• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Those major, tiny omissions

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    The one thing that I didn't like isn't exactly ambient, but I didn't like the mini-cliffs, or whatever you want to calll them. They looked plain bad. But the normal cliffs looked good though.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    to me its the graphics sprites of the pokes. theyre as if lacking of colours to me, abit plain and monocoloured imo. idk but i like it with more colours and shades

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Well I can finally trade online (ie. trade at all), and now Porygon can't be bought anywhere.
    I can bring it from earlier versions, so I'm not too bothered, but it's mighty inconvenient.

Also, Jolteon has no tail in its back-sprite, while it apparently should have a very short one and can even use Iron Tail.

Years
  • No L=A.

I loved playing one handed, saved me tons of time while snacking, looking something up, etc. Now I've got to stop playing every time I want to do something. Furthermore, my right thumb always gets tired quickly, so the L=A thing was supper important.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I didn't like that some of the older Pokemon reused sprites from past Gen IV games, like the Chimchar line. I would've liked it if all 493 Pokemon before the Unova ones got totally new sprites, not just a select few of them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The issue with not being able to have level 100 full battles on wi-fi without actually getting your Pokémon to 100. If you want one of those at the current generation, you'll have to resort to PO, which I don't have.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Vs. Seeker. Why omit the single greatest innovation to the franchise since Miror B.'s afro? Combined with the Exp system change, it made leveling up exceedingly tedious, something not even Audino and a free Lucky Egg could compensate for.

And honestly, it wasn't just that omission alone, but a combination of it and a few other details (horrid menu, horrid protagonist design, and the aforementioned horrid Exp system) that led me to sell back my copy of White to GameStop.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    No VS Seeker made Xulek very sad. That and the mini game you had to do to transfer Pokes from 4th gen games to the current ones was infuriating to say the very least.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • As PlatinumDude said, the fact that the Pokemon from Generation I-IV didn't receive new sprites was disappointing in my opinion. I too would have preferred new sprite poses. To be honest, I'd prefer new sprite poses than the recycled animated sprites we have for some Pokemon.

I agree with what others have said about the lack of a V.S. Seeker. In D/P/P the key item came in handy many times for me, particularly when it came to level grinding. Hopefully it comes back. D:

The Pal Park too. I much preferred using the Pal Park than playing that new mini-game.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I didn't like that some of the older Pokemon reused sprites from past Gen IV games, like the Chimchar line. I would've liked it if all 493 Pokemon before the Unova ones got totally new sprites, not just a select few of them.

I agree with this, the fact they recycled really annoyed me.

Another thing that annoyed me was they could of created more gender differences within the fifth generation of Pokemon.

:t354:TG

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Not so much that it affected gameplay but at some point I kind of missed the VS seeker, or just rematches with trainers in general. Yeah now that I'm thinking this over again I actually realize that I like B/W the least of all.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • VS Seeker had been always a nice feature of the games during the past generations. however, its removal, and the addition of the more complex EXP gaining system, really made it hard for trainers to train more and such. yes, the lucky egg and proper use of the new exp system is great, but not that great, as soon you will be resorting to wild Pokemons for battle.

Years
  • VS Seeker had been always a nice feature of the games during the past generations. however, its removal, and the addition of the more complex EXP gaining system, really made it hard for trainers to train more and such. yes, the lucky egg and proper use of the new exp system is great, but not that great, as soon you will be resorting to wild Pokemons for battle.

At least you have Audinos to fight in shaking grass and Lucky Eggs are now easier to get (after beating the game, on Route 13 there is a man who gives you a held item every day and Lucky Egg is one of them. I have two Lucky Eggs in my Black).

Yeah, the revamped EXP gain system did trouble some of my stronger Pokemon, my main battlers are currently in their 80's.

I might eventually dump some of my main battlers in the PC once they get to Lv100 (I'm keeping Samurott cos he's my starter and either my Gothitelle or Chandelure depending on what Pokemon I want to focus my training on).

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • A lot of things that they added in HGSS that got removed annoyed me.
    Auto running shoes was great, I didn't have to break my B button, I REALLY miss following Pokemon, that was great (Well, I guess maybe they wanted it to be special for HGSS but still)
    The removal of the Vs.Seeker, and I'll think of more later :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Another thing that annoyed me was they could of created more gender differences within the fifth generation of Pokemon.

I think it's fine imo, considering how we have Jellicent and Frillish which actually DO show the gender differences, as well as Unfezant etc, which is something that hasn't occurred that much in older games (or not really major differences).

Years

• I think it's fine imo, considering how we have Jellicent and Frillish which actually DO show the gender differences, as well as Unfezant etc, which is something that hasn't occurred that much in older games (or not really major differences).

I actually like the obvious gender differences with Frillish, Jellicent and Unfezant.

My Unfezant is female, so is my Jellicent and they both have a nature that raises Special Attack.

For Frillish, I like the female (pink) ones cos they're cuter than the male (blue) Frillish.

Years
  • I had a problem with not beimg able to change the frame of the dialogue box, I understand everyone had the little arrows like comic book strips but I wish it would of been the same as the old school.
    I love black and white, ive beat black twice, and last night I traded all my legends and really rare stuff to my black from my white and going to restart it later today for the 4th time. I havent replayed like this since yellow came out, I was likr 8 or so. Sooo, dont get me wrong, o think the games are great, nut one thing I have been hoping for since d/p/p is more in depth personalization, if not a create a character let us atleast have a choice in wardrobe, amd haircuts or something, some of the most fun I jave after the maim story os personalizing different teams through nature, ev, and move set, why cant we personalize the protaganist yet

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
    Years
  • why cant we personalize the protaganist yet

I would most certainly like that.

One thing I was really sad about B/W was that there was no more pokemon following my trainer. The fact, also, that no previous pokemons were obtainable until the end of the game. (I understand the reason, the fact that Unova is afar from the previous regions, but still, it bugged me). The removal of the "constant-running" button was also a letdown.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    I definately think the how most of the sprites were the same as previous games.. rather than completely new sprites for the 493 previous pokemon.

Back