• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

International Women's Day - how are you celebrating?

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    March 8th is International Women's Day. It recognizes all of the great achievements that women have made over the years. How are you celebrating this day?

I will perhaps donate some money to a women's aid charity. If you are a guy then I think you should buy chocolates for your female teachers or women who you admire.

I think that International Women's Day is a good thing because it highlights important social issues, and maybe one day we will be able to cast aside the shackles of oppression that keep us down. Do you agree?

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I fully support women's rights, as they should be equal to men in all of society and receive the same respect, etc.
    I'm not exactly sure I'll do something exactly to celebrate this day, but just by appreciating what women have achieved is enough. Telling a person you appreciate what they've done is more personal than buying them something to eat, in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This looks like a troll thread. ō_ō

As always, I disagree with having special days for mundane things; yes there are women in the world, there are men too, neither are remarkable yet both have international days; why I must ask, should we exercise such redundancy...

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • March 8th is International Women's Day. It recognizes all of the great achievements that women have made over the years. How are you celebrating this day?

I will perhaps donate some money to a women's aid charity. If you are a guy then I think you should buy chocolates for your female teachers or women who you admire.

I think that International Women's Day is a good thing because it highlights important social issues, and maybe one day we will be able to cast aside the shackles of oppression that keep us down. Do you agree?

wow!! yes! girls/ladies/women actually are getting appreaciated for something in their lifes!!XD um so wheres my chocolate? :3 me like this but don't boys/gentlemen/ men have a day like 'International Men's Day' or something ??

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ya, there's technically a Intermational Men's Day. Wiki says it's to promote good health habits, as well as the exact same thing as the Women's Day, except discrimination against men instead.

Wiki also says that International Women's Day is meant to be a Valentine's Day-like occasion, but I guess it's understandable that it turned into this kind of celebration.

Personally, I'm not celebrating this. I don't mind the idea of Women's Rights, but Female Superiority is what bothers me. That and that i don't think there needs to be a holiday for each day of the year >> And school sucks.....

Years
  • Never heard of it, so I won't be doing anything. :/ Isn't that basically what Valentine's Day is..?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    All I did was watch Neighbours which made mention of it. :D And I thought it was a made up celebration too, lol.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • This whole "holiday" is a farce to me. The right thing to do (at least in my eyes) is to always judge people based on their merits. Putting someone on a pedestal because of their sex is the height of missing the point. Whether a person is a woman or not should be irrelevant; we should see someone do something good and say "that is a good person, we should follow his or her example" Celebrating someone's achievements solely because they managed them with female body parts seems like it works against the concept of equality to me.

Years
  • What's with all the "why should we treat women special?" responses? You've all got the wrong idea.

Women's achievements still get overlooked, overshadowed, and undervalued. Not always, but it still happens, more so in some countries than others. The world isn't fair and equal yet. When it is then this kind of holiday won't be necessary.

.Bullet

My Valentine
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    I still wonder why there's a need for this holiday. A person is a person, regardless. Sex is of no concern aside from relationships, but that's a different story.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • This is holiday seems unnecessary, it might look like a day for celebrating women's rights but it seems more like a pity holiday created by society. People should be praised or be recognized because of their sex, I thought we had moved on from that but this just seems to reinforce such things.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • So when is International Men's Day?

I wasn't aware International Women's Day even exsisted. Normally that's the sort of thing Google tells you about with a lovely picture.

It's a nice idea, but horribly patronising...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • What's with all the "why should we treat women special?" responses? You've all got the wrong idea.

Women's achievements still get overlooked, overshadowed, and undervalued. Not always, but it still happens, more so in some countries than others. The world isn't fair and equal yet. When it is then this kind of holiday won't be necessary.
    You are treating them special. You're singling them out because they're women, and that's counter-productive. You don't solve sexism with sexism.

Back