• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Australia's First Female Prime Minister

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Labor MPs to vote at 9am tomorrow on who will be Prime Minister.

Pretty much, if Kevin Rudd (current male PM) loses, then Julia Gillard (female deputy) will take over, meaning we'll have our first female Prime Minister, and with an election coming up later in the year, the politics of Australia are going to get veeeery interesting.

How do you feel about this? Do you think a leadership change will be good for Australia, or should the Labor party / Federal Government stay the same?

And yes, this is BIG news for Australia.

I sort of don't have an exact source at the moment since Rudd just held his meeting and this is live - but search 'Leadership spill Kevin Rudd' or something like that soon and you should get a source.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    My father (Australian) is pretty excited about Julia Gillard. Although I've never actually heard of her before.

Anyone have any qualms against her?

Zet

Years
    If she gets in I hope to God she removes the internet filter and internet monitoring that Rudd wants in.

edit: Just read some crap article called "No anti-virus software? No internet for you". I really hope this doesn't happen as well.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Kay, it's confirmed. Julia Gillard won.

FIRST FEMALE PRIME MINISTER :DDDDD

Just was announced...so can't really link any information.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I was hoping it would be Lisa Mitchell. Maybe next time?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024
    My father (Australian) is pretty excited about Julia Gillard. Although I've never actually heard of her before.

Anyone have any qualms against her?

She's a woman.

No really. Men are better suited for leading large groups of people while women are better at leading (or manipulating) just one person, usually their spouse or mate. While there are always exceptions, this can be considered true for most people.

Julia Gillard this whole time has been running things from the back, engineering many of the ideas and policies that the party has today, which ironically enough were responsible for Kevin Rudd losing popularity. Now we just have to see how far she's thought ahead, as the smart thing to do now would be to do a quick turn around on everything Labor did under Rudd (though they were supporting him the entire time). Chances are though she'll just carry on as Rudd was.

I don't think she'll stay as PM after the upcoming election though. Australia does not seem happy about this at all and voters have been swinging away from the Labor party.

Years
    Woman are kind of bad leaders, no offense. To me, it always feels like they have to prove something, like they have to be TEH BEST OF TEH BEST, ya know?

Guess that's cause men are usually leaders...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    No really. Men are better suited for leading large groups of people while women are better at leading (or manipulating) just one person, usually their spouse or mate. While there are always exceptions, this can be considered true for most people.

I don't think she'll stay as PM after the upcoming election though. Australia does not seem happy about this at all and voters have been swinging away from the Labor party.

I really think if females were given more chances, then really they might be able to make more of a difference in leadership roles. I mean look at the govenor general, she's a female and she does a pretty good job at it.

Really, because the media this morning was saying how popular she actually is with the public - especially females, compared to Abbott. Let's not forget that Rudd, even before he stepped down, had a little bit higher approval rating (according to what I've heard) than Abbott. Because Gillard is seemingly more popular than Rudd, wouldn't this make her more popular than Abbott then? And, if she gets down to business straight away (like she has regarding the mining tax being open for discussion / negotiation), then there is a high chance that voters will actually agree soon enough that she will be a better PM than Rudd.

Plus, Abbott says... some really questionable things, while Gillard hasn't made many notable mistakes.

Also, this is only my opinion / what I've heard, so yeah.

I saw her press conference and i'd hate to have all those people taking pictures of me. It would be so damn annoying.

...Yeah I sorta noticed that too, but I guess politicians are used to that. D:

Woman are kind of bad leaders, no offense. To me, it always feels like they have to prove something, like they have to be TEH BEST OF TEH BEST, ya know?

Guess that's cause men are usually leaders...

And this is why you'll never get a wife.

Don't be so narrowminded.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Seemed relevant.

I don't live in Australia, but in NZ they were constantly bashing him, so I assume he was bad. I don't know though. Hopefully she'll do good.

Years
    And good, cause I really don't want one.

How is that narrow-minded? Almost all woman leaders, if I've done my history correctly, tries a little too hard. Not that's a bad thing, but their followers (unless they absolutely worship her or follow her every command) will call her hot-blooded.

And I've had first hand experience of women leading me/my friends.

Droidz

¬‿¬
    Years
    ^Give me an example on poor Woman leadership skills.

I honestly didn't like Kevin Rudd, he was an idiot. I'm glad Julia Gillard is the PM and if i was old enough to vote i would have voted for her.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ryo, that's a bad generalisation. Hot-blooded? Pfft yeah. Men can be too. And what the above said, too.

Also...there wasn't a vote needed for Gillard to get PM, Droidz... XD;

Droidz

¬‿¬
    Years
    Oh yeah thats right, I only found out like 1hr ago and they were short on the details, xD.

Well if they did vote i still would of voted for her.

Years
    Yes, men can be that too, but since we've been leaders for so long, almost all of us know when we are overstepping our boundaries as a leader.

Alright, I'm gonna stop talking now, for I do not want to be known as the sexiest. I have nothing against woman, just saying some are bad leaders.

Nica and all you other Australians, I hope you all have a good Prime Minister for your sakes, and hope she's not as screwed up as President Obama.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    I think this is inspiring!

I love how, recently, the tradition of white, male leader has been broken, first with Barack Obama, being the first black US president, and now Julia Gillard, Australia's first female prime minister!

Kudos to society! Society rocks!

Zet

Years
    Yes, men can be that too, but since we've been leaders for so long, almost all of us know when we are overstepping our boundaries as a leader.

Alright, I'm gonna stop talking now, for I do not want to be known as the sexiest. I have nothing against woman, just saying some are bad leaders.

Nica and all you other Australians, I hope you all have a good Prime Minister for your sakes, and hope she's not as screwed up as President Obama.

You know all those feminists and equal rights group? It's because men have back handed them soo many times in the past that they have never had the chance to become a leader because of all the "women aren't allowed to ________". I really think you should study harder next time.

Free health care? Oh noes some body get rid of Obama ;o; Seriously though, what has Obama done that has been bad for America?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It looks like another prime minister that will do unspectacularly for now. I really have no opinion of her, but I worry that she might be too similar to Kevin Rudd. And really, what's the point of electing someone who's basically the same thing?

I really think if females were given more chances, then really they might be able to make more of a difference in leadership roles. I mean look at the govenor general, she's a female and she does a pretty good job at it.

Really, because the media this morning was saying how popular she actually is with the public - especially females, compared to Abbott. Let's not forget that Rudd, even before he stepped down, had a little bit higher approval rating (according to what I've heard) than Abbott. Because Gillard is seemingly more popular than Rudd, wouldn't this make her more popular than Abbott then? And, if she gets down to business straight away (like she has regarding the mining tax being open for discussion / negotiation), then there is a high chance that voters will actually agree soon enough that she will be a better PM than Rudd.

Plus, Abbott says... some really questionable things, while Gillard hasn't made many notable mistakes.

Years
    And Obama has almost completely screwed up. Even I can see where this is going:

FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT IMPEACHED!

Also, I think women are good leaders, if they could be a bit more calm, and not so hot-blooded. They get the job done quicker, I can say that much. But....one other problem...too much emotional drama. Kids, never have a female principal unless she is in complete control of her emotions. None of you have no idea how many times I've had one, and every single time I need counseling!

This PM seems to be good. But that other guy was an idiot, like McCain.

Zet

Years
    And Obama has almost completely screwed up. Even I can see where this is going:

FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT IMPEACHED!

Also, I think women are good leaders, if they could be a bit more calm, and not so hot-blooded. They get the job done quicker, I can say that much. But....one other problem...too much emotional drama. Kids, never have a female principal unless she is in complete control of her emotions. None of you have no idea how many times I've had one, and every single time I need counseling!

This PM seems to be good. But that other guy was an idiot, like McCain.
    First of all get proof to back up your claims that female leaders aren't calm and too hot-blooded before posting, and before you were saying that they don't make good leaders so make up your mind. And I asked what Obama has done wrong and you haven't even posted what I asked for, so stop posting if you don't have anything that is worth contributing.

Back