• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen All DW Pokemon art revealed

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Source

All the Dream World artwork recently got revealed.

A brief rundown: When the Dream World was first released, the older Pokemon and a select few Unova Pokemon received their Dream World artwork, such as Pikachu and the Unova starters. However, some Pokemon, such as Timburr and Ferroseed, did not receive their DW art at the same time as the others. Now, those Pokemon have gotten their own DW art and can be viewed here. (some scrolling may be required)

So, let me ask you something: What's your favorite DW artwork among the 646 Pokemon who received it and why? What's your least favorite one? Do you like the Sugimori art or the DW art better?

My answers:
    1. Gallade's DW art, because it looks better than its Sugimori art, IMO. Archeops' DW art also looks intimidating.
    2. My least favorite one would be Excadrill's; it looks a lot like its Sugimori artwork. Cryogonal's DW art scares me; it looks like it's staring right at me.
    3. I like both equally, because some Pokemon look better in one version of their artwork than the other.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    All DW Pokemon art revealed

The colours seem off but it is in a very nice pose!

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    I love the Dream World artwork so I'm glad they're all released now. I don't really have a favorite; I just like the style in general. Also, did anyone notice Kyurem's claws are transparent on his artwork?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Right now, shockingly, my favourite is Crimgan/Druddigon. I also like Thundurus'. There are other stunning Dream World artwork, but I'm surprised that the art has made such unappealing Pokemon look awesome - Crimgan especially. It also makes DPPT Pokemon look good!!

All DW Pokemon art revealed

^The art, so ya'll know what I'm talking about.

Overall, I generally prefer Dream World art, because it makes the Pokemon usually have awesome poses and looks much cleaner. :x I just prefer that style of art, anyways.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I find the Dream World Artwork a nice diversion from the more realistic style of the Sugomori art.

My favorite would be Crimgan because of her oversized invisible sub sandwich she appears to be enjoying.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Victini will have to be my favorite due to me noticing it looks as if it is praying and i find that kinda funny xD

CrowSama

Too. Much. Caffine.
    Years
    My favorite has to be Electrike/Manectrics DW art. Not sure why, I guess because the Sugimori artwork makes them look too serious and not very friendly. My least favorite is probably Zoroarks, because it looks to similar to the Sugimori art.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Wow, I really dislike Pikachu's actually. It looks much better in the anime. Lickitung's freaks me out when I'm actually in the Dream World and he's already waiting in a screen...I jump every time. Bellossom is adorable though. And Sunkern, surprisingly enough. Other ones I like:

-Larvitar
    -Linoone
    -Kricketot
    -Whimsicott
    -Dwebble
    -Eelektross

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I'm not really a fan of any

They look like an 11 year old drew them; the proportions on some look terrible

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I like most of them, they simply look like anime artwork because of their cel shading. However, some of them have awful proportions like Pidgeot. Its head is super big! I prefer Sugimori's art in general since his coloring is more artistic; everyone uses cel shading.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The Dream World art is pretty much generally awful.

Disregarding some of the worst art with proportional errors, lacklustre colouring and even design inconsistencies, the entire style looks like a beginner's foray into drawing vector artwork in Flash, with chunky, machine-perfect line widths and an awful shading style - when the shading is there (which is rare because most pieces are almost totally flat-shaded) it barely gives depth to the pieces, while the shading is coloured barely darker than the original colour, neither does the hue of the colour change in any significant amount (Compare how Sugimori colours Reshiram to how it's done in the Dream World art - in Sugimori's piece he takes on a sharp blue tint in darker areas, whilst in the DW art he turns a slightly darker shade of grey)

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like most of them, they simply look like anime artwork because of their cel shading. However, some of them have awful proportions like Pidgeot. Its head is super big! I prefer Sugimori's art in general since his coloring is more artistic; everyone uses cel shading.

Completely agree with this. The bad proportions are what ruin a good handful of these pieces. They're an interesting change, but I'll stick to the Sugimori artwork.

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    They're fairly neat--vector/cel shaded style and Ken Sugimori's style are two different things and it isn't fair to compare the two. The Dream World style is meant to be flat-shaded to work with Flash rather than something meant to stand on its own (like in an art book). The vector art is also supposed to 'pop' out of the page where the backgrounds are made to look like a story book illustration, which it does. There was probably a limited color palette that the designers had to stick to (owing to the nature of the program) which might explain why the colors are so off on a number of the Pokemon.

There are a few neat poses in the Dream World art and I think it works for the medium. Personally I like Sugimori's art style better, but it's always interesting to see how other artists interpret the same designs with their own medium.

Back