• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mate

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    How often do you say mate? Have you ever said it? Why/why not?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • It's... really not used here unless you're talking about animals mating. And that said, I really don't use it very often. XD;

It just sounds weird if it's not said with an accent. :(

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • I never say it because I live in a nicel ittle place called the U.S.A. where people are biased. :D Well I typed it once on Runescape for fun and giggles.

-Okami

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I use it online rather often...mostly mockingly when giving advice to newbies. But since I live in Texas and have an American accent, I never use it in spoken conversation. I do occasionally use the word "buddy" in place of where "mate" would go in the stereotypical Australian accent. XD

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Yeah, mate ;D
    I rarely say it. But it feels good :3

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I use it for animals. Humans don't have mates; we have "partners" or "significant others."

If you mean Australian slang, I use it in the regard of "chum", too.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I'm british so I say it to my mates.

Also say it llike mate if they've just said something that's just weird and wrong or yeah mate if they've just said/done something epic

Years
  • I'm another person who uses it only when referring to animals. For any other use, I honestly don't remember when was the last time I said it.

Just not part of my regular vocabulary and I don't hang around anybody who uses it like that, is all.

Years
  • The last time I used it was when I was getting Australian accent lessons from a friend, but being American it makes me think of nature programs before anything else.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I thought mate was British...

A few times, actually. D=

I'm American, but I just say it a few times to annoy my friends. Seriously. xD

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I never say "mate" unless I'm picking on some of my Aussie friends.

Otherwise I only say it when talking about animal procreation. :x

Back