• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials Keeps Opening Debug Menu Automatically

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • The game worked up til remapping from FRLG into HGSS.

I have not touched any scripts. I do not have custom scripts.

I have not touched events. I have not modified the already-included Essentials "Pokemon Intro" event in any way, shape or form.

The game worked 100% perfectly until I changed a few maps into HGSS graphics.

Now, whenever I resume my game or restart a new one, the menu opens into the Debug automatically (Debug as in, the Switches, Variables, Metadata, etc. menu that you can access normally by pressing ESC in-game). It occurs from my previous save in Professor Oak's lab (remapped in HGSS) and when I start a new game. Instead of showing Professor Oak as it should, it opens the Debug menu!

But when I try to exit the menu, the menu reopens anyway! It's in an infinite loop.

The "Pokemon Intro" event wasn't touched in any way. I double-checked to make sure there wasn't anything modified, and there's nothing in the event that would force-open the Debug menu right when you press "New Game."

Why has it started doing this suddenly, when I've only touched Tilesets?

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    No idea, can you give me a download link to your newly messed up version and I'll take a quick look (not saying I can fix it) but it's better than nothing

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I've just come online, which is a coincedence, so I'll download it now and take a look

EDIT:

I opened the game in RPGMaker, as you did, I take it... Since you're saying debug comes up... I clicked New Game, because that's all I could click... And it played fine.

The debug menu never appeared once for me... So I tried using it through game.exe... Again, was completely fine.

I can't see the problem with changing tiles, I did it once to an old project and that was fine, I can't see any problems, minus gameplay problems.

Make sure you've deleted your save game completely, start a New Game, and see.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Oh, wth, I tried in Game.exe and it worked! So why the heck is it only doing it when I open it through RMXP and try to run the game? T_T

CamStudio and DxTory isn't working to record a video either. This sucks. Just imagine you click New Game in game.exe, you select language, the blue screen appears for Prof. Oak but the image never displays - the menu opens, closes, opens, closes, opens, closes - and te game never progresses anywhere.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Each time I tried, it works fine... I don't know, maybe your keyboard is stuck haha!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • But I have two keyboards and it doesn't do itttt :( I have my default laptop integrated board and a USB keyboard. I don't think that's the issue. Also, how am I opening the menu during an Autorun script at the beginning of the game? Key inputs are turned off during those kinds of events; even if the key ESC was stuck, it shouldn't be allowed to do that!

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    This is a doozey! I can't replicate the problem! Unless there is a way for you to show me... You may have to compile using RPGMaker but test with game.exe until it resolves itself...

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I can't replicate that at all... I've deleted stuff, changed stuff, added stuff, moved stuff... Nothing will bring that menu up... My advice, grab a fresh Essentials, add your scripts (if you have any) then paste in your folders and see if that solves the issue.

What scripts have you messed with? I'll take a look at those, not that it will make any difference since I have a working copy of your game :/

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I have not touched any scripts. I do not have custom scripts.

I'll try what you said after work. Come back for a post edit in nine hours or more lol

[Edit]

Nope. I downloaded a new copy into a new folder, copy/pasted the files and it still happens. Really not sure what to make of this.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Still having the problem I see... Try running the game under administration... Then Service pack 2... Then both, see what happens... Don't like when nobody can help, I know i'd be getting frustrated

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I believe that your F9 is messed, let's make a test:

In PokemonControls change
    Code:
          when Input::F8
            return [0x77] # F8
          when Input::F9
            return [0x78] # F9
    to
    Code:
          when Input::F9
            return [0x77] # F8
          when Input::F8
            return [0x78] # F9
    Did the error continues and/or you hear several screenshots sound effects?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Hey, it doesn't do it anymore :D I can see Oak finally LOL

But what would cause that to happen so randomly? I didn't touch anything in there - no need to, after all - and it just randomly started up while editing maps :\

Thanks FL.

Back