• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider crying as a weakness or strength?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This was discussed last night and... it's an interesting question. Basically, do you think a person is showing strength through tears or weakness?

It depends on the situation - in most cases, I'd consider the person to be more vulnurable (spelling? idk) when crying, because their emotions and thoughts are worn down. But... in a lot of cases, it can really be a strength and can build one up.

Diglett

Ice cream snow
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    It's kind of even. Crying can be a sign of vulnerability, however, it can also be a something along the lines of "I cry, so does everyone else, I'm not afraid to admit it".

Idk, that's just my view on it. Interesting subject, though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It implies emotional instability or buildup and release in adults, thus a weakness. I don't laugh at people who cry though, I cry like anyone else, it's just a way of releasing tension, sadness or whatever; it simply makes apparent some kind of falliable mental integrity, which almost all humans have so it's rather people that cry a lot than ones that cry at all that are 'weak'.

In young children it's just a natural reaction to reception of pain in order to gain others' attention, although it may be useful (though in modern times unfunctional and annoying) it doesn't boost one's reactions or anything.

Last edited:

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
  • An interesting question.
    It implies emotional instability or buildup and release in adults, thus a weakness. I don't laugh at people who cry though, I cry like anyone else, it's just a way of releasing tension, sadness or whatever; it simply makes apparent some kind of falliable mental integrity, which almost all humans have so it's rather people that cry a lot than ones that cry at all that are 'weak'.

In young children it's just a natural reaction to reception of pain in order to gain others' attention, although it may be useful (though in modern times unfunctional and annoying) it doesn't boost one's reactions or anything.

I agree to some extent that crying is a weakness, though I could also see crying as a way to obtain strength.
    Yes, I fully agree that most young children cry just so they gain others' attention, but in the case of adults, when one is releasing emotion, tension or sadness through tears, it also builds one's strength in some way, because you lessen the weight and burden that you carry, you get stronger, thus showing strength.
    It's just my viewpoint of it, though, so I could most likely be wrong.

I cry when I need to, because it's human to do so.

Reactions: Cid

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • I see it as a weakness but also as a strength seeing as it proves that you do have a heart inside no matter how heartless you claim to be. (I found this out through experience >.>)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I consider it a strength. If a male cannot give a damn if people think he is a wuss or a pussy and cry freely if upset then that man is a man of honor or something.

Vie

Years
  • I think crying is a sign of too much things at once. Its not weakness and not strength.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • I think it depends on the situation and what the circumstances that made you cry were. =/ You can be moved by something, which shows you have a heart, or you can be crying out of sheer happiness. Then there're the not-so-nice things, but c'mon, there's only a certain amount of crap people can take without reacting to it. D; Also, I think it differs between males and females. Females are expected to cry more.

So in answer to le question, I don't think it is a sign of weakness.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    It's kind of even. Crying can be a sign of vulnerability, however, it can also be a something along the lines of "I cry, so does everyone else, I'm not afraid to admit it".

Yeah, I agree with what this guy's said :)

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Personally, I think it shows weakness. It means someone has lost control of their emotions.
    Which is why I don't cry. The only thing I loose control of is my anger.
    I'm generally known as the tough guy who, when he's sad, gets angry or goes into shock and stares into space. I wish I wasn't though, everyone expects me to fight for them.
    I don't hold my tears back, I just never feel the need to cry, my body just doesn't let me.

But I guess, depending on the situation, it could mean strength.

Reactions: Cid

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I consider it a weakness, personally. I hate when people see me cry. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. :( I refuse to take certain medication because it brings on depression and I hate that because I cry so much more often fffff. Oddly enough, I have no problem crying over a video game ending or something (lol what) but for decent reasons... augh, I just hate it and won't cry. :/ The only time I can think of that I've cried over something not fandom related (idk why anime/movies/tv shows/games turn me into a wibbling wuss XD) in the last year was health-related. So like... severe pain, etc. :|

I know it's good to let it all out every so often but instead it just feels like I've lost control and I dislike that feeling more than almost anything. Also if you're crying in public it just makes the atmosphere *so* awkward. XD I don't wish that on anyone.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • It's weakness... by showing your emotions you show that ya can't control 'em

what is this i dont even

Anyway, I hardly see crying as a weakness at all. People sometimes have to let out their emotions, and crying is one of the best ways to do so. Besides, people can't control when they cry or not. Crying is really a way to communicate, in my opinion. People know when someone's upset when they're crying, and then that person decides to help the upset person.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Well i think when you cry you're really letting your inner emotions show. i mean if you were playing poker or something it wouldn't be good but out on the street or with friends and family i neither consider it to be a strength nor weakness, all you're doing is expressing your feelings. It's a trait more than anything. You don't cry to win arguements or anything like that. Though crying is a good defence, if you're under any sort of threat you can cry and you'll be in your own little world where no one can hurt you but really how often does that situation arise?
    So i think crying is more of a neutral personality trait rather than a strength nor weakness.

Back