• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kyledove Sinnoh Tileset For RMXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    On launch, Diamond and Pearl was the fastest selling Pokemon game ever, so I can see why fan game developers and hackers want to recreate a similar look. Plus, why use tiles that are years old?

Because newer is not always better. Why do people still use Windows XP even though you can get Vista? Why do people keep updating Pokémon Essentials on RMXP instead of making one for RMVX?

If the next handheld Pokémon game is 100% 3-D, people will still take screenshots of them and call them "the latest and greatest Pokémon sprites."

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2024
    I don't believe its better only cos it's new, but it does make a difference. I think the main reason people use them is because they get a chance to map out their own Sinnoh maps? It's fresh and exciting, you can re-map something like oreburgh and make it a city, or just mess around with nintendo's maps. Of course, most people just tend to copy the official maps.

I admit my sinnoh tiles aren't the best, and my private tiles are better but this is thanks to everything I've learnt whilst making the sinnoh tiles. I still believe you could make original games with my sinnoh tiles though. Tiles aren't the only things that make a game, maps are important too. Your game looking good and original isnt solely dependent on the tiles, the maps matter just as much. You can make a great looking game with bad tiles and amazing maps.

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
    Hear, Hear!
    Well said Kyledove.

This thread has kinda evolved from what it was originally, I was just asking for tiles and now it's turned into a debate on which tiles are the best and why. I'm not complaining or anything, it's quite interesting listening to all this.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Face it: people will automatically assume that the latest thing is always the best, and that every time something new comes along, it completely invalidates any of the old stuff to the point where the new stuff is "perfect" and the old stuff is "stupid and unoriginal." In fact, using the Kyledove tiles is the most unoriginal thing in game development.
    This community has always been that way. When I first started dabbling in Pokémon fangames, Ruby and Sapphire graphics were the norm. Then, no sooner had Fire Red and Leaf Green been released, everybody instantly converted to them, because they looked better than the previous games.

And now everybody uses Kyle's tileset because it's basically like using ripped tiles from Diamond and Pearl. People don't seem to like to stand out and be different. Nobody wants to make a fan game inspired by the Pokémon games, they just want to replicate them instead.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    People don't seem to like to stand out and be different. Nobody wants to make a fan game inspired by the Pokémon games, they just want to replicate them instead.

I think you should say the "majority" of people.
    I can name a handful off the top of my head man that are trying, but the forum is so bloated with un-inspired games that I see where you made that typo :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    I think you should say the "majority" of people.
    I can name a handful off the top of my head man that are trying, but the forum is so bloated with un-inspired games that I see where you made that typo :P
    Can you name us a few lol. But I totally agree. Why remake something people have already played? gimme something new to eat and I'll tell u how it tastes not gimme some of that because the last time it was ok lol. no but really name us a few .

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    This community has always been that way. When I first started dabbling in Pokémon fangames, Ruby and Sapphire graphics were the norm. Then, no sooner had Fire Red and Leaf Green been released, everybody instantly converted to them, because they looked better than the previous games.

And now everybody uses Kyle's tileset because it's basically like using ripped tiles from Diamond and Pearl. People don't seem to like to stand out and be different. Nobody wants to make a fan game inspired by the Pokémon games, they just want to replicate them instead.

I was really young back then, and I just found out about Pokémon Essentials, but I definitely recall those changes going on. Some people are STILL under the mentality that anything in R/S is automatically inferior to anything in FR/LG. For some people, this includes Pokémon battler sprites, even when you consider that only a fraction of the original 151 were reposed and the rest were kept exactly the same as their R/S counterparts.

I don't know about you, but I actually enjoyed my Sapphire and Emerald a lot more than my Leaf Green. There's something mystical about the Hoenn region. Sure, it doesn't have the nostalgic feeling of Johto, but it's still an amazing place I'd like to revisit in a future Pokémon game. Kanto is way overdone, and adding flashier graphics, music that makes your ears bleed, and the totally unnecessary Sevii Islands just makes things that much worse.

Nintendo's next handheld Version format will likely be a Johto remake with D/P graphics. I shudder at the thought of all the many ways this will kill the fangame community, destroying any semblance of originality left in the vast majority of the populace.

val

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Hey does anyone know if kyledove has any lava autotiles or tilesets of hg/ss's jhoto cause i really need some

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
    Google it next time. There is little need to revive this rather outdated topic.

As for an answer now, no he does not have any lava tiles I know of, and for HGSS tiles check Deviant Art or the pixel art section here on the forums.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back