• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Orange Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Team Orange Crew (Recruiting!)

Hack Name: Pokemon: Orange Islands (simple, but up for suggestions as too!)

Hack of: Pokemon FireRed

Finished percentage: I am mostly making sprites (custom and touching-up old ones) at this point. A world map (not used in game) is posted below to show the region and it's game flow.

Your hacking skills: This is my first hack so I am not the best, but I am aiming for this to be the best. I found my skills lie along the line of spriting more than scripting.

So I have been on this forum for a while now, usually keeping to the B/W and anime threads. After looking through the threads on hacking and such, I thought to myself why not try and make my own hack? Now for being my first hack ever, I am overshooting quite a bit on the quality I want this to be but I think that is good. The idea is based on the Orange Islands on the anime.

Now before you say "ehh, there have been people trying to this before and they're alright" or what ever, keep this in mind: I don't plan on this being like any of the other hacks.

I am planning on having the basis be on the anime, having all the islands (no matter how minor they are) that appeared and having the player go through and defeat each member of the Orange Crew and then go up against the Head Leader, Drake. The player will start out on Valencia Island having grown up there their entire life and just starting out on their journey. You go to Professor Ivy's lab where Professor Oak of Pallet Town in the Kanto region has sent over a Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle each ready for new trainers as Professor Ivy does not raise starter Pokemon. As for the rest of the plot, I don't want to give it away but it grabs inspiration from the manga while keeping to the anime as well. The Kanto Elite Four and possibly Johto Elite Four will make cameos (I don't want to go as far as Hoenn or Sinnoh Pokemon just because it should stay close to the storyline of the anime, but I am adding Johto).

Now while I am planning for this to keep along the lines of the anime for game flow, but I also want to keep loose on things somewhat and incorporate concepts and some ideas from the manga. I'm pretty good with composing music too so I may compose a full soundtrack for the entire game and release(I'm in school for music so this is a great possibility).

Now I've gone through tutorials and looked through stuff regarding scripting and I somewhat understand it but am definitely not ready to try it out. So I need someone who's willing to script (keep in mind that I am shooting for the utmost quality and detail so this will be a long-term project). I've found that my skills lie along the lines of spriting more than anything but another would be useful.

Looking for:
    Skilled Scripter (as there will be A LOT of stuff to do!)
    Mapper (I'm alright but it wouldn't hurt to have another pair of hands!)
    Tile Maker (There a lot of custom tiles [HGSS style] that need to be done and it would just speed up the process)
    Sprite (& OW)Inserter (Again, I'm ok but could use another or more)

And I am sure I am forgetting a bunch of things so if you want to be a part of this team then please post the following details:

Skills:
    Proof of work:
    Past experience:
    Contact information:

I am extremely excited for this project and plan to see this through the end. I am a perfectionist and won't stop until I see that this is the best hack it can possibly be so please sign up to be a member of this project! As soon as I finish the Orange Island World Map I'll post it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Just wanted to clear something up: while this will follow the anime it IS NOT episode by episode. There are elements from the anime (crystal onix, characters, etc...) but I am not going to do one of those hacks that follows the anime by the episode.

The more I have been thinking about the plot overall, I would say this is a nice mix between anime, manga, and new fresh ideas. For example, I am planning on the Shamouti Island Event but not exactly like the movie, in fact nothing like the movie at all. I decided on adding sub-plots with a few of the Kanto Elite Four (who are alto part of the overall plot but NOT like the manga) as well as appearances by newer characters from Orange Islands, Hoenn to Sinnoh (That is what I consider newer since this is supposed to be about Kanto, and Johto). And a few anime-styled tournaments to top it off...

The plot will be LONGGGGGGGGGGG............
    That is one of the things I hate about Pokemon games and how the plots are somewhat short (to my standards).

As for the World Map, I have had absolutely ZERO time to work on it. My dad had me go to work with him these past few days to earn some cash (and I definitely need it). So by the latest on Wednesday the map will be up. I'm a perfectionist so rest assured it will be good (.......I hope). :)

And as always there is a lot of room for this project. I can totally understand if you don't want to work with me because you don't like the theme, ideas, or are currently working on like 5 other Hacks. But if the reason is because it is my first hack, well I really don't know what to say. I am seeing this to the end no matter what.

Last edited:

Edgar7878

The name is Butch not Pingas.
    Years
    Skills: Umm, some tile adding(replacing), some mapping, some scripting, a little XSE, and I fusion pokemon or trainers sometimes(I cant add them, I dunno how to do that)
    Proof of work:
    Spoiler:
    or
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Past experience:A little hacking adventure with a friend.
    Contact information: PM

Note that I used to hack firered so it will be hard for me.
    And I know that in the map, there are a few tile errors, easy to fix that.

And I can find all OW's of all regular Pokemon. sorry for bad english.

Last edited:

Edgar7878

Years
    I'm waiting for your determination. And, if you want, I'll try to make the map of Orange Islands in hgss style. But I dunno how to insert it or edit its hexes etc.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I'm waiting for your determination. And, if you want, I'll try to make the map of Orange Islands in hgss style. But I dunno how to insert it or edit its hexes etc.

Sorry it took so long (I've been extremely busy). Yes, you are in.

As for the map, I am currently working on both a HGSS-Style and DPP-Style map. Once their completed I'll post them and see which one looks best and will fit in best overall.

On another note regarding sprites and OWs, I pretty much have everything I need except for a few custom ones I am doing. Same with tiles for maps.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I decided last night on what jobs this team needs to be filled and came up with this list:

Spriter: Open
    Tile Editor: Open (minor work, think of quality control)
    Tile & Sprite Inserter: Edgar7878, Learath2, Open
    Scripters: Edgar7878, Learath2, Open, Open
    Graphics Changer: Open
    Mapper: countryemo, Edgar7878, Open
    Music Hacker: Open
    Beta Testers: Open, Open, Open, Open

As time goes on and something comes up where we need another person, I'll just add to this post's list.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Finally decided on hacking FireRed as opposed to Ruby.

While I think Ruby might be a better choice, FireRed appears to have many more options regarding tools and what not (at least in my mind). With that being said, I'm making new tilesets so FireRed doesn't have any "FireRed Graphics" at all. It doesn't fit with my overall idea of what the Orange Islands need to be: bright, colorful, vibrant, and tropical (DUH... :) )

And there are still A LOT of positions available guys!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Beginning storyline revealed!

I figured that this thread looks a little bare, so here is the plot to the start of the hero/heroine's journey.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You wake up in your bedroom noticing the tv's still on. Just as you turn off the tv a news bulletin comes on announcing another new challenger for the Head Leader of the Orange Crew, Drake of Pummelo Island. Excited, you watch the end of the news flash and head downstairs when your mother says Professor Ivy has asked you to stop by the lab.

After a short walk you arrive at Professor Ivy's lab. You know Professor Ivy from being her lab assistant a year ago for the summer. Why would she ask for you to come to the lab now? As you step out you hear then end of a news flash stating some criminals broke into Professor Ivy's lab. They are still at large…"

You walk inside and notice Professor Ivy is waiting for you near three Pokeballs on a table. She says:

"Well now it's good to see you again _________! It's been a while hasn't it? You must be curious as to why you are here, right? As you can see there are three Pokeballs laying on this table beside me. Each has a Pokemon inside. You remember Professor Oak from Pallet Town in the Kanto region, right? Well I asked him to send over three starter Pokemon to the lab for you to select from. Because you turned 12 last month your mother agreed it is time she allowed you to go on your own journey. Please take a look at the Pokeballs and make a selection. The Pokeballs contain the grass Pokemon Bulbasaur, the fire Pokemon Charmander, and the water Pokemon Squirtle."

You make a selection which afterwards Professor Ivy replies:

"Right, well now that you have your new Pokemon I would like to ask you a favor on behalf of myself and Professor Oak. I present to you the PokeDex. Professor Oak personally invented this device which allows you to record data on Pokemon you have seen and caught. He thought it would be a nice late birthday present. Both of us would like for you share with us the data you find on the Pokemon throughout the Orange Islands. The archipelago is filled with Pokemon that have grown up in different habitats than the ones found in Kanto and this can lead them to look different than normal Pokemon."

You notice a number of books on the ground and Professor Ivy responds "Oh yes, sorry about the mess. I'm sure you have already heard about the thieves who broke into here. I have yet to clean up the mess they cause. Oddly enough, they didn't steal any of the equipment. It looks like they were only interested in my books, although I haven't discovered which books they took. Oh well, I'm sure the answer will reveal itself in time. Now I think it is time you started on your journey. I recommend you start by heading to Tangelo Island. You can catch a ferry from the port on the southern part of this island. Good luck!"

And as always, there are still plenty of positions open guys! I'd love to have a number of people on this project. And the World Map should be posted tomorrow sometime!

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Plot Teaser #1 (Be warned as it contains MANY questions...):

As you are traveling through the various islands of the Orange Archipelago training to take on the Orange Crew and the undefeated Head Leader, Drake, you stumble upon a plot that can ultimately change the world as we know it. Your Rival whom you've known since childhood has been acting strange lately and seems like he/she has a secret. Team Rocket has resurfaced once again in the Orange Islands, but something isn't right. What could their motive be behind all their actions. Someone broke into Professor Ivy's lab and took a certain unknown book. Who could be behind it? Why have the Kanto, Elite Four and Champion appeared in the Orange Islands? Who is this Cynthia that has come from the far off land of "Sinnoh" and why is she so interested in Shamouti Island and the legend of the "Beast of the Sea"? What is the relationship with the Orange Islands and the region of Johto? And above all...

...how will handle all of it?

Full of suspense right? Well the reason I don't want to give too many details here is because I want most of the game plot to actually be surprising. I think there is definitely enough information in there to come up with theories regarding the overall plot and who could be responsible (well, maybe not the latter).

And the World Map...

I was working on it for a while and thought it was junk so I trashed that one (HGSS Style). So I decided for now I am making one HUGE detailed map of the Orange Islands as in this upcoming hack and I'll try and figure out the best way to present the World Map on-screen in the game. As soon as I finish the big map I will post it immediately on here.

And once again, there are plenty of spots available for this team. I realize some of you may be not wanting to join this maybe to a lack of screenshots but there won't be any for a while. I am still working on custom sprites and tiles. So I still highly suggest you join and later on if you don't like the direction the hack is going then quit. Simple as that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Mapper
    When i have time, even though i dont know much about the oarnge islands :P
    and you plot seems interesting.. i cant see much of a hack though
    proof? uhh https://s839.photobucket.com/home/countryemo/index
    check the game maps album.
    vm/pm

Sounds good, and I like your maps. You're in. Don't worry if you don't know that much about the Orange Islands. I've been doing a ton of research on them (I tend to go overboard on the research so...)

And yeah, like I said it's my first hack so I don't have any screenshots, but I am getting some custom sprites, OWs, and tiles ready. As for the plot, I can tell you more by PM sometime.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    so when i apply in a thread you respond? lol
    anyways i meant i cant seemuch of the plot in a hack. i didnt talk about screens, ect
    thanks for accepting

countryemo

Years
    inserting sprites is easier then tiles o.O
    umm check wichu's? thread in the toolbox. all the stuff you need (for pokemon, im not sure about the rest)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Wait, I can insert/replace tiles but not sprites!

If you can only do tiles, that's alright. That's why there are a couple of positions available in that spot.

After a lot of work (which I probably did the hard way), I created a detailed world map of the Orange Islands as in-game. For the most part, this is finalized except for a few details I am going to add later (still working out how I'm going to do it in-game). The route setup is similar to the anime as in the progression of gameplay, but not exact so it can follow the story better. Any questions about anything on here feel free to ask away.

Team Orange Crew

Last edited:

Edgar7878

Years
    Oh my god! This is the largest map I've ever seen. If youre hacking Firered the map must be 192x144 or something close to it! This is UNINSERTABLE!
    But I must tell ya, the map is awesome!

countryemo

Years
    honestly i think some of the islands should be merged
    some are small with one location, i think its ok to maybe have 1/3 of those, but this is quite over done.

you could also keep it a bit bigger then one region. fr/lg comes with 2 :P. or 3. (but the other two (not kanto) are smaller). but this could work.

Also. what about we include new island? (mewtwo stricks back). not really oarnge island but might be fun :P

Last edited:

Learath2

Scripter
    Years
    Skills: Pokemon İnserting - Scripting - Advance Trainer - Learning ASM - Can work on both XSE and Pokéscript
    Proof:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Past Experiences: Teached people scripting and other things
    Contact info : PM for email

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Oh my god! This is the largest map I've ever seen. If youre hacking Firered the map must be 192x144 or something close to it! This is UNINSERTABLE!
    But I must tell ya, the map is awesome!

Thanks for the map size. I'm making a smaller one for the game. This one was just to show a somewhat detailed report of the game flow and what is included (or planned to be).

honestly i think some of the islands should be merged
    some are small with one location, i think its ok to maybe have 1/3 of those, but this is quite over done.

you could also keep it a bit bigger then one region. fr/lg comes with 2 :P. or 3. (but the other two (not kanto) are smaller). but this could work.

Also. what about we include new island? (mewtwo stricks back). not really oarnge island but might be fun :P

Yeah, there are a lot of smaller islands. A couple are essential (such as the one on the lower right-hand corner with the castle) but for the most part they should be merged. When I do the smaller map I'll do that.

I thought about doing New Island as another sidequest or something so that might be a fun idea.

Skills: Pokemon İnserting - Scripting - Advance Trainer - Learning ASM - Can work on both XSE and Pokéscript
    Proof:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Past Experiences: Teached people scripting and other things
    Contact info : PM for email

Accepted! Welcome to Team Orange Crew!

Edgar7878

Years
    Good news! I started to learn XSE! I might write cooler scripts with some effort!
    And Silver25, can you gimme the link of the banner?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Good news! I started to learn XSE! I might write cooler scripts with some effort!
    And Silver25, can you gimme the link of the banner?

Team Orange Crew

HTML:
    [URL=https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=227897][IMG]https://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6949/supportbanner.png[/IMG][/URL]

I'm going to make a few more sometime during this week when I find time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back