• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Calling Out All Developers/Programmers

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm the type who'll be properly into a project for maybe a couple of weeks, then I'll suddenly think of another project and get into that instead. After a few cycles I may get back to my Pokémon game, or maybe I'll go into the Wikia project instead, or writing, or my Yu-Gi-Oh! project, or...

It's mainly just luck when I get into something. I do lose motivation when I come across something I can't figure out, or which will take forever to set up.

A good bit of motivation I can conjure up is to consider just one aspect of whatever I'm into, and keep thinking about it and thinking about it and developing it in my mind until I can practically see exactly what I need to do, then I get the desire to see it working. And that's (hopefully) when I sit down and actually do something.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Hell yea, I fixed my map... now time for the player... LOL it took me several hours to just put my map... Yea I always had trouble with tiling. You dont know whats wrong, if your map is not loading or its the drawing it self... Just lots of things can go wrong

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Maybe that for your project. Not for Protectors though :P

I Hate when people do this, it doesnt matter if its serious or not. Its immature and annoying. To boost your game at the cost of others. Attack others self esteem and quite frankly insult a fellow hobbyist...

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I Hate when people do this, it doesnt matter if its serious or not. Its immature and annoying. To boost your game at the cost of others. Attack others self esteem and quite frankly insult a fellow hobbyist...

I think there are some things that are being overlooked overall in this topic.

1. There is really so many factors to game, making one from scratch might seem like a solid choice, and is often more rounded, but making a game takes time, and lots of it. using starter kits does not make a game less than any other game in any sense. What brings a starter kit full circle is the additional coding used to create consistency.

2. Neo, joking or not, has every right to state what he stated, it isn't rude, it is merely a fact. He has proven that he has put more into his work than almost everyone else in this section. The level of progression his game has made from the start stretches beyond almost every game in this section. And to down talk his statement essentially bashing his work is practically begging for Neo's remark.

3. The problem this section has, is that almost everyone here is a hobby junkie, and this is a hobby. To actually make a game requires it to be more than merely a hobby, that is why there are so many distasteful games here (not trying to be rude), and why there are so many games that are failed.

Back on topic:

I draw my motivation fro my own creativity and boredom, for without it I have no desire to do anything.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Firstly, do you find programming fun? Enjoyment is a large part of motivation.

Secondly, seeing your code come to life should be a huge boost. Did creating a working map system not motivate you at all?

Finally, as has been said, do not force yourself to work on it. If you don't feel like it, don't work on it; you're not going to achieve anything in that state of mind anyway. Take a break, and come back to it when you're ready.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • LOL You say ten, I'll say 5.....

You see once again people misunderstood my intententions when stating this, so i'll make it clear... I MENT NO ONE IS GONNA CARE FOR ANY GAME LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES. And im the one being immature, you see and read what you want. You come at me in a visitor message and you dont fully understand the message.

2. Neo, joking or not, has every right to state what he stated, it isn't rude, it is merely a fact. He has proven that he has put more into his work than almost everyone else in this section. The level of progression his game has made from the start stretches beyond almost every game in this section. And to down talk his statement essentially bashing his work is practically begging for Neo's remark.

It doesn't matter if he put years into it, its just not right to insult others. I never bashed his work, I simply stated no one is gonna care bout an unfinished project for too long, its you people who started the bashing:

Maybe that for your project. Not for Protectors though :P

I didnt mention a single project, I was commenting on your post. You started the bashing. No1 product is better than another unless its complete, cause in my mind if you have a great looking unfinished product and someone else hase a completed not as good project, the completed project is better. A project is never awesome till its complete. Must I always explain myself in such detail?

OH FYI: My first comment was a joke!!!

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Im going to try something different, Im going to use OpenGL + SDL and make 2.5D game, some 2D and some 3D all in one like the DS versions... Yea the main reason is that Im too damn lazy to make sprites for it facing like 8 directions... making it fave 1 direction was hard enough, Im a programmer not an artist so...

thats my problem too, I try do different stuff too much, not just stick to one, thats good but I end up starting over again... At least I didnt get much done this time

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Use GM if you don't want a hard time XD, 3D is rather simple with it, and using sprites in a 3D world is WAY easy!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • @KingCharizard. You seem very upset by what I said. You posted a reply about twice.
    So I want to publicly say, if I upset you well then I'm sorry. I didn't think you would take that comment as you did. You said your comment was a joke. So was mine...

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Use GM if you don't want a hard time XD, 3D is rather simple with it, and using sprites in a 3D world is WAY easy!
    Yea but its pretty buggy, I did it in 6th grade, Im not going back to it ever again

Back