• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixelpusher's Dot Contest

Years
  • Welcome

Welcome to Pokécommunity's 2010 Get-together! This specific contest is called the Pixelpusher's Dot Contest. For this competition, you'll have to create a pixel art piece that matches the theme and abiding the rules of course.

What is Pixel Art?

Definition
    Pixel Art
    is a form of digital art, created through the use of raster graphics software, where images are edited on a pixel level. Graphics in most old(or relatively limited) computer and video games, graphic calculator games and many mobile phone games are pixel art.

Image filters (such as blurring or alpha-blending) or tools with automatic anti-aliasing are considered not valid tools for pixel art, as such tools calculate new pixel values automatically, contrasting with the precise manual arrangement of pixels associated with pixel art. This includes brushes and such like brushes from photoshop or GIMP that gives off anti-aliasing.

Saving
    Pixel Art is preferably stored in a file format utilizing lossless data compression, such as run-length encoding or an indexed colour palette. GIF and PNG are two file formats commonly used for storing pixel art. The JPEG format is avoided because its lossy compression algorithm is designed for smooth continuous-tone images and introduces visible artifacts in the presence of dithering.

Tutorials

Anti-alias
    Spoiler:

Saving
    Spoiler:

Shading
    Spoiler:

Lineart
    Spoiler:

Credits to Wikipedia for pixel art information. Pixel joint and it's members for the tutorials

The Contest

Bag_Pok%C3%A9_Balls_pocket_icon.png
    Rules

• You are only allowed to enter new pixel art pieces specifically made for this event. No using pixels that you already made.
    • This is open to everyone. Anyone can enter abiding the rules and theme/restrictions of course.
    • Participants must enter their piece before the deadline.
    • The piece must be 100% scratch. Pixel overs will not be accepted.
    • You may post your WIPS(Work in Progress) and you can update/edit your entry ONLY before the deadline.
    • Please for the sake of the human race, save it as PNG format. If you accidentally saved it as JPEG, it is not a problem. You may enter the entry but it may be more difficult to judge on it.

Bag_Key_items_pocket_icon.png
    Theme and Restrictions
    The theme to the contest is:
    Pokémon Scene - For this theme you will have to create a scene with however much Pokémon you would like to be in the scene. You may make the Pokémon sleeping, eating or maybe in an intense battle. Your scene can be placed at a mountain, a cave, it really is your choice.

Canvas - Atleast bigger than 100px x 100px
    Colours - Unrestricted. (as much as you'd like) When posting your entry, please add in how many colours you used.
    Transparency - Yes you allowed transparency.
    Animation - Yes you are able to choose to animate it or not. Your score however may or may not be affected from the animation. (it depends on the quality of the animation)

Bag_TMs_and_HMs_pocket_icon.png
    Judgement
    Your entries will be marked on;
    Creativity - /10
    Skill - /10
    Theme - /10

The judging may take long, the results will be announced when the judging is complete.

*note: remember judges, when judging you will have to explain why you chose this certain entry to be in first, second or third place. You are also allowed to add in your own comments and criticism.

Bag_Battle_items_pocket_icon.png
    Awards
    You will be awarded an emblem for:
    1st Place Emblem
    2a4tuc.jpg

You get this by winning 1st place in the contest.
    2nd Place Emblem
    1zfoaja.jpg

You get this by winning 2nd place in the contest.
    3rd Place Emblem
    6ehjqg.jpg

You get this by winning 3rd place in the contest.
    Participation Emblem
    jkdmbm.jpg

You get this by participating in the contest.

Bag_Mail_pocket_icon.png
    Conclusion
    I wish you all a goodluck, get to spriting!

Hosted by, Logiedan, UltimaSilva. Judges are, Ben. , Chibi Robo and Logiedan as a backup judge. Staff Supervisor is Scarf and thread approved by Scarf.

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • There's 2 thread of these xD Just needed to tell you that. Ohh...
    I'm so bad at pixel art Dx
    If I try, I get a participant emblem though... Hm..

Years
  • Yeah, I talked to Luke about deleting the other. Also, you should try! You still get something out of trying, so it won't be a total loss if you lose.

Years
  • Yes, of course. Just remember the rules~
    This contest is open for everyone.
    Edited the thread, please take note of the bold.
    Colours - Unrestricted. (as much as you'd like) When posting your entry, please add in how many colours you used.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'll givve it a try! I just ogged in after a while to see the get-together was in progress! EDIT: Are we allowed to make trainer sprites for this?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    piplupflies.png
    <
    piplupflies.png
    This is my WIP(Work In Progress. Piplup can fly! With the help of the floating bubble around him. EDIT: NEW WIP

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Mm, sprite scenes. I have a pretty epic idea for this one...if I can pull it off...when is the deadline?

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • my entry

my entry entitled: "Meowth Gets Pwned" -used 21 colors
    WIP !!! Sorry I didn't realize the spray thingy in paint wasn't allowed X_X I'll remove the part that has it and do it by hand. (And change it to gif XP )
    picture.php

Last edited:
    Years
  • @Rabbit
    The deadline at the end of the Get-Together. The judging process will take quite a while but the results will be posted when the judging is finished.

@Netish
    As a spriter, I despise JPEG format, but nonetheless your entry is accepted.
    Edit: After close examining, I noticed that this is actually just a drawing, you also used the spray paint thing tool. :/ NOT ACCEPTED.

Last edited:
    Years
  • @ShinyPolitoed
    Your entry is not accepted as it is not pixel art, it is more of a mere drawing using MS Paint.
    Here is his entry:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Correct, look at my above post. Netish's entry is not accepted.
    Keep spriting! c:
    @Netish
    As a spriter, I despise JPEG format, but nonetheless your entry is accepted.
    Edit: After close examining, I noticed that this is actually just a drawing, you also used the spray paint thing tool. :/ NOT ACCEPTED.

Your entry is accepted btw.

Jung

Sica please.
    Years
  • My entry. :D

Took so long to make it. XD actually like an hour.
    From scratch! All in paint.. using pencil and bucket fill. xD.
    Used 9 colors

Spoiler:

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Here is my pixel art for the contest:
    magikarpworking.jpg

The simple life of a magikarp
    7 colors were used to make this

Back