Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

TrollandToad.com

Old June 30th, 2017 (9:42 PM).
LOSTinmyMIND
  • Platinum Tier
  • GTGet-Together Event Management

Nature: Quiet
I remember back in Gen IV when PokeRadar chaining was a pretty hot thing. For those of you who don't know, the PokeRadar was a method introduced back in DPPt that allowed the player to chain a specific type of Pokemon and potentially get a shiny! This is also useful for EV training as well, since chaining the same Pokemon over and over and defeating it while holding any of the Power items is super convenient (well, at the time, anyway).

So share your PokeRadar chaining experiences! How did you like this feature? What was your first shiny chained from it? How was your experience EV Training with it? Anything related to PokeRadar chaining (or the PokeRadar itself), feel free to share. n.n

I know I'm not alone

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 2nd, 2017 (12:16 PM).

Nature: Hardy
    I can check my Poketch and see that my biggest chain was 8 Magnemite. Only recently I understood the mechanic properly and learned you should walk around if you got bad patches until you get your desired ones.

It's still a thing I'd like to try sometime, but I don't have a lot of patience. Besides, the shaking of the patches isn't very visible in DP and was only fixed in Platinum.

The Great Egg Swap XI - 2nd place

Old July 8th, 2017 (3:12 AM).
    LOSTinmyMIND
    • Platinum Tier

I felt like I was kind of tremendously unlucky with PokeRadar chaining and I never really understood how people got shinies with it. Sometimes I would hit like... 30 chains or so before I would eventually give up. I know there's some method out there where you'd have to have the encounter on some specific patch of grass or something or other but at the time it seemed more complicated to me than it needed to be.

I know I'm not alone

Old July 10th, 2017 (12:55 AM).

Nature: Hardy
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by colours View Post
      I felt like I was kind of tremendously unlucky with PokeRadar chaining and I never really understood how people got shinies with it. Sometimes I would hit like... 30 chains or so before I would eventually give up. I know there's some method out there where you'd have to have the encounter on some specific patch of grass or something or other but at the time it seemed more complicated to me than it needed to be.
      I felt the same way, and at 10 you just don't want to spend hours trying to learn how it works. :/

30 is so high though aah!! Too bad you gave up. Were you looking for a shiny/perfect Pokémon or were you just playing around with the radar?

The Great Egg Swap XI - 2nd place

Old July 11th, 2017 (6:10 AM).

Wasn't a fan, I'd rather try to random encounter a shiny pokemon than by pokeradar. LIke seriously, I had high chains and even by walking into the right patch of grass a different pokemon appears, it was frustrating and I didn't use it much afterwards. Never got a shiny using that thing.
        Old July 13th, 2017 (2:41 AM).
        Dragon user

Nature: Lonely
          Never able to do it. Impossible to do in my opinion.
          Old July 19th, 2017 (1:39 PM).
          LOSTinmyMIND
          • Platinum Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SleepyTrainer View Post
          Wasn't a fan, I'd rather try to random encounter a shiny pokemon than by pokeradar. LIke seriously, I had high chains and even by walking into the right patch of grass a different pokemon appears, it was frustrating and I didn't use it much afterwards. Never got a shiny using that thing.
          Yeah, I get your point. :\ As I mentioned, shiny hunting was kinda more complicated than it really needed to be in Gen IV because you had to step on a certain patch of grass and whatnot... fairly annoying. PokeRadar chaining (for me at least) was far more useful when I was EV Training my Pokemon than anything else.

I know I'm not alone

Old July 20th, 2017 (7:25 AM).
          it's pretty late
          • Silver Tier

Nature: Sassy
          I never really understood how it worked. It was fun, but I kept breaking the chains really early. I cannot see the differences at all in the shaking grass :(

Quick Reply