this on my own".... Poor you!

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    I was gonna come bite his head off, but I see you guys already did it. Also, Dawson, I understand your frustration with the way this forum has gone, but being a Debbie Downer all the time won't solve anything.

I want to point out that having been provided with such a system as Pokémon Essentials with which to create your game so easily, it is incredibly, incredibly lazy to request a tileset you could easily put together yourself. Instead, you chose to make an entire thread about it, when there is a "Help and Requests" thread.

Also, if you'd like to further make your game irrelevant, using Kyledove's tiles is Step #1. No offense meant to Kyledove there; I think his work is great. But so far, your project is just like every other one posted, with no real work or original content, just a screenshot with his tiles, in a map you made in a few minutes.

Waudby

Personally I've always found that Kyle's public tiles are lacking in variety, there's not enough to make a game without repeatedly using the same buildings over and over.

Here's a tip, try creating some of your own tiles on top of that to prove that you really are doing something by yourself.

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
    Dawson and Destined, thanks for the tilesets, I'll be sure to credit you and also do either of you want the part ingame? PM me if you do.

Neo_dragon and Blue Guy, I understand what you're saying and I'm sorry. Both for saying I'm doing it all on my own when obviously not and for wasting a few of your precious minutes which it took to come down here and kick me around a bit ^_^ But other than that, I requested the tilesets because I'm working on the characters and stor right now.
    Also, concerning Kyledove's tiles, the reason so many people are using them is because they are simply the best there are and look great. I will be adding alot of my own tiles into the game in Kyledove's style.

EDIT: Waudby, I didn't see your post, yeah, as I said above, I will be making some of my own tiles to go with Kyledove's and thanks for having a more reasonable manner to your post.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    I didn't know that there was a RPGXP formatted version of Kyledove's tile set. I have made it myself from the images he released. I agree with Waudby that, while they are excellent, they are also lacking in diversity and I have added to the sets he released including different roofs, adding the lower (blue) section of the Pokecenters and a couple of other things. Destined - Thanks for the link to the Autotiles.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Dawson and Destined, thanks for the tilesets, I'll be sure to credit you and also do either of you want the part ingame? PM me if you do.

Neo_dragon and Blue Guy, I understand what you're saying and I'm sorry. Both for saying I'm doing it all on my own when obviously not and for wasting a few of your precious minutes which it took to come down here and kick me around a bit ^_^ But other than that, I requested the tilesets because I'm working on the characters and stor right now.
    Also, concerning Kyledove's tiles, the reason so many people are using them is because they are simply the best there are and look great. I will be adding alot of my own tiles into the game in Kyledove's style.

EDIT: Waudby, I didn't see your post, yeah, as I said above, I will be making some of my own tiles to go with Kyledove's and thanks for having a more reasonable manner to your post.
    No need to credit me for giving you a link to someone else's work, dude.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years

Alistair's and Saurav's tiles are just as good. So are Wichu's. People only prefer Kyledove because his tiles are based on D/P.

Waudby

Alistair's and Saurav's tiles are just as good. So are Wichu's. People only prefer Kyledove because his tiles are based on D/P.

Also Kyledove has built up has reputation for a long time, his tiles are good, but I personally do not think that the D/P ones are his best to date. His newer tiles for the MMORPG are much better.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    But unlike Kyledove's, mine aren't public.

It really doesn't matter whether your tiles are public or not. Even if you made them public, maybe only one or two game developers would use them and everyone else would go for the Kyledove tiles. Why? Because Kyledove's tiles are D/P-based. It's like how instead of considering the huge size disparities between Pokémon Essentials and D/P battler sprites, people will use the badly resized D/P battlers just because they're D/P.

Face it: people will automatically assume that the latest thing is always the best, and that every time something new comes along, it completely invalidates any of the old stuff to the point where the new stuff is "perfect" and the old stuff is "stupid and unoriginal." In fact, using the Kyledove tiles is the most unoriginal thing in game development.

Honestly, is it that bad to use anything but the Kyledove tiles? What if you use Alistair's and Saurav's public tiles? You can even make really nice looking maps using nothing but default tiles, like this one made by shinylugia249:
    Kyledove Sinnoh Tileset For RMXP?

Also, has anyone noticed that NO ONE uses Alistair's and Saurav's public tiles anymore? Why? Because Kyledove has D/P tiles!

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Yeah it is very rare.

The reason kyledoves tiles in particular are so popular is because they are 2D representations of the tiles used in D/P/Pt. Everyone wants to have tiles like those games and kyle's are them for fan games and hacks.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    Yeah it is very rare.

The reason kyledoves tiles in particular are so popular is because they are 2D representations of the tiles used in D/P/Pt. Everyone wants to have tiles like those games and kyle's are them for fan games and hacks.

Yeah, and those people are the ones perpetuating the dogma that everything is "better" if it's converted to look like D/P.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    On launch, Diamond and Pearl was the fastest selling Pokemon game ever, so I can see why fan game developers and hackers want to recreate a similar look. Plus, why use tiles that are years old?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    On launch, Diamond and Pearl was the fastest selling Pokemon game ever, so I can see why fan game developers and hackers want to recreate a similar look. Plus, why use tiles that are years old?

And why not? Developers on rm2k used SoM chipsets for years (and still do). And yet, SoM is...well, I don't know exactly, but about 20 years old. Using the new tiles, that's just...fad. Fashion. I use (for now) trees and grass from Kyle's tileset, but only 'cause the originals, desaturated, are...meh. Those make the job, so I use them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back