• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blackout Poetry Competition - December edition just started!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    The Blackout Poetry Competition!
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]It is less lovely than chocolate but still pretty good![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

What is it?
    Basically, blackout poetry involves you using a page from a book/webpage, article or the like and blacking out most of the words upon it so the remaining visible words make a poem. For example!

How is it run?
    Every month a new theme will be made around which the poem must be based around. You have three weeks to submit your entry, and the rest of the month is reserved for judging. Post the original source as well just so we can see what you were working from.

The judging itself is carried out by... you, the user! Yes, you, in front of the computer screen! It's likely another thread will be made for this, or this one would be just used for casting votes, but feel free to sugest how you think it should be done. Naturally you won't be able to vote for yourself because that would be UNCOOL.

Rules!
    - No plagiarising. That gets you disqualified and a large permanent infraction for your troubles.
    - One entry per person.
    - Post your entry in this thread via putting the image of your poem in a spoiler or linking to it.
    - Feel free to discuss entries here! Just make sure to follow the rules of the forum by doing so.

Current Theme:

CHRISTMAS

Remember - you have until the 23rd December, 11:59 EST to get in your entry!

Current Entrants:
    None yet.

Previous editions!

COLOUR
    Spoiler:

LOVE
    Spoiler:

Credit to Toujours for suggesting this!

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Question: is it required to post the original source we use? As in, should I post a link to where I got my text from?

On that note, does it have to be a book page? Can I use a webpage or something instead?

That aside, I'll go ahead and post my entry, because I want to be the first. n_n

Spoiler:

It's from page seven of the play A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. You can find the original screenshot I worked from here. The theme . . . well, it doesn't follow the theme in the conventional sense. I feel colour from it, but . . . okay, it's a bit iffy. If it's not close enough, I'll just make another one. >_>

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Question: is it required to post the original source we use? As in, should I post a link to where I got my text from?

On that note, does it have to be a book page? Can I use a webpage or something instead?
    Yeah, it'll probably be better if we could see the original too, so added a bit about that in.

And webpages are perfectly fine.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:

...I made this before I read the actual theme... oh well.
    I've never done poetry and this seemed fun, so I thought I'd give it a go x) !

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I wanna enter :3
    But because of the whole not being able to link until I have 15 posts thing, I put them in attachments. I hope that's okay..?
    Attachments are fine, so entry accepted!
    Spoiler:

...I made this before I read the actual theme... oh well.
    I've never done poetry and this seemed fun, so I thought I'd give it a go x) !
    Well if you want to change it to fit said theme and replace this current one you can I guess... anyways, also accepted.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I'm going to enter. But quick question first, is it legal to cut off only parts of a word.
    For example, if I wanted to make the word "plain" in my poem, I'd use the word "explain" in the source and cut off the "ex". Is that allowed?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I'm going to enter. But quick question first, is it legal to cut off only parts of a word.
    For example, if I wanted to make the word "plain" in my poem, I'd use the word "explain" in the source and cut off the "ex". Is that allowed?
    Late, but yes, it is allowed to do that.

Bit over a week left now, so get moving people!

Years
    Here's my entry. Not the best I could do, I think, but I found colour a surprisingly difficult topic to work with in this blackout style.

Spoiler:

And here's the original page, taken from British fungus-flora: A classified text-book of mycology By George Massee

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Visual poetry, I'd love to enter. Don't hold me to an entry though, but I'll most certainly give it some thought. Nice to see some poetry competitions thrown into the mix for a change.

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
    Soo, reposting this submission. Sorry for the inconvenience >.<

For those who don't know, a little explanation:

I had another account here a loong time ago, but some personal family issues came up that pulled me away from PC for months. By the time I came back, I'd been forgotten, so I decided to start anew with a fresh account. However, a short time later, ANOTHER personal matter came up, one that took all internet access from me for six solid months. By the time I'd come back, I was once again pretty much forgotten. So I decided to start over -again-, for the last time.

But see, while I was gone, I'd been missing PC and thought of the PERFECT username that I wanted when I came back, since I pretty much knew I'd be forgotten, I hadn't really made many friends yet. However, when I got back and went through the whole registration process, I could not remember that username. I was literally on the registration page for a good two hours trying to remember it. Finally I just gave up and named my username 'River'. The bitter irony is, a short time later, I remembered the username I wanted. So, after a short time deliberating whether or not it was worth creating a new account so soon over, I decided it was and made it, basically abandoning this account. However, I'd joined this contest, and it wouldn't be fair for anyone here if I won the contest and an abandoned account got the prize/award/recognition/bragging rights. So, I went to bobandbill and asked him what I should do, and he said it was okay for me to resubmit it under this account :3

So that ish what I'm doing. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, and for being so shallow over a username. Also, if you read all of that, congratulations. You deserve a cookie. xD

Attachments

• Blackout Poetry Competition - December edition just started!
      Blackout Poetry.png
      31.4 KB · Views: 180
    • Blackout Poetry Competition - December edition just started!
      Rainbow Wikipedia.png
      173.6 KB · Views: 9

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    This is my attempt. Finding passages that have colour in them is harder than it seems, but luckily I have the most amazing book lying around here and I was sure that I was going to find something in there. I have the book in real, but looked up the e-book version since I don't have my scanner here.

Spoiler:

This is the original passage, from the book 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoevsky. One of my favourite books.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well that's it for entries for this month, and so voting has begun in this separate thread! Please vote and discuss the entries if you want to as well. Voting ends around the end of the month, and when that happens the next one will start.

Also, a few questions posed to you - new thread or continue with this one for next month's edition? (I'm inclined to go with the latter myself). Also, does anyone have suggestions for next month's theme? And if you have any other comments/suggestions, post away.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Okay, firstly - congrats to Scarf for winning the first edition!

You new theme is Love as per suggestions! You have until the 23rd October, 11:59 EST to get your entry in (a day earlier than last time because of the slightly earlier start). Good luck!

Last edited:

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
    Ugh another theme I'm not all too good at writing about. -sigh- well I'm still going to join this one. I'll post my entry soon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Welll you can try PM'ing it if you don't have the posts to myself, or submitting it as an attachment? Alternatively make 15 posts as you have three weeks to get in your entry which is plenty of time for that. (That restriction btw is to restrict adbots, basically, as well as spammers I suppose as a secondary reason).

Back