• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider crying as a weakness or strength?

i'm a bubble. pop me.

What words would satisfy you?
    Years
    I kind of agree with GavZ, though i wouldn't call crying a personal trait. It's just a reaction to scary, tense etc situations. we can all cry. and i wouldn't go calling everyone i see crying a weak person. it also depends on the situation. sometimes it's good to cry - to let your emotions out so you can get over it. it's not a good idea to bottle everything inside. and it also tells ppl around us that sth is wrong so they can help us. but i guess if somebody cries too much in inapproriate situations, it could mean that their too sensitive/weak (though they could also just be a dramaqueen).
    and yeah, i guess it could also be a strenght in a way a person is confident enough to let his emotions go in front of others. but overall i don't think that we should treat crying as an indication of weakness or strenght.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Crying is neither. It is just a natural reaction from the body when excess emotional energy builds up in the body. It can be kind of a sign of weakness since it means emotional release when the body can't take it anymore.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I kind of agree with GavZ, though i wouldn't call crying a personal trait. It's just a reaction to scary, tense etc situations. we can all cry. and i wouldn't go calling everyone i see crying a weak person. it also depends on the situation. sometimes it's good to cry - to let your emotions out so you can get over it. it's not a good idea to bottle everything inside. and it also tells ppl around us that sth is wrong so they can help us. but i guess if somebody cries too much in inapproriate situations, it could mean that their too sensitive/weak (though they could also just be a dramaqueen).
    and yeah, i guess it could also be a strenght in a way a person is confident enough to let his emotions go in front of others. but overall i don't think that we should treat crying as an indication of weakness or strenght.

I know what you're saying but what i meant too say is that some people are more prone to crying, not that it is a trait full stop to cry. I didn't explain it too well. But i think it's in your personality to cry more than others but it still isn't a weakness or strength due to it being slightly a reflection on who you are and no one person is weak nor are they necessarily stronger than others. Sometimes it takes a lot more guts just to let go

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I don't see how a normal human emotion can be a strength or a weakness. It's just an emotion, everyone cries, it doesn't make you weak or strong to cry. It's saying "Is Anger a strength or weakness?" Neither. Crying is not either.

I know I am going to get some negative reputation from some moron going "I DON'T CRY!"

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
    Way back, 4-5 years ago, there was this football player named Nick Reiwoldt. He just got appointed captain of his team. In the first match of the yearhe was hit in the shoulder, and broke his collarbone, yet he played on. The other teams players deliberately hit his shoulder. He wasn't afraid to cry, not because of the pain, but because of he fact he'd miss a large part of the season and he was captain. So imma say strength.

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    It depends. If you cry to release your emotion, thats a strength, but if you cry because you cant control your emotions then its a weakness.

Years
    I see crying as just a mere thing caused by emotions that everyone has expressed once in a while. It's not a sign of weakness nor strength. Crying is actually a good way to express how you feel. When you're done, you feel better.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I see pain when someone cries, not a strength or weakness. Some can cry out of hatred and have the "strength" to control themselves enough to stop a murderer. Someone can cry out of being abused, being too "weak" to fight back. So, I'm going to say it's circumstantial and neither, if that makes sense. (it's just... hard to describe my opinion on this topic)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Depends on the situation...But I can't really see crying as a display of strength. It's just the expression of strong emotion, it doesn't necessarily have to show weakness or strength.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    It's neither a weakness or a strength. It's just a natural thing that only humans can experience.​

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    It implies emotional instability or buildup and release in adults, thus a weakness. I don't laugh at people who cry though, I cry like anyone else, it's just a way of releasing tension, sadness or whatever; it simply makes apparent some kind of falliable mental integrity, which almost all humans have so it's rather people that cry a lot than ones that cry at all that are 'weak'.

In young children it's just a natural reaction to reception of pain in order to gain others' attention, although it may be useful (though in modern times unfunctional and annoying) it doesn't boost one's reactions or anything.
    I totally agree here with you. Most times I cry though have to be stress or something else.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    It's neither. I mean, everyone has different ways of dealing with their emotions. Just because one person might cry more than others, doesn't make that person weaker.

...I've never cried in my entire life, btw.

Years
    I think it is a weakness, if there isn't a highly emotional reason for it.
    Like a loss of a friend or family member.

I haven't cried in a long time, since I was 14.
    Not trying to look like a big boy, but I have delt with the emotions of life and handled them, even if it means punching something hard. Haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    It all depends on the situation.
    If you cry in the public for a small reason, it's not weakness, but becoming vulnerable to others.
    If you cry because you got hurt, it's stupid and a sign of weakness.
    If you cry to make yourself feel better, it's a sign of strength.
    If you cry because someone insulted you, then it'll make you vulnerable only - neither a strength or a weakness.
    If you cry because you're deeply hurt in your feelings, it is a sign of strength and honour.

There's more to the variations, but I'll stop here.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Sometimes you just have to cry. >: I spent 6 months of my junior year having anxiety attacks because of something that happened and all my friends abandoned me, so...after awhile, it just got to me and I cried. It really helped to let it go finally. But I think that's the last time I've seriously cried. D:

So, it's a strength. But it can be a weakness when you cry over little things. Like they say, "Don't cry over spilled milk," if that technically can apply. XD

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Depends really. If someone's crying at a loss or they're in excruciating pain then it's quite understandable. If they're crying over something trivial then I think 'wtf' =/

Back