• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Calling Out All Developers/Programmers

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    How do you guys get motivated to do your project? Honestly Im kinda burnt out right now, I only put in the image loading function in my project... That took less than 5 minutes, but it took me 1 day to actually open up my project type SOMETHING in... Damn... Im not very motivated here guys... Its not I dont know what Im doing or how to do it, just lack the motivation...

The Dewitty

Pixel artist, professional leo
    Years
  • If you're not motivated, just don't start at it. Very simple. Try it again when you have the motivation.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Force yourself on it ;]. As soon as you make a thread at the plot/story section, you will get a motivation boost since people will be commenting on your ideas.

EDIT: Getting someone to share your ideas and progress ( a co-worker for example =]) will make you more motivated as well.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Its too bad I HAVE to do it for a AP Comp Sci class due near july I think

edit: Im doing in C++ so I have to TYPE every single line, can get real boring soon after a couple hundred lines...

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Im just doing it from scratch, I dont like programs that do half the stuff for me. I like challenges

Now that's a good attitude towards development. I really think that the whole personal satisfaction of achieving your set goals and overcoming your challenges, should be the main motivator for you. If you are doing it for your personal satisfaction and get that joy out of it, I see no reason why you shouldn't be motivated.

Another good motivator for you could be competition. Look what other people have to offer, look at their ideas, and then compete with them. Try to create something people haven't seen before and something that will set you apart from the crowd.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • i agree with ~JV~ and Dew don't do anything till you feel in a right way to do it and don't force your self when making these things or it won't turn out as planned i know im a owner of a site and i only do things when im in a certain mood

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    The only reasons Im making the game is
    1. Class
    2. Practice for real life (I want to major in Comp Sci in college and become a Software Engineer)
    3. I got to practice meeting deadlines

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • The only reasons Im making the game is
    1. Class
    2. Practice for real life (I want to major in Comp Sci in college and become a Software Engineer)
    3. I got to practice meeting deadlines

Here's a tip. When you love what you do you'll complete your assigned task well before your supposed to(Unless the project is Massive).
    And as for a future thats a good choice. Im curious are you able to picture software in your head and make it come to life? Cause that is a plus for any programmer well anyways good luck with your plans...

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Here's a tip. When you love what you do you'll complete your assigned task well before your supposed to(Unless the project is Massive).
    And as for a future thats a good choice. Im curious are you able to picture software in your head and make it come to life? Cause that is a plus for any programmer well anyways good luck with your plans...
    Yea it happens all the time, I some times critique how the developer handles files, like one game can use a Package of files in 1 encrypted file or have all the data hanging around. Or how they handle sprites, use one default generic body for the player and overlay that with different clothes. Or do you mean how it works internally, I can some how picture certain things but not for everything.. It just comes with practice I guess, I know more than I knew last year, I will know more next year than this year

KingCharizard

Years
  • Yea it happens all the time, I some times critique how the developer handles files, like one game can use a Package of files in 1 encrypted file or have all the data hanging around. Or how they handle sprites, use one default generic body for the player and overlay that with different clothes. Or do you mean how it works internally, I can some how picture certain things but not for everything.. It just comes with practice I guess, I know more than I knew last year, I will know more next year than this year

Indeed, knowledge is power, and programming is an art. Well atleast thats what i think. Without programmers no software would have its foundation. To Bring to life a simple idea, that is what programming is...

Oh and I forgot if your truly smart you'll have trouble finding motivation. I think alot of smart people have this problem, because when logic is involved the task seems... well... pointless. I lack motivation alot sometimes barely make deadlines... I just dont get it but at times programming is a bother...

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • The biggest motivator for me is the support my game has, and has gotten throughout it's development. If I quit, I'd let a lot of people down. Granted, they would be upset for about 10 minutes, but it's still a feeling I don't wish on anyone.

KingCharizard

Years
  • The biggest motivator for me is the support my game has, and has gotten throughout it's development. If I quit, I'd let a lot of people down. Granted, they would be upset for about 10 minutes, but it's still a feeling I don't wish on anyone.

LOL You say ten, I'll say 5.... lol but yeah I believe if your gonna announce a project you should finish it. Dont make a promise you cant keep.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    With a lot of us, we don't have deadlines, so there is no stress or feel of being forced to work on it. I take my time and do it whenever I want, get an idea, or big burst of motivation.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • With a lot of us, we don't have deadlines, so there is no stress or feel of being forced to work on it. I take my time and do it whenever I want, get an idea, or big burst of motivation.

^This.

Forcing yourself to work is the worst idea you could ever have.

Working only when you feel inspired to do so will always result in a much better final product.

Back